Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Final!

the only thing keeping me from switching to linux full time is my x-fi sound card and pc gaming. if only they could get something on linux that would dang near do it flawlessly and easily ( i know im dreaming). or if developers woudl actually support linux.

You hit the nail right on the head! If developers would actually support it.

But one of the issues there would be the simple fact that Linux supports so many different architectures. If they were to supply you with a pre-compiled install file that you can simply execute, they would have to have at least a dozen different versions.

And this is one of the reasons why we don't have a unified installation system across all Linux platforms. The only sure way of distributing an application is to distribute the source code. Then each computer can compile it into what ever it needs.

Pretty much all distros have this issue. When downloading a RPM for a RPM distro you have to make sure you get the right version for your CPU architecture. Same thing with DEBs.

This is where the Gentoo Portage system works well. It only sends you the source code and then runs a script to automatically compile and install the applications you choose. It doesn't matter which architecture you're running, Portage downloads the exact same files.

But on the side note, not having the same package management system across the Linux distros is a good thing. Not only does it allow people options on how they deal with adding new programs, but it also adds security by diversity.

We all know how genetic diversity protects animal species in the wild from diseases or viruses. Well the same holds true to computers. If every computer system had the same OS running the same programs, it would be easy to take out a large portion of these computers. Yet if software diversity exists, then it becomes harder to infect the mass of these computers.

very true. diversity does help security. however its a double bladed sword. it also hurts linux's chances of ever being mainstream. it needs to be unified for that to happen.

off topic, sorry, do a google search for cisco linux. It's just a matter of time...

JMHO.

When Linux has the gaming support I'll switch to it full time.
    But until then, I'm stuck with Windows. I gotta have my Age of Conan, Age
    of Empires, ect.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
    Is there an effort to make games work on linux?

CE
    Not a lot. There are a few games that run well in Linux, but for the most part gaming is a Windows experience.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

When games start to become Linux friendly then things will change, and many folks will make the change over to Linux. I know games aren't everything, but they are a factor.

when applications in general become more linux friendly me thinks. most mainstream apps are windows or mac only.

I think it's a bit of a critical mass issue.

There isn't enough people using Linux to provide a decent profit for software vendors to invest in making a Linux edition of their products. Yet because of this 'lack of products', many people dismiss Linux, not giving the native applications a chance.

For one of the biggest issues new users have is that they can't run such 'n such a program. This was an issue even I had at first. We get too used to our favorite program and are not willing to try something new.

This leads us to the other issue Software vendors would face. Why should I pay money for their applications when (most cases) there are free, Open Source ones available for Linux? So this makes Linux an even more poor option for them to look at. Unless they have something radically better then what already exists, it'll be hard for them to sell to the Linux crowd.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 05-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    This leads us to the other issue Software vendors would face. Why should I pay money for their applications when (most cases) there are free, Open Source ones available for Linux? So this makes Linux an even more poor option for them to look at. Unless they have something radically better then what already exists, it'll be hard for them to sell to the Linux crowd.
    I agree, and a case in point - Nero.

Nero released their CD/DVD burning software for Linux, but there is also the free K3b which is excellent. The only people who are going to purchase Nero are those that are new to Linux and unaware of K3b.

I think the first companies to test the water maybe those who have native Mac OS/X applications as they are obviously similar in code base and should port relatively easily. Microsoft could do it with Office, but would probably rather stay out of the Linux environment rather than fueling it's usage in competition to Windows. Although I suspect there may become a point where it's more financially prudent to reap Office sales on Linux than worry about dwindling Windows sales as most of their revenue comes from Office, and they wouldn't want OpenOffice to gain too much popularity. Other Mac staples like Dreamweaver and Photoshop are other obvious candidates.

well I upgraded, and so far, not too pleased. I can't get the Nvidia drivers to load, either with Envy or by hand unless I run the .386 kernel (I was and wish to continue with server), using the .386 kernel, the style is not to my liking.

I bet if a few good producers of games would support the Linux crowd, and it ran much better than with the alternative then gamers would jump at the chance. Free OS and good game performance ? Super combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    I think it's a bit of a critical mass issue.

There isn't enough people using Linux to provide a decent profit for software vendors to invest in making a Linux edition of their products. Yet because of this 'lack of products', many people dismiss Linux, not giving the native applications a chance.

Id software has supported Linux directly with their Quake and Doom lines. Doom III ran a superb on my Linux box, even though neither the RAM, CPU, or the GPU were up to the minimal requirements as listed for Windows. Mind you I probably didn't get all the effects, but I did get all the 'new' shading that was so revelotionary at the time.

-----------------

I upgraded the laptop to 8.04 LTS the other night. And after playing with it for a day and a bit, I'm quit happy. The only issue I'm currently having is the volumn buttons on the keyboard are not working. I'm going to have to do some hunting there to see what's up with that.

I was having an issue with version 7 and the advanced 3D desktop effects (Compiz). Compiz + my graphic card would cause a crash occationally when I resize a window. I'd have to EIUSB to restart the computer as it would be nearly totally frozen. I have yet to test that out to see if that is fixed.

I had two configuration files I had to adjust manually during the upgrade. I remember messing with one of them by hand. I appearly touched the other one too hence it's need for my assistance with them.

The upgrade ran over night. Since it paused on those two configuration files, there was another 1/2 hour of upgrades/downloads left to do in the morning.

A mandatory filesystem check was forced right after the upgrade. It found an issue with the Superblocks. I'm pretty sure this occured during the upgrade as it just so happened I ran a filesystem check the previous day and this error wasn't there. It corrected the issue and I was happily Ubuntuing within minuites.

After the upgrade, there was another round of updates to do. I was a little surprised that the upgrade process didn't include all of the latest security patches. They must have been a little concerned that one of them may break the upgrade process.

All in all, I'm happy so far. The vitals for me are still working: 3D graphics driver, sound, Wifi, etc. Just a little bit of tweaking and it should be running just fine.

Hi Spankin. Glad to hear! What kernel are you running? What graphics card?

I noticed an anomoly last night, was running the .386 version to get my 3D card working, and when I launch a terminal session, all I get is a blank, white background window?

Typing does not show, it is however working, for example if I type exit-->enter, the window closes.

?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Hi Spankin. Glad to hear! What kernel are you running? What graphics card?

I noticed an anomoly last night, was running the .386 version to get my 3D card working, and when I launch a terminal session, all I get is a blank, white background window?

Typing does not show, it is however working, for example if I type exit-->enter, the window closes.

?!?!
    Try changing themes...
    MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Platinum (3.11 BIOS)
    Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (Toledo) 2.6 GHz
    Corsair 850w Power Supply
    3 Sunon BB 80mm Case fans
    4.0 GB Crucial DDR
    2 x 74 GB WD740 Raptors SATA
    2 x 250 GB Hitachi SATA
    Pioneer DVR-115D
    Plextor 880SA
    nVidia - MSI 8800 GT OC