In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

New X-Fi fatality driving me nuts....

Man I dont have time for this crap.

This thing sounds like a nightmare badtrip hallucination or something.
    It stutters it skips it does all this weird stuff.
    Is the card a dud or is it a driver problem?maybe alchemy has something to do with it?
    Ive tried using a newer driver and everything same thing,reinstalled 3 times.

What should I do?Im tired now gonna go catch some zs I cant stay up all night again dealing with this crap.

Re: New X-Fi fatality driving me nuts....

have you tried it in all the slots avaidable on the board

its one ive never heard of
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

Did you use the newest drivers?

The bluegears card works real nice with Vista 64
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

940@ 3.0, Biostar 750(Bios 7/23) Geil 2 x 2GB (DDR2-1066), OCZ 600, Xigmatek HDT-S1283, WD AAKS 640 X2 Raid0, EVGA 560, Auzentech X-Studio, ASUS Xonar DX, Win 7

Phenom 955 @ 3.6, Asrock 870, Gskill DDR3 1600, OCZ 700, Xigmatek, Samsung 830 240,Sapphire 7950, WIN 7

Im using the 2_15_0006 drivers which I assume are the newest.Got them directly from creatives website.
    Its funny cause its not a constant hiss or stutter.Its an intermitent thing.
    Turning off that crystalizer thing and all those other audio settings for this card seemed to help at first,like I could get an entire mp3 song to play with out hissing or skipping.
    But then came the grand test of Battlefield 2, which happens to be a game that goes with this card,even has the xfi logo on the audio options screen....
    So I set it to hardware decode with ultra high quality.And yeah the game sounded great,in fact better then anything Ive ever heard,untill the hissing and screeching and stuttering happened 2 minutes into the game.Was so annoying I had to yank my headphones off me.

And from the looks of it others are having these problems in vista with xfi as well.If its true that creative is intentionally doing this to their driver that means creative is gonna be another 3dfx watch.....

Yes Ive heard very positive things about the bluegear,Im considering that as an option if I return this xfi.

What Im going to do first is a nice format of my entire system,set a dual boot with xp and see if It still happens in an xp enviroment.

Works fine in XP.

I knew it was a vista driver issue.Whos to blame though?MS for removing Direct Sound in vista or Creative for not making a decent driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Works fine in XP.

I knew it was a vista driver issue.Whos to blame though?MS for removing Direct Sound in vista or Creative for not making a decent driver?

Thats easy,

creative!
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

940@ 3.0, Biostar 750(Bios 7/23) Geil 2 x 2GB (DDR2-1066), OCZ 600, Xigmatek HDT-S1283, WD AAKS 640 X2 Raid0, EVGA 560, Auzentech X-Studio, ASUS Xonar DX, Win 7

Phenom 955 @ 3.6, Asrock 870, Gskill DDR3 1600, OCZ 700, Xigmatek, Samsung 830 240,Sapphire 7950, WIN 7

Did you also update Alchemy to the latest version?

Is your X-Fi the old or the new revision? The current revision has a heatsink on the DSP and a newer BIOS.

What motherboard/chipset are you using? Is the X-Fi trying to share an IRQ with another device? Have you tried moving the X-Fi to a different PCI slot?

i5 3570k Windows 7 x64 gaming rig, Intel NUC SageTV server (2TB iSCSI storage), Intel i3 HTPC

It might help with to find drivers from Daniel - K.
    Case: Supermicro SC733TQ
    MB: ASUS Z7S WS
    CPU: 2 L5420 @ 3 GHZ /w Thermaltake 90 Ultima
    Video: 2 ATI 4850 Crossfire
    Memory: Quamida 8GB 800mhz
    Raid: 3ware 9690sa w/ 4 74 Raptor ADFD @ Raid 10
    Spare HD: WD 640 GB, I-Ram 4GB (Readybooste, Temp, IE)
    Sound: Auzentech Prelude /w Logitech Z5500
    DVD: 1 Lite-on 20x
    LCD Bay: Imon w/ controler
    PSU: XIGMATEK 750 watts
    Display: Hanngs 28"
    Accessories: All Logitech

Yes I had the latest version of Alchemy.

Uhh I have no idea what revision card this is,didnt even think of it.It has a heatsink on what Im gonna assume is the X-Fi processor itself.
    I tried searching for a newer bios/firmware,couldnt find it

You can see what mobo I have above in system specs,its an nforce 4 chipset.

I dont know if its sharing an IRQ,all I know is that it works fine in XP.

I think blame lies solely with Creative. It isn't like Vista is a new product anymore, and if a single dude in Brazil can fix Creatives drivers in his free time, then surely their own staff should be capable.

"Creative purposely modified the Audigy drivers to disable some features when Vista is detected..."- From the person looking at the code who actually gets their products working
    Bluegears time.
    Last edited by Gator650; 05-05-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

I found a link for info on the Daniel-K X-Fi Vista drivers. Worth looking into.

http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/...lb_2_15_0004a/

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Yes I had the latest version of Alchemy.

Uhh I have no idea what revision card this is,didnt even think of it.It has a heatsink on what Im gonna assume is the X-Fi processor itself.
    I tried searching for a newer bios/firmware,couldnt find it

You can see what mobo I have above in system specs,its an nforce 4 chipset.

I dont know if its sharing an IRQ,all I know is that it works fine in XP.
    I know the X-Fi's generally don't like NF4 chipsets. If you have 4GB or more RAM, you should install the MS PCI memory addressing hotfix.

Check the device manager to see which IRQ your X-Fi is trying to use. Sometimes it tries to share with the video card, the USB controller, or your HD controller. Moving the card to a different PCI slot should give it a different IRQ.

Vista also forces APIC mode, while XP does not. You could try disabling APIC in the BIOS (although you'll probably have to run a Windows repair to get Windows to boot afterwards).

i5 3570k Windows 7 x64 gaming rig, Intel NUC SageTV server (2TB iSCSI storage), Intel i3 HTPC

I had the same exact problem and it only happened in BF2 when I had it set on Ultra High. When I took it down to High, it never happened again. I wasn't able to find any alternatives for fixing the problem.

Driver issues are why I gave up on my XFI , and went with the bluegears card , besides who wants to mess with switching modes when listening to music and playing games . If by chance you cant get the XFI working then I would get a bluegears , like Undersea said, no issues with drives and plays nice on nvidia chipsets
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    I know the X-Fi's generally don't like NF4 chipsets. If you have 4GB or more RAM, you should install the MS PCI memory addressing hotfix.

Check the device manager to see which IRQ your X-Fi is trying to use. Sometimes it tries to share with the video card, the USB controller, or your HD controller. Moving the card to a different PCI slot should give it a different IRQ.

Vista also forces APIC mode, while XP does not. You could try disabling APIC in the BIOS (although you'll probably have to run a Windows repair to get Windows to boot afterwards).
    Well this Xfi and the NF4 chipset seem to get along fine in XP.Or is it a vista alone issue?

Im supposed to have 4 gigz of RAM but,only posts 3.5 due to add ons.Should I still try that PCI memory adressing hotfix?

Will check IRQs,but I highly doubt it being the problem.

Hmm APIC..... Right now I think I have that on even in XP and everything is fine.
    Last edited by Poci; 05-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.