Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Upgrading from sig to GA-P35-DS3, XP refuses to boot on the new mobo.

UPDATE: Disabling USB, onboard Audio, everything not explicitly needed, (even serial and parallel ports) did not work. Neither did moving SATA drive to the other orange ports. XP jut boots into repair install software, asks for CD, starts "installing needed devices" and then blank screen>>reboot.

chkdsk c: (ran without any parameters) says everything seems to be fine.
    chkdsk/r says there is an unrecoverable error on drive c:, but does not provide details.

Interestingly, Windows 2k boots fine from the old IDE drive, and after installing both mobo and Geforce drivers, seems to be working just as it was before. I can't understand why XP didn't behave likewise.

Mr. Novi, supposing I can get access to my old mobo, what would be the best way to remove the hardware profile?

Noorman, I am pretty sure I had the auto reboot feature turned off before the upgrade, but could that option have been reset by the repair install program?

I'll try to get some rest now, as next morning, I'll be again working 36 hours straight. (no internet access there )
    Will check back on Monday night if I'm not too tired.
    Last edited by MarkHark; 04-12-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

chkdsk/r says there is an unrecoverable error on drive c:, but does not provide details.
    There's the problem right there. Download the Diagnostic Utility from the Hard Drive Manufacturer (Seagate if it's the Seagate drive) and run that. If that shows that the drive is bad back up everything on it as soon as possible to anything that you can and replace the drive. I'm betting that one of the platters is damaged. You might get lucky and the Diagnostic might be able to fix the drive, but that is a million to one shot. Either way, as long as you have an unrecoverable error on drive c: the chances of getting Windows to boot is somewhere between slim and none as the damage is more than likely within the Windows subsystem.

The only other thing to try is a different SATA cable. It's possible that the cable is damaged rather than the drive, but I wouldn't be too hopeful about that.

Don
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHark View Post
    UPDATE: Disabling USB, onboard Audio, everything not explicitly needed, (even serial and parallel ports) did not work. Neither did moving SATA drive to the other orange ports. XP jut boots into repair install software, asks for CD, starts "installing needed devices" and then blank screen>>reboot.

chkdsk c: (ran without any parameters) says everything seems to be fine.

Interestingly, Windows 2k boots fine from the old IDE drive, and after installing both mobo and Geforce drivers, seems to be working just as it was before. I can't understand why XP didn't behave likewise.

Mr. Novi, supposing I can get access to my old mobo, what would be the best way to remove the hardware profile?

Noorman, I am pretty sure I had the auto reboot feature turned off before the upgrade, but could that option have been reset by the repair install program?

I'll try to get some rest now, as next morning, I'll be again working 36 hours straight. (no internet access there )
    Will check back on Monday night if I'm not too tired.

I fear it 's possible; M$ does 'try' to be helpfull and provide safety and all that but they NEVER ask the user's permission to reset things

As MrNovi said, best thing is to use the harddrive's maker's diagnostic tools to check out the drive's integrity and hope for a recovery.
    Even then it would be best to swap out that drive because it wouldn't be to be trusted as a system drive; it could still be used as a secundary drive if it could be recovered.
    Always backup important data, don't forget !

Most makers demand a report from their own Diagnostic Tool to be added with a drive RMA ...
    If you can RMA, don't forget to do a complete & rigourous overwrite of that disk with one of the free tools to be found on the Web.

Example: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

UPDATE: Today I finally could dispose of some time to go to my nephew's house and try my HD at the old mobo/vidcard setup.

To shorten the story:

-repair install program seems to run fine, passes the point where it was previously rebooting, finishes installing hardware, asks for serial, regional options, and then seems to lock while registering components.
    <Press RESET and boots from XP CD into recovery console>
    -chkdsk/r runs fine, and no fatal errors were found. After some extended testing, it says it has detected and corrected an error on drive C: and everything's fine.
    <Boots from HD again>
    - repair install finishes correctly this time and restarts the machine.
    - XP boots straight into my desktop, only it's NOT my desktop anymore.
    - after a quick check I realize Microsoft erased ALL my previous settings, including - but not limited to - Firefox favorites and history, Folder and Start Menu options, all desktop shortcuts, folders and files. In fact, it seems to have completely replaced the Documents and Settings folder with whatever it sees fit.

- I removed the ATI drivers, most of the previous hardware, then rebooted on Safe mode to proceed with removal of the vidcard itself and the IDE and SCSI/SATA controllers.

Now it's time to put the HD back in the case and see if it boots on the new mobo, only I'm not sure it's worth it anymore.
    After all, the interesting stuff (or most of it anyway) seems to be gone.
    At first sight, Program Files seems to be OK, and also the shortcuts in Start Menu >> Programs.

Or is there a reasonable way to recover the contents of Documents and Settings?
    Last edited by MarkHark; 04-20-2008 at 07:25 PM.

UPDATE: Today I finally could dispose of some time to go to my nephew's house and try my HD at the old mobo/vidcard setup.

To resume the story:

-repair install program seems to run fine, passes the point where it was previously rebooting, finishes installing hardware, asks for serial, regional options, and then seems to lock while registering components.
    <Press RESET and boots from XP CD into recovery console>
    -chkdsk/r runs fine, and no fatal errors were found. After some extended testing, it says it has detected and corrected an error on drive C: and everything's fine.
    <Boots from HD again>
    - repair install finishes correctly this time and restarts the machine.
    - XP boots straight into my desktop, only it's NOT my desktop
    - I do a qrealize Microsoft erased

This can happen if your user profile got corrupted !

Did you now uninstall all the drivers specific to that 'old' mobo ?

After that, you should be able to install it with the new hardware ...

Make sure the chipset is uninstalled !

Best is to work backwards from the install sequence; uninstall audio and video, other specific items and at the last step, the chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

This can happen if your user profile got corrupted !
    All accounts seem to have been affected, including Administrator

Did you now uninstall all the drivers specific to that 'old' mobo ?
    All the ones I could figure out on device manager, in special video, sound, LAN and IDE/SCSI. In fact, I completely removed the hardware, not just the drivers.

Make sure the chipset is uninstalled !
    Not sure how to do that! It's hard to relate the chipset drivers to a specific entry on Device Manager.
    I hope I've done enough

Make sure that you typed in the exact same user name when you log in. It's possible that you entered it differently and you created a new user. If that is the case your old user account would still be there in a different profile. I've seen that happen more than once when doing a repair install.

And you still need to run the manufacturers diagnostic utility. You could still have some physical damage on the hard drive that will lead to a complete failure in the future. You might be lucky and just had a corrupted profile like noorman stated, but it's just as possible that the corruption was due to a physical problem with the drive itself that chkdsk/r won't detect or correct.

Hopefully you have backed up the documents folder so that you haven't lost anything.

Don

My documents folder is stored on a separate partition. The Windows "My Documents" folder was actually empty, save for stuff the programs and games insist on putting in there (Dungeon Siege is an example).

However, some stuff I was currently working on was on my desktop (mostly articles and/or pages to read, some recently downloaded files and a couple reminders of things to do).

Besides that, a long list of relevant or just interesting sites I have visited in the past year, part of them cataloged by subject, was saved on Firefox's favorites folder (and subfolders). That seems to be lost. Perhaps the usernames and passwords for some of those might be gone too. Of course the really important ones, like c/c and bank accounts, are not stored on the computer.

Not yet sure of what else has been affected, but I'm inclined to think all application data is probably gone.

All accounts seem to have been affected, including Administrator

All the ones I could figure out on device manager, in special video, sound, LAN and IDE/SCSI. In fact, I completely removed the hardware, not just the drivers.

Not sure how to do that! It's hard to relate the chipset drivers to a specific entry on Device Manager.
    I hope I've done enough

Items from the chipset (with specific drivers / like f.e. nForce) are to be found under the 'System Devices' in the 'Device Manager' ...

There are other things which are linked to a chipset, like f.e. the IDE drivers.

I must say too that in earlier times it was simpler to do this kind od swapping than today. Today you have lots of extra drivers, like SATA, USB(2.0), ...

UPDATE:

The good part:

Booting from my second drive (w2k), I checked inside XP's volume for the contents of my profile. As expected, it was nearly empty, as were also Administrator and All Users. However, after looking at Documents and Settings folder's properties, I was intrigued to find out it still had just over 2 GB of data in it.
    It seems that after all Microsoft saved my previous stuff in a subfolder named Documents and Settings\Network Services, before replacing Documents and Settings\Markhark with what looks like a blank profile.

The bad part:

Even after removing Video, IDE/SATA and lots of other stuff from Device Manager, XP still refuses to boot on the new mobo.

Perhaps I should just give up, backup my old stuff to another partition, format C: and call it a day.
    Last edited by MarkHark; 04-21-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Basically, that would be your best option. But I still think you need to run the Seagate Diagnostic Utility on the drive first. That is going to take awhile to run the exhaustive more thorough test. I can't express enough how important that is.

Don

I already downloaded Seatools to my notebook, a couple days ago, now I just need to decide if I should use Windows (running from the other drive) or DOS version.

Apart from that, I still fell the need to migrate to a larger, faster hard drive, as soon as I can find the right one at the right price.

An opinion on a different subject: is Seagate's 7200.11 series considerably faster and/or better than 7200.10?
    I'm specially considering the newer 7200.11 500 GB w/ 32 Mb vs. the older 500 GB (7200.10) w/ 16 MB
    Last edited by MarkHark; 04-21-2008 at 07:17 PM.

The Windows version is basically only useful for running a quick test from a WORKING windows install. For any comprehensive test you need to run the self booting version from either a floppy disk or a cd. That's the ONLY way to thoroughly test the drive.

I have on of the 500gig 7200.10 16meg cache Seagates and it is indeed a fine drive, but I would never run an OS on it. An OS should be run from a smaller drive with only the OS and applications on it with a larger drive like that 500gigger as a data storage drive. I have a 16m cache WD 250gig SATA 2 drive as the Boot/OS drive on my quad and an 8meg cache WD 80Gig Sata 1 Boot/OS drive on my E6420 and the E6420 is noticeably snappier and more responsive than the Quad rig. The benefits of the larger cache can't overcome the faster overall disk access of the smaller drive. It also makes migrating from one system to another a lot easier as well as making it easier to backup your data. If I could find one I would be using an 8meg cache 40gig Sata drive for my OS/Boot drive, but the only 40giggers I can find are limited to 2meg cache and the difference between 2m and 8m of cache is definitely noticeable.

You may get some different opinions on this, but I doubt that you would ever notice the difference between the 7200.10 16m cache and the 7200.11 32m cache during regular use on the same physical sized drive. The difference would only be apparent when benchmarking them. Either of them would be a good choice in my opinion but I still recommend a nice 80gigger for a boot drive.

Don

An 80 GB is out of question now, as I want to minimize the total number of physical drives on my system. However, a 32-64 MB partition exclusively for the OS/apps is on my plans, plus a small (<10GB) FAT32 volume just for temp folder, swap file and a network shared Inbox/Outbox folder.

The Maxtor IDE is already on a removable tray, so it can be easily removed when not needed. After the upgrade, the 250 gigger will probably become an external SATA drive, for backup and transport purposes mainly, and only the main drive should permanently remain inside the case.

A 320 GB 7200.10 would be enough for my current needs, and might be a good choice, IF it's indeed faster than the 500 GB models. I'm willing to sacrifice some space for extra speed, within the same budget. Otherwise, the 500GB would push my next upgrade needs further away.

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference between the 320 gig and the 500 gig so go with whichever fits your overall needs and budget.