Thank you PC Perspective

Hey folks. First post. I go by Quakindude at all the forums I belong to. Heard about your contest and give a way for disabled American Vets. I myself am going through this process right now at 19 years and two months in the Army. I've not usually said a whole lot about this, but here the Cliff's Notes:

Big explosion. Headaches. Finished my tour and came home. Few months after coming home, had brain surgery to fix ruptured, and thankfully, very small blood vessels in my brain. They say I have MTBI, Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, and I think so too due to my symptoms, although I'm just now able to admit to it. I have brain surgery induced severe obstructive sleep apnea, 40% loss of strength on my left side, moderate to severe balance issues and headaches like you wouldn't believe. My memory problems are fairly extensive as are my other mental issues. PTSD has been thrown in there and so has "unidentified joint degradation syndrome." One thought keeps going through my mind. I'm in this shape....and I'm only 38.

I'm terrified of the medical board process and where this will leave my family of four and I. I don't sleep much. I worry a lot.

I'm usually very disenchanted with how America is treating her service members. Lord knows, there's lot of folks with a heck of a lot worse injuries than mine. But they are mine, so I worry about them. I have absolutely no confidence in the governmental programs in place to "help" service members.

But then, just about an hour and a half ago, I saw a thread in another forum about what you guys are doing here to raise money for the DAV. Tonight, I may sleep a bit better knowing there are those out there, on a grander scale, who would organize events like this and contribute to the DAV and offer specialized contests for Vets and those who support them. Good people who are aware of the plight of the wounded service men and women in this country. It shows people like me who are a bit jaded that there's hope for the hurting after all.

Thank you guys very much. You've brought a tear of joy/pride to this face of mine.

-Tom

Re: Thank you PC Perspective

Tom,

Thank you for your kind comments and I can tell you that any sacrifice we make with cash or PC hardware is minor compared to what you and other vets have gone through. I am glad that you are inspired by the contest but it was vets like yourself that inspired us to do it at all.

Good luck to you in your recovery! And feel free to stick around our forum - we have good people here that are more than willing to share their opinions.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Quakindude View Post
    Hey folks. First post. I go by Quakindude at all the forums I belong to. Heard about your contest and give a way for disabled American Vets. I myself am going through this process right now at 19 years and two months in the Army. I've not usually said a whole lot about this, but here the Cliff's Notes:

Big explosion. Headaches. Finished my tour and came home. Few months after coming home, had brain surgery to fix ruptured, and thankfully, very small blood vessels in my brain. They say I have MTBI, Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, and I think so too due to my symptoms, although I'm just now able to admit to it. I have brain surgery induced severe obstructive sleep apnea, 40% loss of strength on my left side, moderate to severe balance issues and headaches like you wouldn't believe. My memory problems are fairly extensive as are my other mental issues. PTSD has been thrown in there and so has "unidentified joint degradation syndrome." One thought keeps going through my mind. I'm in this shape....and I'm only 38.

I'm terrified of the medical board process and where this will leave my family of four and I. I don't sleep much. I worry a lot.

I'm usually very disenchanted with how America is treating her service members. Lord knows, there's lot of folks with a heck of a lot worse injuries than mine. But they are mine, so I worry about them. I have absolutely no confidence in the governmental programs in place to "help" service members.

But then, just about an hour and a half ago, I saw a thread in another forum about what you guys are doing here to raise money for the DAV. Tonight, I may sleep a bit better knowing there are those out there, on a grander scale, who would organize events like this and contribute to the DAV and offer specialized contests for Vets and those who support them. Good people who are aware of the plight of the wounded service men and women in this country. It shows people like me who are a bit jaded that there's hope for the hurting after all.

Thank you guys very much. You've brought a tear of joy/pride to this face of mine.

-Tom
    Hey Tom -

Welcome and thank you for service and sacrifices.

As you can see I go by tucker Iíve been hanginí around the pc per forums for over 4 years. This is a good place with lots of good people who are always willing to listen and help if they can.

I am also a disabled veteran but from another era, Iím a certified old fart . Reading your post brings back lots of memories both good and some not so good. Iím not a doctor I speak strictly from firsthand experience. I think you are doing a helpful thing by talking about your injuries and feelings. A lot of injured service members and veterans tend to keep their emotions bottled up in side. For some people that works but for the majority it doesnít. If I were you Iíd make sure the lines of communication are always open with your family. Talk to them often they worry too.

I understand your worries and uncertainty about your injuries, the healing process and the medical board. I assume you are dealing with the Army and not the VA? Here is some advice for when you get to that stage. Get DAV representation in your claims process. They are knowledgeable about the VA and all the red tape and should be able to guide you through the process. If need be donít be afraid to get in contact with your congressmen and senators. They can help if the process bogs down or if you feel you arenít being treat fairly. By all means hang in there things will workout just fine.

Iím uncertain if you are still a member of the Army in an active status. I would try very hard to finish your remaining 10 months so you can retire with 20 years of service. That way you will be entitled to dual compensation.

This isnít about me itís about you but Iíll give you a little background on my injuries. I was in the middle of a big explosion too, at 21 years of age. I suffered a traumatic ak amputation on the left side, loss of vision in the left eye, profound hearing loss and multiple fragmentation wounds. Not as bad as some of the guys and galls but as you say they are my injuries. It was a very long physical healing process and the mental aspect took even longer to finally workout.

No two people are the same everybody goes through a different healing process but here are a few things I did.

With me the key to the whole process was letting the medical professionals do their job and constantly setting new goals one small step at a time. I always tried my very best to keep a positive attitude. I went to outreach type meetings with other disabled vets and that helped a lot. For quite a while I saw shrinks and listened what they had to say. Luckily my psychological problems werenít nearly as severe as what some people have.

If you can please stay positive, I know itís a hard thing to do but itís very important. It may not seem like it now but things will turnout ok.

Enough of my windy old BSÖ

I understand your feelings about government I feel that way too and I think the majority of the American people feel that way also. I know the government doesnít make it easy but never give up stay after them for as long as you have to. The way I understand it there is new legislation designed to help all veterans including the disabled. It is the responsibility of the American people to make sure that legislation is passed. This time I hope they make sure it happens.

Keep in mind the vast majority of the American people care about you and all of the soldiers, they really do.

BtwÖ I have a son thatís just back from Iraq for about 3 weeks and he seems to be readjusting pretty well.

Again welcome home and thank you for what you didÖ

Tim -
    Last edited by tucker; 05-15-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Thank you Tim. I do stay positive for the most part. No reason not to. It is what it is. I've spent four years not really saying more than, I got hurt in Iraq and it sucks, and also making a lot of excuses for how my brain works now as compared to before the injury.

I am still on active duty, SFC Black at your service, and the medical board process is just beginning. I've got a lot to learn in a very short amount of time relating to this, as well as trying to find a civilian job for when I do get out. So if it takes me a bit to get back to posts and PM's, please forgive me. I will, but the passage of time in my head is a lot different from real world. For example, since Friday last week, it seems to me like just a couple of days have passed. Not that I have Ground Hog Day syndrome, but I just don't realize how much time has gone by. This is very frustrating to the Army more than it is to me.

Thank you for your very kind words. I do plan on being more upfront and informative about my injuries, but this is new to me to really get into details about anything from that year in Iraq. So bear with me.

-Tom

Hi Tom...I read your post and want to say thank you for serving your country (actually that's me and my wife that you have served among 250 million others)...so I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. You have my complete empathy here, my friend. I'm sorry I'm of no help here but I wanted you to know your duty does not go unrecognized by people that you might walk by on the street.

Finally noticed the announcement this was referring to. Thanks

AW2(AW/NAC)USN

Quote Originally Posted by Quakindude View Post
    Thank you Tim. I do stay positive for the most part. No reason not to. It is what it is. I've spent four years not really saying more than, I got hurt in Iraq and it sucks, and also making a lot of excuses for how my brain works now as compared to before the injury.

I am still on active duty, SFC Black at your service, and the medical board process is just beginning. I've got a lot to learn in a very short amount of time relating to this, as well as trying to find a civilian job for when I do get out. So if it takes me a bit to get back to posts and PM's, please forgive me. I will, but the passage of time in my head is a lot different from real world. For example, since Friday last week, it seems to me like just a couple of days have passed. Not that I have Ground Hog Day syndrome, but I just don't realize how much time has gone by. This is very frustrating to the Army more than it is to me.

Thank you for your very kind words. I do plan on being more upfront and informative about my injuries, but this is new to me to really get into details about anything from that year in Iraq. So bear with me.

-Tom
    Cool, I think youíre on the way to recoveryÖ

Thereís no need to ever make excuses for anything, as you say it is what it is. It took me a while to come to the conclusion there is no need to feel self-conscious or anything like that. Hell itís been so long for me that I canít imagine people actually having ten toes to be stepped on or two shoes to tie every morning, odd . I think youíll do just fine with the medical board just be yourself and straight forward. I donít think they are in the least bit out to get you. There are lots of resources available to assist you in finding a job when you get out. If you use them I think you should be able to find a pretty good job relatively easily.

My morning routine consists of rolling out of bed, dropping everything I pick up for two hours, spilling coffee on the rug and asking my wife what day it is. The older I get the more my concept of time changes.

Talking about your injuries isnít mandatory for some people it just seems to help make things a little easier, it was/is that way for me. As far as detailed explanations of what happen in Iraq they arenít necessarily needed unless you feel comfortable doing that. Myself Iíve really never get into detailed discussions what happened in Vietnam itís more of a generic type thing with me. Although every once in a while Iíll get into details with my wife and now that my kids are older Iíll open up to them on occasions.

Keep in mind none of this stuff is a one size fits all type of thing. With time it all kind of falls into line for you. Itís whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hang in there and stay on the positive side thereís no doubt things will work out for you.

Tim -

Thanks for your service Tom. i can't imagine what something like that must be like. Best of luck to you and your family.

For me? The best part of the contest was reading stuff like this and in the Memorial Day threat at OT where members said "thank you" to guys like Quakendude, tucker,Slayerhawk and others.

Amen..... I thought I had a lot of health problems.
    It pales compared to what you fellas have been through.
    And what you have given to your country.
    It gives me more strength.
    God bless all of you

^^^

what they said

Thanks
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Bump

My writing is atrocious and it's still hard for me to focus and read. My typing and spelling is forever off, so I edit a lot. Yet my math still works- and so do the programs I write. It takes me a while to do, but they usually work as hoped for and are almost always over-the-top. That's cause you keep getting up and doing it anyhow. You can still improve confidence and production- even though there's not a lot you can do about some of the fundamentals.

For me, the digital age was the result of democracy and capitalism I needed to get by. I don't make a lot of friends, but God has allowed me what I need. I have had people who loved me and helped me and I have had the opportunity of being a rotten kid that somehow got turned into someone who somehow has had the blessing to get far enough to provide some joy and opportunity for others as well.

While I can thank Jesus for my soul, there are a lot of people I also owe my ass. Well, you've been there.

I didn't want to be another basket case for society to handle...

...but this America was up to the task.

And a lot of y'all also came home and became firemen, policemen, construction workers, and leaders, etc. and helped protect a lot of what I knew as a kid- and mine haven't gone hungry either.

So I thank all you veterans today- both the quick and the dead...and even those of you who, by the grace of God, never got to know the difference...and you QuakinDude. I also know a lot of you had to be more souless sinners than caring saints-especially when you finally got to those areas they told you to go...and did or didn't what they told you to do. Just know that Jesus is really about forgiveness and just remember, this is still a place- a land and people- you can fall on you knees before God and say, "Thank you for the USA!"
    Last edited by AeroSim; 11-11-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: It isn't about me

Amen brother, amen. Happy veteran's day.