Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

I think since we saw the death of the 74GB raptor recently there is a CHANCE that a 150GB model of the VelociRaptor will make it out.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Do you mean the 74 gig ADFD model is out of production? WD still shows it on their site. The original GD models are gone, of course.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=244

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hard to say - depends on when I get the testing done!
    Nice bit in the Podcast about this Anticipation keeps /mount/ing.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Glad you heard it - should have the review up in an hour or so.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Hmm, yeah, I still think I heard all of the 74GB were done...but maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Do you mean the 74 gig ADFD model is out of production? WD still shows it on their site. The original GD models are gone, of course.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=244
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Check out the front page for the review!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

The price of these drives is as amazing as their Random Access Times.... in a different way of course.

With this review, I can begin developing my strategy to talk my boss into getting me one of these. Notepad will open for me faster than any one else in the building.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    The price of these drives is as amazing as their Random Access Times.... in a different way of course.

With this review, I can begin developing my strategy to talk my boss into getting me one of these. Notepad will open for me faster than any one else in the building.
    That one felt really funny!

Veliciraptor season is here - Are you prepared?

Western Digital still has not finalized the firmware for the retail market, but expects to very shortly.

We will provide a full review of the drive including RAID and enterprise benchmark results once this occurs.
    Western Digital VelociRaptor - No longer just a Raptor

Here's what I don't understand.....how they can charge so damn much for a friggin hard drive? We are talking a dollar per gig.

Granted, I know it is the fastest hard drive on the planet, and yeah I know that the hard drive is almost always the bottleneck in any system because it is the last "moving parts" component to the system.....but

For the price of one of these, I could buy 4 250 gig hard drives, run them in RAID 0+1, have more storage with better backup and match if not beat the burst and average read speeds of this one drive.

Or, for the price of two of these VR's for a RAID setup, I could put those same 4 hard drives onto a hardware RAID 5 controller, still have more storage, and compete with if not beat the the average read speeds, and most likely smoke the burst speeds.

I just don't see how paying a 400% premium for a slightly quicker access time is worth it. Most drives nowadays run for about $0.25 a gig...this guy costs 4 times as much.

I used the 74 gig raptors in RAID 0 awhile back and frankly was not that impressed over the setup I have now (seagate ES.2 drives in RAID 0).

But I guess if you have the money to drop on a $1500 processor then dropping another $600 on these bad boys for a screamin raid setup isn't that crazy!

Ah..... but you wouldn't have anywhere near the raptor's MUCH FASTER access time, or a drive built to the rappy's enterprise quality level.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Ah..... but you wouldn't have anywhere near the raptor's MUCH FASTER access time, or a drive built to the rappy's enterprise quality level.
    Oh I understand that these raptors have much faster access times.....that's their selling point....but as far as "enterprise quality level" there are plenty of other drives out there that boast server or enterprise quality. I've got 4 of em in my rig now....they have MTBF's and warranties that parallel these raptors.

Actually, if you look at WD's website, this new VR is not considered an enterprise drive....it is on the desktop drive page now.

Anyways, to each their own. I'd rather have more storage and redundancy....and quiet!

My $.02

I'm not gonna buy one. I don't need anywhere near that much space, so I'll hope and wait for a 150 gig variant of it.

I'd at least wait for the price to come down.....when the 150 gig raptors hit the street they started at around $300 too IIRC. Now they run $175.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to make a 150gig variant....just one less platter. But I bet they'll still charge ~$240 for one when they first come out.

Probably so. I wouldn't mind seeing a 75 gig variant of it but it would be a short-stroked single platter setup. It's performance could easily be even better.