Problem with sound on DVD's only?

Yesterday, I played movies on my DVD drive without a problem. Today, I rented a movie that wouldn't play so I used a cleaner on disk, still the movie was freezing. (edit - using windows media player 11.)

Then we rented another one an is for the most part new. The audio is messed up. I tried playing a downloaded song and also, an audio cd. No problem with sound.

But I tried another DVD movie and it too, has strange skipping audio...

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this? I'm a computer dummy for the most part.

Thanks, cj
    Last edited by cjinca; 04-08-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Re: Problem with sound on DVD's only?

Could be your drive.
    How old is it?
    Is there a firm ware update for it?
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

I purchased computer new, in 2007. It is a Dell D520.

I looked up the term firmware to see how to answer your question: Firmware refers to read-only memory (ROM) chips that store permanent instructions. Firmware boots up computerized or digital devices, as ROM chips are non-volatile, meaning they do not require a power source to hold their contents.

Still not sure how to answer your question. Would I find the update through dell?

Also, since posting, I opened a website that also requested the adobe plug-in. It was not viewable without downloading firefox plug-in. Just re-ran Secunia and it now says I have TWO versions of the latest adobe flash player.

I've run a system restore and all sound is back on. I'd run microsoft update and downloaded current versions of adobe flash and java after secunia scan. Also deleted older versions.

not sure which of these were the culprit so i'm re-doing each one at a time and checking sound as i go...

Sounds like you killed one or more of the DVD codecs. I suggest the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack:

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_Me...k_download.htm

It even includes Quicktime/RealPlayer plugins for WMP, so you don't need either of those crappy ad-filled POS programs

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

Thanks GT.
    As of today, sound is good again. Reinstalled all previous updates one at a time, checking sound as I went. No problems this time.

I clicked link and site advisor flagged it red. I then googled k lite me and there were enough red flags to scare me off. I spent 10 days ridding this computer of malware awhile back. I'm a computer dummy and were rather be safe. But the idea sounds interesting. I've made several such changes since being on this board.

As always, thanks pcper! cj