Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to switch to cable digital phone service?

I have a regular land line with Verizon right now. Paying about $60 a month for unlimited local + long distance, caller ID and all that. My cable company is now offering a package deal for cable, internet + digital phone. I already have the cable + internet so adding the phone would add only $25 to my bill, a savings of $35 over Verizon. Big savings but I'm worried about sound quality. How does it compare to a regular land line? I'm ok if it's close but if it's more like a cell phone that would be unacceptable for daily use. Any significant delay would be a problem also. Anything else I should be concerned about?

So can you share your experiences (good or bad) with digital phone service especially comments about the sound quality?
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Re: Time to switch to cable digital phone service?

If you llive in a fairly recent neighborhood or they put in new cable lines within the past 10 years, then you really won't notice a difference with the sound quality on the digital phone. Make sure they are with the 911 service for emergency calls, etc.

What sucks if you live in FL where you get hurricanes, if the power goes out, your telephone goes out, too. But with a landline it does not as telephone companies use their own generators for phones.

I can't speak for Verizon, but I dumped ma Bell last year to go 100% with Cox, couldn't be happier so far. TV, internet, and phone, all digital now.

I live out in a rural area. Have 550 ft of 1/2 inch 'hard cable' (the cables used on the poles I think) running underground right up to my house. It was just installed in 2004. Before that there was no cable at all running to the road I live on.

I asked and it does have 911. We have cell phones in the house to use in emergencies if the power goes out.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

So do I, for the same reason

If you llive in a fairly recent neighborhood or they put in new cable lines within the past 10 years
    what does that have to do with it?lol most systems have been rebuilt for broadband within that time especially if they are using digital voice.

I asked and it does have 911. We have cell phones in the house to use in emergencies if the power goes out.
    As long as the batteries in your modem are working correctly and you are using a wired phone ( might wanna get one just in case my company used to give em away for free) it should still work when the power goes out they have usually 6 hours battery life per battery if its just for a short time. If the power supply on the pole down line goes dead the system will also go dead usually 1- 6 hours.

I have one at my apartment, Good sound quality and all that. As long as there is no interruption in service like comcast does to us, it's good to go.

I can give you my experience , I had a land line that AT&T couldnt fix , so I had to get something else and as it turned out , it was a good thing as no my phone calls are crystal clear , and for the price cheeper then a land line . Now I never go back to AT&T
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    As long as the batteries in your modem are working correctly and you are using a wired phone ( might wanna get one just in case my company used to give em away for free) it should still work when the power goes out they have usually 6 hours battery life per battery if its just for a short time. If the power supply on the pole down line goes dead the system will also go dead usually 1- 6 hours.
    There are battery backups in the cable modems they use for digital phone service?

Last time I tried I get no cable signal to my house in a power outage. I hooked up a power inverter and 12v battery to power the cable modem but the normal set of 4 lights were not flashing. It had power but no signal. I spoke to the cable company about it and they said there was something on the pole (don't remember what they called it) that loses power in an outage and as a result no service to my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    There are battery backups in the cable modems they use for digital phone service?

Last time I tried I get no cable signal to my house in a power outage. I hooked up a power inverter and 12v battery to power the cable modem but the normal set of 4 lights were not flashing. It had power but no signal. I spoke to the cable company about it and they said there was something on the pole (don't remember what they called it) that loses power in an outage and as a result no service to my house.
    Time Warner told me the same (they were trying to sign me up for their digital phone service, seeing as I already had cable and Road Runner). If I added digital phone, I think my overall bill would increase by ~$9 (about $10-20 less than my average AT&T bill). The shortcomings?

- loss of phone service in the event of a power outage
    - 911 would not work
    - loss of my current phone number (TW would assign me one)

I decided that it wasn't worth the inconvenience of notifying everyone of a new number (maybe later).

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

I was told I could keep the same phone number (for a one-time $15 transfer fee) and 911 does work so it seems the power outage issue is about the only negative factor left provided that the sound quality is as good as everyone says. If the sound quality turns out to be anything like a cell phone I'll have to switch back.

I have this "all-in-one" package with Comcast. Audio quality is not all that bad, but at times it can be slightly echoy - when I'm talking. Sort of annoying.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

I've had Vonage as my only home phone since early 2003, and before that I had Packet 8 for a year. Packet 8 was terrible for me anyway. There were delays that made it sound like I was talking to someone in Australia, it would go out all the time, and I even had to dial 1-719 to make a local call. I don't know if they've improved since then, but I'm not going back to find out either.

Vonage I've been really happy with. The sound quality sounds exactly like a regular phone, there's no need to dial the area code for local calls, and it very rarely goes down unless Comcast screws something up.

I was using the $24.95 a month "unlimited" plan but I've switched to the $14.95 a month plan that gives us 500 minutes a month talk time. We usually go over a bit but the bill hardly ever goes over $20 a month. That's WAY cheaper than the $60+ a month we payed for Qwest 6 years ago.

Lol, I'll never forget the Qwest CSR's voice when I told her I wouldn't need Qwest home phone service anymore. Keep in mind this was 6 years ago when VOIP was relatively unheard of. She said, "but if you don't have Qwest, how will anyone get ahold of you." It was a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    I have this "all-in-one" package with Comcast. Audio quality is not all that bad, but at times it can be slightly echoy - when I'm talking. Sort of annoying.
    In my conversation with my cable company they mentioned that echo problem. He said it can be corrected by their carrier.

The new Motorola modems we use have 1 battery back up pack and our in line power supplies on the poles have 3-6 12 volt gel cell batteries in them in case of power outages. They are nice if you have a wired phone as they work just as the telco's phones do when the power goes out for a few hours anyway.This is a link to what we use in my system it works well if I do my job .

http://www.alpha.com/92_254_3622_255...M2-Series.aspx

heres the phone modem we use in my system
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/24/c...-battery-back/
    Last edited by /\/\adGamer; 04-18-2008 at 11:59 PM.