is microsoft breaking our pc's?

ConfusedInJapan 2008-02-06 23:39:11 flag as inappropriate
    I work for software companies and have for many years. I noticed that MS started releasing "updates" shortly before Vista's release that litterally "broke" XP in many ways. Many of my co-workers came to me to figure out how to "fix" it... In the end, some of these were not removable updates. It even turned out that MS knew about many/most of the breaks (probably all, but they were caught on some) but released anyway... It then took them months to issues "fixes" for these breaks... It is my opinion that MS uses the Auto-Update feature to begin breaking their software so people will get frustrated with the problems and since MOST people don't see a viable option, Mac scares them as "different" and Linux scares them as "unknown" and Solaris scares them as "what is that?"... They only see a Windows Upgrade to Vista etc. as an option... MS PLANS these things and executes them... It is criminal behaviour and should be seen by ALL especially the government as an attack on private and public computers... Think about it, if I hacked into your PC and planted a bug, virus, trojan to make your computer behave poorly, slow down, crash or etc. I would go to jail, assuming they could catch me... Well we all KNOW MS is accessing our systems using the Auto Update "feature" now even with Authentication of License too... When they break our systems by allowing an update with a known bug to be installed, etc. they have committed a cybercrime and should pay restitution and fines... I don't have Vista yet, but have tested in at the stores. Instead Ihave begun switching my 8 year old Dell XP machine to Ubuntu 7.1 and I have dual booted one other machine... I am going to upgrade my servers to Ubuntu also (server edition)... I suggest we ALL write to Dell, HP and etc. to demand Linux Distros be an option when ordering new machines for home and/or small business use... not just for enterprise servers...

i read that reply on http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ta-hate_1.html

think there's any validity to it?
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Re: is microsoft breaking our pc's?

Xp and Vista are like night and day but the really bad thing is that SP3 for XP will turn your XP into a ••••••• version of Vista. I work in the data Recovery and IT Security field and the horror of Vista I see daily is getting overwhelming sometimes word of warning turn your auto-update off. MS is sending WGA out and forcing IE7 on people is just a small tip of bad things to come. Vista the first OS that said you are a Thief right out of the box and checks you every 30 days. I have changed clients from Vista to XP pro more times than I can count. One had me upgrade all their systems to install vista but after the first week we saw it would not work for their business. We got XP pro in and all works. I have been in computer for more than 28 to 30 years and I seen tons of computer s come and go and OS's from dos to the Commodore 64 and to see Vista come out with the holds and non-working drivers ... that just bad programing . there is tons I could say but those here that work in IT know the problems and they could fill a Tb drive in a few seconds if you wanted to list them all. Hardware problems seem to be due to a hit or miss as some MB's seem to work great some will not and well as other parts like video cards and sound drivers. the 64 bit drivers on some system are unsecured so beware they work but they will get you later. On the SP1 for vista is will not Fix ANY of the major holds it will cover some things up and many are fearing major downtime... the SP3 for XP will or could be one of the most damaging SP every sent out since the first days of NT (those that remember what happen in NT3.5 and 4 will understand) They are tell us (MS) that the SP3 for XP will give XP the best of Vista... Please if i want my computer to look like Linux or and Mac I just load the OS or change systems... MS may be planing to add the next network stacks(Vista has a new virgin stack if you didn't know by now) and MS feel's it would be great fro XP. and oh if you haven't passed the WGA test SP3 will kill your system as it did with sp2. If you were not legal...but you know Ms saids we are all thief's thats why XP and Vista has the WGA being added to your system in the auto-update or if you need the latest versions on Wmp11 or the new IE7(another black hold browser). Again .. there is just too many things to list here or anywhere on the net.. If Ms keeps this up I will be going out of IT due to being over work installing win 98 to get people back up and running.I have re-installed so many system now to XP from Vista I lost count. I can't even think about it some days.
    bszlachta 2008-02-07 06:19:19 flag as inappropriate
    I posted a long round-up of the negative reactions to Vista by users, industry, and pundits (http://www.microsplot.com/news/2007/...windows_vista), and comments there have been similar to what's in comments on this page: lots of "Yeah, I hate it too" commiseration, mixed in with a few retorts from ardent defenders. Whether Vista suffers mostly from a bad image or from much deeper problems, I think the breadth and intensity of the world's "yecch!" has been one of the most amazing tech-world stories of the past year.
    ITconsultant 2008-02-07 06:25:44 flag as inappropriate
    I too, like many here, am in the IT field. I have lost my professionalism when it comes to Vista. VISTA SUCKS. Vista makes ME look good. I discourage as many people as I can and ALL of my clients from moving to it. It is the ultimate in being hardware unfriendly and application resistant. In many situations it forces you to upgrade your 3rd party hardware and software. I have been running it since its release on my own PC. Why? I'm not sure anymore. Maybe the hopes that a patch or SP will fix the issues. With Vista I crash, run out of memory or bsod more times than all of my years with NT 4 and 2000 combined. And I am running dual 8800 GTX in SLI mode, 8GB ram and a quad processor. With 8gb of ram i still run out of memory. Amazing. On a side note IE still has major memory issues that have not been resolved since 5.
    see the light,
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;

I've been running SP3 on my XP Pro install for a few months now. It's still a beta version, but I haven't found a single simularity between XP on my desktop, and Vista on my laptop. I haven't had a single problem with Vista Premium on that laptop, and even though it's a lower end Core2duo, that cost me under $500, it gets all the work done that I need it to get done.

This may not be normal, but I've found that every single "crash," I've come across in the last 10 years had to do with user error (i.e. 16 viruses on a system because someone didn't know that they had to update their antivirus,) bad hardware (oh really, that burning smell is caused by a lightning strike???), or someone getting one of those messages that their registry is corrupted, and they need to do a, b, then c, to fix it.

I have no problem with Linux, or Unix, up until 3 years ago I was an administrator for a Unix system, I hated it, Windows has viruses, and malware, but it gets the job done at a much lower overall cost than any of the other choices. My older sister was a COBAL and FORTRAN programmer, and even she agrees that there's no comparison between Windows and any of the "old" stuff.

I do know a few people in the "IT field," and other than on posting boards, where people are anonymous, I personally haven't found a single "IT professional," who hasn't been able to "work" Vista. Vista isn't my favorite, 6 years with XP has cemented that, but that's personal preference, they may or may not like it, but I haven't talked to a single person that is an "IT professional," that hasn't been able to figure it out. If I didn't have to pay for a new license for my home PC, it may be running Vista right now. This time next year, I'm sure it will be, or maybe I'll hold out for the next release, but I have my Vista laptop, and my XP desktop, so I guess I have everything covered at this moment. Most importantly, if I screw up, I don't plan on blaming Vista, or XP, or Windows98 for MY problems. It's an operating system, and if you're not qualified to have it on your system, you probably shouldn't have that computer to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    think there's any validity to it?
    Nope. It's just someone once again complaining about the "evil" Microsoft.

I have four machines in this house running XP Pro/SP2 and none of them have been "broken" by any Windows updates.

The only way MS will break your pc, is if you are running a hacked copy of xp. When you access the updates, the first thing that loads is WGA , to see if your copy of XP is genuine. If it is, no problem. If it isn't ,to bad buy a real copy like everyone else.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

i meant more along the lines of "will the sp3 for xp cause xp to have the same problems as vista where a legal dvd can only be viewed until a certain date and make it to where i can't even use some of the stuff i've legally bought" etc...
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

I've been running SP3 for awhile now, and you honestly don't even know the difference between SP2 and SP3. I still watch my old South Park episodes, and I can put any new DVD in it and watch it just fine, along with older DVD's. But then again, I can do the same with Vista on my laptop, so I'm not quite sure what your concern is. I've watched "Red Dawn" on my laptop a few times, and that DVD is as old as DVD's themselves. Many of the old TV shows that I have saved are from before the time that Napster was outlawed, and they play perfectly fine on Vista.