Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Well by golly, good for Danica !

Looks like we have the very first female to win an Indy race on
    our hands. Hats off to her !!
    http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    MOTEGI, Japan (AP)—Danica Patrick became the first female winner in IndyCar history Sunday, taking the Indy Japan 300 after the top contenders were forced to pit for fuel in the final laps.

Patrick finished 5.8594 seconds ahead of pole-sitter Helio Castroneves after leader Scott Dixon went in for a pit stop with five laps remaining.

“It’s a long time coming, finally,” Patrick said. “I was managing to save fuel and keep the speed up and when I saw Helio I knew he was the one to beat.”

The race was rescheduled for Sunday because of wet track conditions Saturday.
    Excellent.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 04-20-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Re: Well by golly, good for Danica !

Excellent!

Way cool! Was hoping to see this for quite some time.

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

I think this is a great win. She is truly a great driver, and not just a great woman driver.

Sorry to say that while I am thrilled for her win, the reason for her victory is not what racing should be about IMO - ie holding back and conserving fuel.

It smacks of a rope-a-dope Ali.

Racing should be about racing - pedal-to-the-metal full bore, not about conservation and holding back and being timid and careful....

What you're watching is the wussification of a formerly manly sport.
    Last edited by TMack409; 04-20-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

I have to disagree with you Tmack, fuel conversation is a valid strategy in today's racing. Planning when to pit, when to change tires, when to fuel. The only part I do not like is that it is taken out of the driver's hands, it is all decided in the pits. And using the onboard computer and data link.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    The only part I do not like is that it is taken out of the driver's hands, it is all decided in the pits. And using the onboard computer and data link.

Thank you for the confirmation! Her victory had nothing to do with her "driving skills". Other than holding back....if that can be called a skill.
    -TMack

It looks like TMack hasn't been paying too much attention to racing. It's been a fuel game for many years now, especially in Indy car and F-1 racing.

So, do you also think Jimmie Johnson's win at the Subway Fresh Fit 500 in Phoenix had nothing to do with his driving skills?

Ok, let's cut thru all the crap............
    Do you think, with her wonderful driving skills, that she'll actually win any more races this season???
    -TMack

I'll cut through the crap...when a guy wins a race because he squeezed the last bit of fuel out of his car, because his pit crew did backflips with the calculator, put every last drop in at the stops, worked endlessly in the garage to make the fuel cell most efficient and pass inspection....you call him a winner.

Danica does it and now you question it?

Bull$hit, I say. Man, motor sports is a team effort all the way. The driver may get a huge amount of the credit, but it's not the whole story by any means. Danica was just about to collapse under the weight of self and publicly imposed expectations. I'm glad she finally won and certainly count it as a real, legitimate win. Racing has always been about fuel, make no mistake about it.

Do I think she will win again? Absolutely. She is on an excellent team with deep, wide and ready to spend pockets. You can just imagine the sponsors clamoring to get into the "Danica act' now. Andretti Green is a surprisingly well run team. It was a good move for her. And oh yes....she definitely has the skills to lead and win many more races.

Hey, nobody bitched when Graham Rahal won, nobody said he was just daddy's kid, a 'teenager' who they eased up on...come on guys, she won a race, fair and square. Get over it!!

Me? I'm glad she finally won. I'm truly proud of what she has accomplished. What I look forward to is the hype and extra press associated with it can now be used to report what I want.....racing news!!
    Last edited by UncleBob; 04-21-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

come on guys, she won a race, fair and square. Get over it!!
    Indeed

I am glad she won

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    Sorry to say that while I am thrilled for her win, the reason for her victory is not what racing should be about IMO - ie holding back and conserving fuel.

It smacks of a rope-a-dope Ali.

Racing should be about racing - pedal-to-the-metal full bore, not about conservation and holding back and being timid and careful....

What you're watching is the wussification of a formerly manly sport.
    And do you seriously think that her being in a position to win by such a slim margin has nothing to do with her skill as a driver? She just suddenly appeared on their tails near the end of the race and took advantage of their misfortune? She wasn’t given a head start because she was a “Girl” you know she worked for it like everyone else on that track. Didn’t She run the entire race and stay up with “The Big Boys?”

Get over it she’s a darn good driver, if she wasn’t she wouldn’t have a ride in the first place. This win will likely lead to others for her. They obviously have a car and set up that can run with the best of them, at least on that specific track. We will see how well they set up in future races.
    Last edited by RatboyX; 04-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

I watched the race.
    She trailed "the big boys".
    She cautiously exited and entered the pits.
    Her starts were cautious. She held back.

As I've said, you're witnessing the chickafication of a great sport.....

She's great looking and she's any marketing executive's dream come true. She's a money making machine. (Follow the good looks and the $$$ that always seems to come along with it).

She's a marginally good driver who may win a few races based on what the computer down in the pits tells her to do.

She won't win any races on her driving skills alone.

Oh and the tears....[she even dogged herself for them]! So calculated.
    So calculating.
    -TMack

You saw a completely different race from me, TMack.

So, when Andretti cried he was a girly boy?
    So, when AJ threw the laptop he had PMS?

The computer won for her? It's the same system every driver uses. A driver deviates from what's called in the pits, he looks for another ride!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I think she did a good job and damn happy she won.

As for wussafaction or what ever that was. She can trade paint with the best of them. And time will show her metal.

She led Indy once in the closing laps. Only to have to turn down the boost and settle for third or fourth place. Or would it have been more manafaction to run out of fuel and loose a good finish?

I for one hope she gets her share of wins. And then gets out of this stupid Indy class racing. The powers to be have ruin this class of motorsport. The only thing keeping it alive is the Indy 500.

I for one hope she moves into F1 or Rally. Many are pulling for her to go to the bubba sport of Nascar. She might end up there as a Honda driver when Honda decides to go for the cup. And Honda will do it if Yota does well.
    GO VIKES!