View Poll Results: Is EAX 5.0 so great that it outweighs all of the negatives?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Y

4 28.57%
  • N

10 71.43%

Thread: Eax

Eax

how many of you think that eax 5.0 makes a huge difference and that it's worth any hassles you might have with a creative labs card?

i don't. i've said many times that higher bit rates/less lossy or no compression and software audio engines are the best way to go, not increasing the lousy non-linear eax sound fx that can often be stomped by a super nes.

Re: Eax

EAX blows the doors off software 3D sound engines. Load up Doom 3 or HL2 and close your eyes. Turn your character slowly and note how the "positional" sounds lurch from speaker to speaker. Now load up something with decent EAX usage (Bioshock, GRAW, etc) and spin your character. You will notice that the sounds move smoothly around the soundstage. Lock onto a sound and open your eyes. That sound originates from the location in the game world exactly where your ears and brain are telling you it does.

Software 3D sound engines can sound "good", but they are optimized for speed, not accuracy. EAX can handle multiple environments and occluded sound sources.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

For music I agree with the OP. However for 3D positional sound hardware DSP will almost always have an edge over software engine.

I understand that there are a lot negatives about Creative cards, but saying the sound effect of a snes beats EAX5 is unfair. After all most of those negatives come from Creative software/marketing department, the hardware itself (X-FI aka EMU20K1) is a great product IMO.
    Last edited by Parn; 04-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C9 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX1080 G+X 11Gbps + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows Hyper-V RemoteFX server):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximum VIII HERO + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX660 TF + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2012 R2 Std. x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair 1833 C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair 1600 C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

Ditto. There is nothing inherently wrong with the hardware or EAX for that matter when properly implemented by the software developer. The real knock against Creative is the (deliberate) lack of support for existing products in order to drive the buying public towards newer products.

It's for reasons such as this that I'll be fore going X-FI 2 and will be getting a Xonar D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
    Ditto. There is nothing inherently wrong with the hardware or EAX for that matter when properly implemented by the software developer. The real knock against Creative is the (deliberate) lack of support for existing products in order to drive the buying public towards newer products.

It's for reasons such as this that I'll be fore going X-FI 2 and will be getting a Xonar D2.

The bluegears card is real nice too.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

It is not EAX 5 that makes a difference but EAX 3, 4 and 5 that are also processed in hardware with sound blaster cards as mentioned here already. All other cards are not much better then onboard codecs sending audio off to CPU for processing. It is like getting a driver secured with PCI or PCI express hardware key for 100 bucks.

Specifically for gaming nothing seems to beat X-Fi Gamer with EAX 5 and onboard optical out (new for 60 bucks), not for the moment anyway.

As for Creative not supporting old products it seems that the only sound blaster card with no Vista driver is LIVE - this has been sold in the ninetees. Audigy (from 2001 and newer) is supported already. I agree they should offer some support for Live but at the same time it is 10+ years old hardware... There are not many manufacturers that offer Vista drivers for gear from the mid-90's.
    Last edited by Davidech; 04-11-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: twas too long & boring am I getting old & ranting perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidech View Post
    It is not EAX 5 that makes a difference but EAX 3, 4 and 5 that are also processed in hardware with sound blaster cards as mentioned here already. All other cards are not much better then onboard codecs sending audio off to CPU for processing. It is like getting a driver secured with PCI or PCI express hardware key for 100 bucks.

Specifically for gaming nothing seems to beat X-Fi Gamer with EAX 5 and onboard optical out (new for 60 bucks), not for the moment anyway.

As for Creative not supporting old products it seems that the only sound blaster card with no Vista driver is LIVE - this has been sold in the ninetees. Audigy (from 2001 and newer) is supported already. I agree they should offer some support for Live but at the same time it is 10+ years old hardware... There are not many manufacturers that offer Vista drivers for gear from the mid-90's.
    Your one of the lucky ones. Vista & Creative blows. Not the hardware its the damn software.

Creative soundcards are about to get kicked in the face by Asus. Lets see if creative can finially magically write good software.

And yes EAX5 if supported by the game is the best.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

when bf2 first came out and i witched from an audigy 2 to an x-fi extreme music and enabled the highest sound settings in the game it was the first time i was every truely impressed with a sound card upgrade.

my sound card with creatives CMSS-3d setting and a good pair of stereo headphones honestly gives me an edge while playing games that support eax5

i can hear footsteps clearly and pinpoint where they're coming from, it's truely excellent.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT