Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

Quote Originally Posted by wonkanoby View Post
    again a power cut can damage any drive is the head happens to be in the wrong place when it goes

dont happen very often but it can
    I know that different manufacturers use different techniques concerning how the harddrive works. Can this help prevent problems which might occur concerning what has been discussed here?

Not really, as what we're talking about it a "normal" shutdown, versus an abnormal one. A normal shutdown includes a directive from the operating system to "flush the cache", which means to write the contents of the drive's cache back to the disk. When a power loss occurs, that either doesn't happen, or happens during a write, which as an incomplete operation, corrupts the disk.
    Last edited by BWM; 07-07-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Well it was fun to play around with those raptors, but (a) the noise they generate, and (b) my desire to get a 30 inch LCD screen, has prompted me to get rid of them and go with a cheaper solution....so I just ordered up two of the new RE3 drives from WD. They are supposed to have similar STR's to the velociraptors and essentially crush the performance of any other 7200 rpm drive....except for the new Caviar Black drives, and I got a couple of those too to replace my seagate ES.2's.

Will post benchies in a new thread once they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    except for the new Caviar Black drives, and I got a couple of those too to replace my seagate ES.2's.

Will post benchies in a new thread once they arrive.
    Will be interesting indeed! I have put the black drives on my wishlist. I think they will be pretty fast!

The price of those RE3 500GB looks really good. I might get 3 of them to create a RAID5 array which will replace my current RE2 400GB RAID1.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C9 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX1080 G+X 11Gbps + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows Hyper-V RemoteFX server):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximum VIII HERO + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX660 TF + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2012 R2 Std. x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair 1833 C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair 1600 C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

My RE3 250 giggers just came yesterday. I highly recommend pro-vantage. I ordered them Monday night and they were at my door on Wednesday afternoon, with ground shipping. Gonna be running RAID 0 again....curious to see how STR rates compare to velociraptors.

I'll start another thread when I've got them up and running. Need my new E8400 to show up today first.

My RE3 250 giggers just came yesterday. I highly recommend pro-vantage. I ordered them Monday night and they were at my door on Wednesday afternoon, with ground shipping. Gonna be running RAID 0 again....curious to see how STR rates compare to velociraptors.
    Just checked their site; with shipping and tax, it's $83.11 for the 250GB. Not bad, but I'm hoping someone will have it for <$80 shipped. BTW, was your drive securely packed? I've never ordered OEM HDDs through the mail.

I'll start another thread when I've got them up and running. Need my new E8400 to show up today first.
    Looking forward to reading this.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

^^^Hmmm....I must live in a state where tax is not charged.....the whole deal cost me about $153 shipped for both. They used fedex ground service and it shipped out of Fresno (I'm in CA SF bay area).

The drives were very securely packed.....actually 2 small boxes that each contained a hard drive and good packing material, stuffed inside another bigger box that had more packing material. Sealed, anti-static bags on the drives.

I'm hoping to get it up and running tonight.....will post back.

^^^Hmmm....I must live in a state where tax is not charged.....the whole deal cost me about $153 shipped for both. They used fedex ground service and it shipped out of Fresno (I'm in CA SF bay area).
    Nuts, Provantage is based up north in my state (hence the tax )

The drives were very securely packed.....actually 2 small boxes that each contained a hard drive and good packing material, stuffed inside another bigger box that had more packing material. Sealed, anti-static bags on the drives.
    Nice to know that they go the extra mile with the packaging, especially with OEM drives (unlike some others I've read about). Depending on your feedback with the drives, I may just place an order through them. Thx

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Well the black edition 1tb drives are not anything special, so I'm glad I only paid $210 for it because its not any more or less expensive than most 1 tb drives. Average speed in Hdtach was 90mb/s, with burst or 227. My old seagate es.2 drives would do 89mb/s and 175 burst.

So a jump in burst but STR seems disappointing so far....will post up screenies soon.