Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Q6700 price cut slipped under the Folding radar ?

Anyone thinking of building and overclocking a quadcore folding rig ?
    The new 45nm quads are the clock for clock best performers, but limited in overclocking by the 333 fsb and lower locked multi, Q6600 is the bang for buck Cpu...... well, maybe......, check out the price cuts on the Q6700, now more affordable and a 10x multi... , I don't think these were ever updated to G0 steppings, but I may be wrong, 10 x 400fsb anyone ?

Remember,
    there is no second place in Folding, if we don't win, everyone loses.
    Last edited by Jester; 04-25-2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Re: Q6700 price cut slipped under the Folding radar ?

man, so many choices: upgrade computer, get a Pentax 67, visit alaska... Too many choices

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer View Post
    man, so many choices: upgrade computer, get a Pentax 67, visit alaska... Too many choices
    Keep buying those lottery tickets.......
    Fold with what you have,

If I recall all the q6700's are g0.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

Quote Originally Posted by 0156 View Post
    If I recall all the q6700's are g0.

Seems to be G0 stepping indeed: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9615

Some Overclocking info here (see link) !

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

My mistake,
    It was the QX6700 (with the unlocked multi) that was the B3,
    Q6700 replaced it around the time the Q6600 was released, both G0 stepping.
    Fold with what you have,

I just bought a Q9300. I'm going to try to OC the Q6600 first. I'm looking for mild OC with stability in mind. Do I need fancy memory in order to OC? I'm running this:
    Link to Geil memory
    Dok

You guyz are really getting to me. Going to 2.7 Ghz on a Q6600 was nothing. Even with valueram class memory. Shhoting for 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I just bought a Q9300. I'm going to try to OC the Q6600 first. I'm looking for mild OC with stability in mind. Do I need fancy memory in order to OC? I'm running this:
    Link to Geil memory
    Unlike the old Socket A days where you needed to run the ram in sync with the fsb for peak performance, the current systems don't. There are some tweaks that can make improve the performance, but for the most part once you find the max usable fsb of the system set the ram to run as close to it's rated speed as possible. Some ram is better than others at running above spec, but for folding that's a big gamble. You can drop the multi of the Q6600 to raise the fsb higher so that you can get the ram closer to 800. If the Quad will do 3.2GHz (which most G0's can do with ease) try 8 x 400 rather than 9 x 356 to get the ram to 800 instead of 700, especially with Value Ram which tends not to OC as well.

And I run across more folders having EUE problems with the higher performance 4-4-4-12 ram than the standard 5-5-5-18 ram in the various folding forums I visit. I think that the higher 2.2-2.3 vdimm needed to run them at 4-4-4-12 causes too much heat when running then 24/7 like we do when folding to keep them from erroring out occasionally. My Corsair 4-4-4-12 will run MemTest86 for hours on end without an error but can't fold for more than an hour or two before it EUEs the WU. Running it at the same speed but at 5-5-5-18 with 1.8vdimm is smooth sailing. The difference in frame times between 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-18 is so slight that it really isn't enough of a factor for me to waste time trying to get them to run with the timings.

As always, YMMV.

Don
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I've been reading up on here and several how-to guides found on Google. I think I'll try a 9X333 overclock to hit that magic 3Ghz number and see how it runs there. I'm going to build a system at home so I can play with this on my own time. Is the GA-P35-DS3L a decent board to learn on? Any suggestions for a heatsink/fan for the proc? Parts should be in next week, at which time I'll have tons of questions.
    Brad
    Dok

I've been reading up on here and several how-to guides found on Google. I think I'll try a 9X333 overclock to hit that magic 3Ghz number and see how it runs there. I'm going to build a system at home so I can play with this on my own time. Is the GA-P35-DS3L a decent board to learn on? Any suggestions for a heatsink/fan for the proc? Parts should be in next week, at which time I'll have tons of questions.
    Brad

Most of the P35's are good OC's. If you can get a deal on a DS4 its a lot more stable for high OC's.

I don't like noise so I use Zalman HSF, if you go with DS3L use the models that blow down over the voltage regulators, I prefer the 9700 model (horizontal) but they blow less air over the regulators - DS4 is OK with that.

My Q6600's (B3) will all do 330 bus speed - getting past that with 2x SMP can be a challenge.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

That's an excellent board to learn on. I have one personally. I will PM you the info I sent to BWM about what settings to change when overclocking them.

The stock units should be sufficient for a mild OC to the 2.7 to 3.0 range if you have a G0 stepping, but will probably not be good for more than 2.7 or so on an older B3 Quad. I found out the hard way that the AC Freezer 7 Pro which works quite well on a Dual Core can't deal with a Quad very well so I would avoid that although if you have one laying around it's worth trying on a G0. The Thermalrights are popular as is the Zalman 9700.

Don

Wow! Are you reading my mind? I'm looking at the NewEgg description of the AC 7 as I'm reading your post. You're good!

Thermalrights are out of stock, looking at Zalman now...
    Brad
    Dok

Try Sidewinder.

The EnzoTech is supposed to be quite good although I haven't been able to test one personally.

Wow! Are you reading my mind? I'm looking at the NewEgg description of the AC 7 as I'm reading your post. You're good!

Thermalrights are out of stock, looking at Zalman now...
    Brad

I use Zalman only ...

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.