Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Time to switch to cable digital phone service?

my local phone is cox cable phone-$21 month

i have virgin moblie phone, and get the $20 every 3 month plan. i don,t use the phone much , so it works out great. and use the cell phone for long distance

$21 + $7 equals $28 month,,,,not bad
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    The new Motorola modems we use have 1 battery back up pack and our in line power supplies on the poles have 3-6 12 volt gel cell batteries in them in case of power outages. They are nice if you have a wired phone as they work just as the telco's phones do when the power goes out for a few hours anyway.This is a link to what we use in my system it works well if I do my job .

http://www.alpha.com/92_254_3622_255...M2-Series.aspx

heres the phone modem we use in my system
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/24/c...-battery-back/
    Good info. I'm going to ask my cable company if they use anything like that. I sort of doubt it because they are a smaller operation but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

^^ The modems are really not that new the M2 series power supplies have also been around a while while some smaller cable companies opted for cheaper power insertion solutions the alpha M2 is really the way to go some smaller systems just cant afford to go all out and equip their plant with these pricey monsters.

I have been on Charter phone for 6 months now and have not had a single problem. They ported my phone number for no charge (If cox is charging, I would make them eat that cost if they want you for a customer) I have a ton more features then I did with qwest and it is cheaper with my bundled package.

As for no phone when the power goes out, most people have cordless phones now anyway, so if the power is out, so is the phone, unless your cordless phone base is plugged into a generator or something? and yes, most phone modems can come with a battery backup.

I'm apprehensive about changing just because I've had a land-line forever and I trust it but I think I'm going to do it. If I stay with the cable digital phone for 3 months I get one month of the package free. That's $99 free - nice. I have a few cell phones and a 2nd land-line used for work which could serve as backup in a power outage.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

The only thing I can advise is to read the fine print. Some Co.s offer the $99 package for 1 year ,and then the price automatically increases after that. I also have Directv, and the receivers need to be connected to the phone line for thier updates. How about www.magicjack.com ? Anybody here try it? I like the idea of a phone even in almost any emergency, so I'm reluctent to change from a good old landline. Some CO.are pretty aggressive about the bill being paid exactly on time, and they disconnect and charge some rediculous rate to turn the service back on. Magicjack is only $40, and then $20 a YEAR. Now THAT'S tempting!
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

I use the skype plus plan I get an in and outgoing service with voice mail for around $68 bucks a year. All long distance is included. I dont get my complimentary digital voice thru comcast due to some contractual/number porting problems they have with embarq

magicjack looks interesting but you need to keep a computer running 24/7.

One difference I just discovered with my cable digital phone service is that you must dial the area code for local calls. A minor inconvenience I suppose but that would also mess up the use of caller-ID which at least for my land-line phone doesn't include the area so I wouldn't be able to call people back using the caller-ID display like I do now.

Well I took the plunge, put in my order today. Will be installed May 19. Got my fingers crossed

Oh and the Caller ID thing turns out to be a non-issue. When you receive a call through their service the area code is included in the caller-id listing so you can use it to call people back just like I do now on Verizon without using the area code. So the only real inconvenience of having to always use the area code for local calls is when I actually dial a number manually but most of the time I'm calling numbers stored in the phone's phonebook or caller-id.

Good luck but, i'm just completely sick of Comcast. Promo rates last a few months and then they jack up the prices to ridiculous rates. Recently dumped them for Netflix and I miss 1 news channel, may pick up cheap satellite in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51 View Post
    The only thing I can advise is to read the fine print. Some Co.s offer the $99 package for 1 year ,and then the price automatically increases after that. I also have Directv, and the receivers need to be connected to the phone line for thier updates. How about www.magicjack.com ? Anybody here try it? I like the idea of a phone even in almost any emergency, so I'm reluctent to change from a good old landline. Some CO.are pretty aggressive about the bill being paid exactly on time, and they disconnect and charge some rediculous rate to turn the service back on. Magicjack is only $40, and then $20 a YEAR. Now THAT'S tempting!
    BD, I assume you're talking about the older Tivo powered DVR's from Directv. If so, there is a way to make them dial out and connect while using VOIP. It's not easy, and it requires dialing into a number in New York, but it can be done. I did it that way for years.

Go to the Tivo Community forums and either search for my name there (same as here) or "Vonage" and you'll find a ton of info on it.

Just for the record, I don't have Comcast. Also, I asked and the $99.99 package price is not a promotion. It's the regular price. I'm very satisfied with my cable company overall with it's TV and Internet so I expect the phone service to be good also. As long as the voice quality is 90% of a land-line with no delays I'll be happy.

Well I've had the Digital Phone service for a couple weeks now and honestly I can't tell the difference in voice quality. I'm actually quite surprised.