Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is why I will NEVER buy another Creative product again

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

I signed up just to post a comment.

It is totally unacceptable that Creative is doing this.

They purposely cripple thier drivers for Vista, and in general for older cards, in order to force you to buy new hardware.

Express your discontent in this forum as well as in Creative's forum. Let your voice be heard, and punish companies for such practices. The best way to punish them is to never buy their prodcuts again, and to tell everyone else the same.

I am not telling you not to buy Creative - but am informing you of their practices so that you can make your own decision.

I will end this post with a great review of a great product that I am now considering, from a company that does not screw their customers - ASUS.
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=505

Mr_Speedy (a former loyal buyer of Creative products)

PS: The vista drivers for my Audigy 4 are so bad that the original sound blaster 16 was better. I don't even have a basic bass/treble slider, which was present and worked flawlessly on the sound blaster 16.
    Last edited by Mr_Speedy; 03-30-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Re: This is why I will NEVER buy another Creative product again

I read a lot of that link ypu posted and agree with you , that creative cards are not worth it . IMO They should hire you to write drivers for them , and if they were smart would do so .... but creative is on its way out IMO because of they attitude . one day they will find themselfs bankrupt if they dont change their ways
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I have a x-fi and it works fine but I know eventually I will have to replace it. I am in total agreement that if they advertised they would support Vista they should. The next real question is what sound card is good enough to dump a x-fi in perfect working condition? I saw the asus mentioned over there more than a few times.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

Quote Originally Posted by 0156 View Post
    I have a x-fi and it works fine but I know eventually I will have to replace it. I am in total agreement that if they advertised they would support Vista they should. The next real question is what sound card is good enough to dump a x-fi in perfect working condition? I saw the asus mentioned over there more than a few times.
    please correct me if I am wrong , but is not the Asus just a glorifed Cmedia 8788 chipset ?
    Me I am thinking of dumping creative on my next reformat . The card sounds good , but even with the latest official drivers it puts quite a load on my system.

Edit : I just uninstalled the XFI and poped in the bluegears , boot up and load times went way down, system is snappier . this will be my last creative card
    Last edited by brothergc; 03-30-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    please correct me if I am wrong , but is not the Asus just a glorifed Cmedia 8788 chipset ?
    Me I am thinking of dumping creative on my next reformat . The card sounds good , but even with the latest official drivers it puts quite a load on my system.

Edit : I just uninstalled the XFI and poped in the bluegears , boot up and load times went way down, system is snappier . this will be my last creative card
    I can tell you, the ASUS cards use the CMEDIA 8788HD chip. I've got my HT Omega Claro, running my games, music and movies just fine.

I dumped Creative long time ago. I'm running the latest drivers for my card, and it doesn't use a boatload of resources like Creative cards do.

Thank god the guy isn't prosecuted by Creative and is still allowed to publish his mods without those "forbidden" parts (like allowing Alchemy to work on competitor's sound cards).

I will feel really sorry for the guy if Creative did sent him to the court (will definitely stop buying creative products in this case).

Marmo:
    Ci5 760 + Asus P7P55D-E Pro + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB(RAID0)/500GB(Data) HDDs running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 4570 + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H + 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C10 + MSI GTX660 TwinFrozr + 150GB(System)/1TB(Data) HDDs running Win8 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 500GB(32GB mSATA SSD) HDD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows server):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-15000C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 250GB(System)/2x400GB(RAID1) HDDs running Win2008 R2 Ent x64.

Flame (Linux server):
    C2Q Q9550 + Asus P5K-VM + 2x2GB G.Skill PK-8500C5 + Onboard GMA3100 + 300GB(System)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 5.8 x64.

Raiden (htpc):
    Ci3 2100T + Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H + 2x2GB Corsair XMS3-12800C8 + Intel HD1000 + 250GB HDD running Win7 Pro x64

My understanding is that he was assembling drivers using pieces of code written for other sound cards and containing pieces of code licensed from e.g. Dolby. Then for these mods he was asking for donations on creative own forums.
    I think he was not right on both accounts. This is not to say that Creative was right. I think both sides could simply talk instead of throwing mud at each other (Well, but then it would not be fun to watch LOL!)

Apparently they have worked out some kind of agreement as he said on creative forums yesterday that he was allowed to "provide patches instead of the actual binaries, because of licensed technologies built into them (Dolby/DTS)"

if i were you i'd look into audiophile cards. a good card, a mapletree audio headphone amp, some jvc dx1000 headphone and some decent cables and your set..... sooooooo set...... *drool*
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Yeah, I am done with creative also. The fact that they intentionally created such a stupid situation with the drivers coupled with the fact that they go after the first person that fixes it is just really quite sad.

What is another company besides ASUS that you guys are looking at?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

It is recently trendy to blame everything on Creative (including situation in Iraq, bad drought in Etiopia, some people even claim they got terrible warts after they installed recent beta drivers).

In fact Creative work with Linux developers and have recently released new Linux beta while open source Linux are prepared by ALSA. As I said already this guy that copy-pasted somebody's else code into new packages and tried SELLING this as his work on Creative own forums must have been primarily an idiot. I am sure if he did something like that at ASUS boards he would be simply banned.

Speaking of ASUS as they were mentioned again - they falsely advertize EAX 5 support when they actually only offer EAX 2 and that is done in software. Spend $100 or $200 on sound card and use CPU for calculation. This mean you effectively pay for a driver. Anyone who plays games as opposed to those who primarily sell hardware can hear the difference between basic software EAX and extended EAX (3, 4, 5) done in hardware.

From what I have gathered from reading a few sources:

1. Creative intentionally crippled the cards and said they had no idea how to fix it.

2. The coder in brazil was looking at previous versions of the creative driver and saw the crippling.

3. Based on past and present drivers, he created a new driver that used the features Creative said it didn't know how to do.

4. He then started to add other features from other cards.

5. He asked for donations.

6. Creative took legal action.

As far as I'm concerned, Creative screwed up pretty bad. When a single dude in Brazil, in his free time, can get the features that you claim your entire drivers team can't... then how am I , as a buyer, supposed to have any confidence in such ineptness?
    Last edited by Gator650; 04-21-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

The thing that I hate is that if you have working drivers for Vista 64 on any sound chip by some stroke of luck, the drivers are very buggy. There is a very noticeable drop in support for users of Vista 64 in general. Both hardware and software. Not just Creative. It just seems to me that Microsoft screwed the pooch on this one. Drivers are still in their infant phase though, it seems, with all soundcard makers. Some work, some don't, some probably work well in Vista 32. Some proclaim they simply will not even start making drivers for Vista. To that we say good luck. But apparently, the PC sound industry is under fire by Microsoft, no less. They're the ones who created a buggy and proprietary sound architecture for their operating system. I can't hardly put much stock in CreativeLabs-centric conspiracies knowing there isn't even much else to choose from anyway.

Maybe they know they can't support the full range of their products, because they know their limitations. You're asking a company famous for buggy sound drivers to build them from the ground up and make them work on the full range of products and possible system configurations. But I really don't see enough companies stepping up to the plate. Apparently, it's too niche a market to warrant a large enough company able to support their own products. These places must have offices in out-houses, I swear.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

because of this it makes me want to dump my xfi. only problem is i don't know what to replace it with

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    because of this it makes me want to dump my xfi. only problem is i don't know what to replace it with
    pick up a bluegears B Inspirer , I have run a XFI and a bluegears , and I do game BTW. I can tell NO difference except my system runs better without the crappy creative drivers