Anyone here using Joomla!

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone here is using Joomla!

I'm planning on having a play with it shortly, and wondered if anyone has any tips or advice to get me off on the right track before I start. I'm planning on deploying it on a RHEL5.1 based system.

Re: Anyone here using Joomla!

Ned, have you downloaded a virtual appliance of Joomla that is pre-installed so you can play with the options of it without committing it to your machine?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

No, but that's an idea.

I have a test box I can play on that's not running apache/php/mysql for anything, but it is my mail server.

Basically, I have a blog-style static website that I've totally coded in css/html and would like an easier way to add content rather than manually editing html files in a text editor. I have used Joomla very briefly as a user and it seems ideal from a content creation perspective.

The key issue for me will be if/how easily I can translate my current css design into a Joomla template... and I know no php whatsoever. Is this a non-starter for me, or rather more effort than it's worth?

ive got a pdf book on joomla 1.5. if you are interested...ill throw it up for download.
    hmm...

Ned, how is this project going? Any thoughts or findings regarding Joomla at this point? Did you try a virtual appliance?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

I'm damn good on it if I do say so myself. We even run a support forum for a couple of extensions we've written/are writing. Stop by. ask any question you need to. Response is pretty fast.

Joomla Me!
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

Just set up a site for my WoW guild that uses it. I didn’t do the coding myself though, it was a packaged site that used it. My Html and CSS skills are simply not enough to configure anything more than a simple informational web site.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

just started using it and from an ease of use perspective it RAWKS

This is an amazing dadabase driven system
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Hi Guys,

Just an update - I've not really played with it in a serious way. I wanted to convert an existing website to a CMS based system and just found it too difficult to migrate my existing CSS to Joomla given my limited CSS skills. I do agree it's pretty powerful and easy to set up and use if you're happy to stick with a stock template though - just that I miss the fine granular control over layout that CSS gives me.

i hear you on that ned. i am working on a project of a similar nature, (you know the one ) and it is extremely difficult to integrate. it is taking forever. ive got 3 books on it and it isnt really helping me much.
    hmm...