Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPU old & new !

Re: GPU old & new !

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    No problem. I've been following a few threads on a couple of other forums about this issue which has helped keep me up to date on it.

Don

I don't follow it that close because I 've never had the cash to buy and use one of those cards ...

I assumed they had considered making a new GPU client backward compatible with the 1xxx series, just because those started off GPU Folding !

Stanford's becoming a lot like M$; they don't have anything backward compatible either

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

k, so it's kinda a tangent, but everyone gets after M$ for backwards compatibility, but Apple is just as bad. I've been fighting Leopard (which only looks good when you compare it to Vista; otherwords it's almost a disaster) compatibility issues with slightly older programs, can't get X11 running, and to top it off they've removed the classic environment from 10.5 as well.

In short, Microshaft isn't alone at the top of backwards compatibility trash heap.

[/rant]

One of the best things MS is doing these days is NOT worrying about backwards compatibility. One of the biggest problems with XP (especially security flaws) stems from backwards compatibility with Windows 9x. The ONLY way they will ever be able to turn out a version of Windows that plugs these holes is by scrapping backwards compatibility, but users scream that they can't do that to them leaving MS stuck between a wall and a hard place. Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns and say the Buck Stops Here. They had a good chance to do that with Vista but botched that royally as too many of the hardware vendors refused to play along and they spent more time with the useless bells and whistles than they did with the actual problems. MS gets a bad rap for a lot of the things they do, but their decision to let backwards compatibility go by the wayside isn't one of them. And before you say it, I am NOT an MS supporter of fan boy. What I am is a realist and I realize that this time they made the correct decision and I for one hope they don't back off of that position.

As for F@H, it has to do with the way the new client works. The GPU1 client works only with pixel processors which 1xxxx cards support while the more efficient GPU2 works with stream processors which the 1xxx cards do NOT support. The main thing that F@H screwed up on here is not informing users about this earlier so they could make informed purchasing decisions. They had to know quite some time ago that this was going to happen but they waited until now to divulge that information. That's just not the moral way to go about things, but they justify it by saying that they do not actively encourage people to go out and build folding rigs or equipment, but to use their existing equipment so they don't feel that they did anything wrong. This is utter nonsense of course, as they allow threads about what hardware to use to maximize the results. By doing this they are encouraging the use of modern technology and influencing purchasing decisions based on those threads in their own forum. I realized this soon after I started folding and didn't get into GPU folding since I don't game and therefore have absolutely no use for a high end vid card like what was required. I could justify other hardware decisions as they did serve a useful purpose for my other computing needs, but I never make a purchasing decision based only on folding (other than cooling).

Rant Off
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Damn, Don, not too shabby for your first rant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Damn, Don, not too shabby for your first rant!!!
    Me Tries
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

You'll get there!!