Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

^^^^ Very wise statement, to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Looks pretty damn good. Gonna be much cheaper in the US than here in Australia. Might have to get someone over there to get one for me and ship it over here.

That seems to imply that the older Raptors also only had a 3 year warranty. They have had 5 year warranties for some time.
    That brings one other observation to mind that I noticed this morning. Curious, WD does not bill this new raptor as an "enterprise" class drive. Rather, and enthusiast class model, much like the Raptor-X. That very strongly suggests that the drive's firmware has once again been further fine-tuned away from enterprise environments, and more in line with gaming, general usage, etc. Makes perfect sense to me, as even the ADFD models did not fare very well against SCSI or even SAS drives. But now, with this new model chomping on the heels of some of the best SCSI models out there in terms of STR, and narrowing the access time gap, I for one must ask how much better can it really get

Typical, these come available right after I built my new rig. Instead of a pair of the old 150Gb RaptorX's, I've missed out on the possibility of a pair of 300Gb Velociraptors in a Raid 0.

That said, I can see one possible drawback with this drive. I mount my drives in caddies (I use a Chenbro SR107 server case). From this photo, it looks like the connectors on the new Velociraptors are not in the standard place to hook up to a backplane and it may be incompatible with quite a number of enclosure and caddy systems.

Last edited by ijm; 04-22-2008 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    That brings one other observation to mind that I noticed this morning. Curious, WD does not bill this new raptor as an "enterprise" class drive. Rather, and enthusiast class model, much like the Raptor-X. That very strongly suggests that the drive's firmware has once again been further fine-tuned away from enterprise environments, and more in line with gaming, general usage, etc. Makes perfect sense to me, as even the ADFD models did not fare very well against SCSI or even SAS drives. But now, with this new model chomping on the heels of some of the best SCSI models out there in terms of STR, and narrowing the access time gap, I for one must ask how much better can it really get
    15,000 RPM

EDIT: Oh yea I really want one of these but $300 dollars is tough.
    Last edited by undersea; 04-22-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

I'll get one, just for the hallibut, as soon as the egg has 'em

Thanks for the comments on the review guys. I'll have a review up of an OCZ 64GB SSD drive sometime this week I think as well.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    15,000 RPM
    That would shave one more millisecond off of the access time. I can dig it

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the comments on the review guys. I'll have a review up of an OCZ 64GB SSD drive sometime this week I think as well.
    Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Are you going to compare/contrast the two in the next podcast?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Hard to say - depends on when I get the testing done!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HD-209-WD

not as dear as i thought they would be

but you can still get 2tb of slightly slower storage for that
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I agree on that they should realease a smaller version,speed is more important.We got backup drives for storage

Agree 100%. 300 gigs for an O/S drive is rediculous, it really can't be justified, IMHO. Gimmee a 150 with the same performance and I'll happy as a clam.

300$ for a harddrive which only has 300GB is for me: very expensive.

I think, however, that if one is interested in a fast harddrive and you want the best from Western Digital, this is the only choice at the moment! I have always liked what Western Digital has been able to show for us consumers. They make really good harddrives that I find reliable and the noise levels is always very acceptable! I like the characteristics which comes from Western Digital harddrives.

Seagate makes good drives too, but I don't like the sound... I don't know about their latest drives, though. Don't know how they sound, but to honest IBM drives is the worst I've ever experienced, they are horrible!

Sorry if I got a little off topic now, but by personal experience one can have different opinions about harddrives and I think that it's something worth to discuss. One often sits very close to the computer and having several drives gives one some type of personal experience, bad or good.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Agree 100%. 300 gigs for an O/S drive is rediculous, it really can't be justified, IMHO. Gimmee a 150 with the same performance and I'll happy as a clam.
    It would be impossible for me to pass one of these up if I could get a much cheaper 150gb version, which should really sell right at $150.00 since the 300gb sells at $300. Better yet, a 100gb at $100.

As it is stands now though, I'll pass. Are you listening WD?