Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Klondik is offline I spelled my name wrong..

DVD Copying Software

I need to copy some home DVDs, and I couldn't find anything that would help me in the suite of software that comes with Vista 64 Home Premium. I was also unsure if any of the software in the freeware sticky would meet my needs; most of them seemed to be for file backup, not DVD copying.

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Re: DVD Copying Software

DVD's are encrypted, and you cannot legally copy them, IIRC.

Not surprised to hear that, but I'm only trying to copy a DVD from a home video.

Another wrench to throw in: It's a DVD from a japanese video camera. Not sure if there's a compatibility issue or not.

If they are home DVD's that you recorded and aren't encrypted any of the DVD Burning Software Packages should be able to handle that. You might want to give the Nero Trial version a try. It's good for 15 days. It won't copy encrypted DVD's though.

Don
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Watch out for the first chinese software pimp to dive into this thread

EDIT: Text removed as asked by one of the mods. Will post back if he agrees with my reasoning.

Just make sure you're not breaking any law. If you live in USA, I believe breaking any form of encryption would be illegal.

After the files are in your HD, any recent burning software (Nero, for instance) should be able to do the job for you, and even compress the files beforehand, if the DVD media does not have enough free space.
    Last edited by MarkHark; 05-18-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 is freeware and will copy the DVD.

And have some of you ever heard of giving someone the benefit of the doubt?
    Last edited by JustinC939; 05-18-2008 at 11:05 PM.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

I did give him the benefit of the doubt. If the DVD is un-encrypted then he should have no problems with the solution I outlined. And I did so without recommending any illegal software.

Don

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help. I found something called BurnAware on the freeware sticky, and I got it done with only 1 new coaster

And it's totally legal, not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    I did give him the benefit of the doubt. If the DVD is un-encrypted then he should have no problems with the solution I outlined. And I did so without recommending any illegal software.

Don

I wasn't referring to you, I was just commenting how some people here always jump to the conclusion that he's doing something illegal.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Justin, it isn't so much that we jump to that conclusion but that we have to be careful how we handle requests like this. Since PCPer is based in the USA we have to operate on the premise that anything posted here has to stay within USA laws and regulations. With that in mind even if the OP is from an area where DMCA doesn't apply posting info about circumventing it on a USA based website is in fact in violation of the DMCA. The last thing we want to do is get the site owner in trouble and get the entire site shutdown. So references to the software that you and Mark posted really should be removed unless cleared by a senior mod or Ryan himself.

Don

If it's a home video DVD that already plays, DVD Shrink would be a waste of time - unless the source disc is DVD9 (8.5GB) in which case DVD Shrink would be useful for shrinking the disc to fit DVD5 (4.7GB). It's unlikely to be DVD9 anyway. As MrNovi said, using Nero or some other CD/DVD burning software to do a direct disc copy would be the way to go.

DVD copying and decryption software is not illegal in most countries, but the act of decrypting copy protection or copying copyrighted DVD's (even for backup purposes) breaches copyright laws in almost all countries. That shouldn't be interpreted as saying they're legal in the USA. Copying copyrighted discs (even for backups) also almost always breaches the disc's own copyright. To add to what MrNovi said, one of the main emphases of this site is to not allow the advocation of piracy. Part of that is prohibiting info on how to circumvent copy protection.

As for the Japanese thing, that would depend if the original disc has been set to a particular region. If the disc is "Region Free", there will be no issue. Same with if the player is also "Region Free". You can find out region settings for the original disc by opening DVD playback software on your PC and then open disc properties/info.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-18-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Justin, it isn't so much that we jump to that conclusion but that we have to be careful how we handle requests like this. Since PCPer is based in the USA we have to operate on the premise that anything posted here has to stay within USA laws and regulations. With that in mind even if the OP is from an area where DMCA doesn't apply posting info about circumventing it on a USA based website is in fact in violation of the DMCA. The last thing we want to do is get the site owner in trouble and get the entire site shutdown. So references to the software that you and Mark posted really should be removed unless cleared by a senior mod or Ryan himself.

Don
    I understand what you're saying, I just don't like the idea that we have to walk on eggshells becuase somebody mentions "Copying Home DVDs".
    It would be entirly differnt if the OP asked what software he should use to back up his Netflix rentals.

And The software I mentioned is hardly illegal. There are illegal things that can be done with that software, but I could say that about the OS I'm running too.

And for the record DVD shrink is pretty much useless for breaking DVD encryption anymore considering it's abandonware (for about 5 years), but it does a good job at fitting large DVD to smaller discs, and mastering them.

I think the DMCA is gonna have thier hands full, as DVD replicator machines have recently become available, for a very cheap price. I really gotta laugh at those stooges, they tell you it's illegal to copy something, then allow the hardware to do it be readily available. Since you can walk into Walmart or most video stores ,and buy movies for as little as $2 apiece, it doesn't really make much sense to spend the time to copy a movie.Even using shrink, it still takes 2 hours to copy a 2 hour movie. Besides, the police would have to become the Gestopo ,to find everyone that makes backups of thier collections FOR THIER OWN USE.Even now, the use of a DVR ,violates the copyright law, but it's in use by thousands of Directv customers, me included
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Actually, any software with DeCSS is illegal in the USA (and any other country that subscribes to the World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty). Those programs include one of the ones that you mentioned as well as the one that Mark removed from his post. I'm not familiar with Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 to know for sure, but I tend to doubt that it would have DeCSS included.

And the law isn't just about how you use it, it also pertains to posting information about it, links to it, recommendations for using it, tutorials, etc. It's a much larger mess than this thread needs to deal with and has been debated time and time again. Whether we like it or not, that is the law in the USA and we have to abide by it.

And DVDShrink isn't abandonware. It was bought by AHead and is now marketed as NeroVision Express without DeCSS.

Don
    Last edited by MrNovi; 05-18-2008 at 10:48 PM.