Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Well, I'm officially back in the game

Well I'm writing on the new pc as we speak...few hiccups along the way but nothing major....still running at stock speeds will probably let the arctic silver cure for a day before going too crazy. Still only running on 4gigs of RAM and one vid card....gonna have to do some serious cable organization to fit that other monster in there

Well 4 x 800 for 3.2 ghz was super easy....at least for stability in windows....gonna have to prime it before I give it the thumbs up.

How does the performance seem to you compared with what you were using?

Well I'll say this much....the difference between using vista64 with 2gb vs. 4gb is really astounding. I haven't even put the other 4 gigs in yet but ive heard with vista 64 every little bit helps. We'll see how it goes with the OC too once I've got 8 gigs in there.

This is by far much snappier than my old single core AMD onboard video setup, but I would hope so for the amount of coin was spent.

I'm gonna have to find some good benchmarks for vista64....seem few and far between.

Edit: Ahhh good old everest...they even have sidebar support for vista and you can customize it and everything.
    Last edited by BlackDragon24; 04-06-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Well I've got all 8 gigs in running at ddr2800 at 4-4-4-15 timings with 2.1v per the manufacturers specs. CPU voltage is 1.35. Still running at 8x400=3.2ghz The rest of the mem timings are quite loose but the fact that the mem controller can handle that much memory at that speed is quite remarkable. I'll play with those setting later.

Two things left to do now....somehow add in that second GTX and arrange all of those cables around it....I'm afraid....and setup my second RAID array.

For having essentially maxed out this boards capailities on first use, it is responding like a champ....I've got all 6 sata ports filled up, all 4 mem slots filled up, and in a few moments will be running sli....all while OCing the processor a solid 25% with more to come.....I'm impressed.

Well she is finished....got both 9800gtx cards in there somehow....and setup my second stripe. For some reason the system isn't recognizing my dvd-burnier right now...I think its because the sata connection came loose on the motherboard, which of course is now buried behind the other cables and sandwiched between the two vid cards so its gonna take a little work to get at it.

Ran 3dMark06 last night in SLI and got 16,500. Tried pumping it to 9x400 this morning but got a bluescreen, even feeding 1.5v to the cpu....so I don't know if thats gonna be possible. But right now at 3.2 ghz this thing screams. Gotta get some games now

Well I broke out a trusty old game last night and threw it on the new comp: Far Cry. I hadn't played it for about 2 years, and the last garphics card I had was a 7900gt, which ran it pretty well but jeezuz....these new cards are friggin amazing. Every possible setting on max detail, 1600x1200 resolution. Unbelieveable. Not even a hesitation during the more active scenes. And your distance vision with the sniper rifle is practically unlimited.

Can't wait to check out crysis, but that'll have to wait a few days or my wife may leave me.

Well my boss saw how awesome this new comp was and asked me to build him one as well. I asked if he just wanted this one and I could build a new one from scratch and he agreed....so now I've got another high end system on the way, and this current one will be sitting in my boss' lab office....minus the video cards cuz he don't need 'em. Gonna sell them and buy an arece RAID controller card, and put an 8600gt or something cheap into the current setup.

New build on the way....

DFI UT X48 T2R (the thermalright one)
    8GB 1066 OCZ Reaper
    Q6700 Kentsfield
    2 x 300 gig velociraptors for RAID 0
    2 x 1 gb seagate ES.2 for RAID 1
    eVGA 9800GX2 SSC
    Antec 1200 case
    Corsair HX1000 modular PSU

Gonna yank the TRUE 120 I've got in this rig out and replace it with a zalman 9700.

I'm chompin at the bit to see just how fast these velociraptors are going to be. I've pretty much given up on Nvidia chipsets for awhile as they have too many bugs that take way too long to fix, so I figured I'd go with the more stable solution with the intel chipset and the single (albeit, dual gpu) graphics card.

Should be here early next week!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    2 x 300 gig velociraptors for RAID 0

I'm chompin at the bit to see just how fast these velociraptors are going to be. I've pretty much given up on Nvidia chipsets for awhile as they have too many bugs that take way too long to fix, so I figured I'd go with the more stable solution with the intel chipset and the single (albeit, dual gpu) graphics card.

Should be here early next week!
    I'll bet you are

Provided your RAID controller can handle roughly 240 MB/sec STR, it should blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    I'll bet you are

Provided your RAID controller can handle roughly 240 MB/sec STR, it should blow your mind
    I was expecting to receive some $hit from you after bashing those velociraptors in the storage forum....

I'm looking at the areca 1210 or the 1220 for a RAID controller....you have any other suggestions?

Either should do you just fine. They use an X8 slot so BW won't be a problem.