AMD GAME! Experience and Initiative - thoughts?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=560

Curious what you guys think about this idea after reading my editorial:
    One question that immediately came to mind while sitting and starting at this information was: will it actually help? One of key problems with the PC gaming market (and that AMD agrees with) is that the variances in hardware,
    drivers, vendors and software make compatibility an issue and lead gamers into negative experiences that sour the PC as a gaming platform. AMD's goal was to try and prevent that issue by creating GAME! that would attempt to set certain standards for PC in order to guarantee a quality gaming experience. However, you'd be foolish to think that AMD was going to spend their money and resources to quality Intel processors or NVIDIA GPUs into this "standard" - and that's the major issue. Instead of creating a "standard", AMD has created a "competing standard".
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: AMD GAME! Experience and Initiative - thoughts?

I'm thinking this idea isn't going to pan out for AMD. To me, it left the taste of all the silly Vista versions.

Am I just Game! or am I Game!+Ultra. Is Game! + Ultra better than Crossfire? or will there be Crossfire!+Ultra+Game!+Extreme?

To me, the problem hasn't been if I have enough hardware to run a game as all games have configuration menus that allow you to tweak it.... the problem has been with A) crappy drivers
    and
    B) games getting rushed out into production with bugs in order to start a return on investment.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Ryan i think your assessment is dead on and this quote is so priceless

"What the industry really needs, and what gamers would ultimately want, is for a non-corporate entity, say like the apparently-completely-useless PC Gaming Alliance (of which AMD is actually a member), to independently create these standards as a partnership between AMD, Intel, NVIDIA and the software creators themselves. Instead we have AMD GAME!, NVIDIA's sure-to-be-upcoming take on the "balanced PC" and, oh, don't forget Intel's penchant to create new platforms themselves."

this puts in perspective what i have been saying over in my PC Gaming Alliance where art thou? thread

They should be saying something yet they are letting their members run around like kids in armory. This is a huge problem perhaps this so called alliance can pull all the competing standards together in time though i seriously doubt they will do anything but fade into nothingness.
    Last edited by Maxius; 05-19-2008 at 11:47 PM.
    My Pc
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6ghz
    Memory: 16gb Cosair ddr3 1866
    Hard Drives: 1x 1TB + 100gb muskin ssd cache, 1x 2tb 2 x3 tb
    Video: AMD Radeon R9 290
    Sound: Creative Xfi Fatal1ty Pro
    Lcd: Gateway Black-Silver 24"

the other bad part is, unlike a console where games are always designed for that hardware, pc games will always go for the latest and greatest, so what happens 3 years from now when someone goes and buys a game and they find out their AMD Game system cannot play it very well?

Quote Originally Posted by grimmster View Post
    the other bad part is, unlike a console where games are always designed for that hardware, pc games will always go for the latest and greatest, so what happens 3 years from now when someone goes and buys a game and they find out their AMD Game system cannot play it very well?
    well the standards change every year i think it is more a push on oem's to upgrade their lines than anything casue some oem's have the same crappy model on a store shelf for 1-4 years
    My Pc
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6ghz
    Memory: 16gb Cosair ddr3 1866
    Hard Drives: 1x 1TB + 100gb muskin ssd cache, 1x 2tb 2 x3 tb
    Video: AMD Radeon R9 290
    Sound: Creative Xfi Fatal1ty Pro
    Lcd: Gateway Black-Silver 24"

The other side to this, as I see it, is for gaming companies to quit pushing out bug-ridden, poorly coded games that bring even high-end systems to their knees. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a prime example of this and should have never been all due to lousy coding. How may patches? 5 going on 6 now? How about Gothic 3 and its infamous memory leak that took a community patch to fix -- and there are still issues that the developer will not now deal with.

If this "Gaming Alliance" ever really does fly they still can do only so much. Both the "Alliance" and the Game Developers need to be on the same page.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Nvidias gonna have to start making CPUs as well if they wanna stay alive I think....

Sounds like a desperate attempt by AMD to get users to purchase systems with their parts to save the effort of converting to an alternate setup combination.

It wont work. On the back of games at present there is a minimum specs - which works more or less ok. What it doesnt show you is exactly the same thing the AMD GAME! profile wont - gaming resolutions and filtering levels - such as one Toms hardware store would provide when giving a gfx card test. the table would be too expansive, e.g

1024*768 resolution ,0AA 0AF = AMD 64bit 3700xp+ (or something)
    1900*1044 resolution 4AA 8AF = Something yet to be invented.

In addition to the resolution + filtering tables, detailing platform setup, there is the scale of performance. E.g some people will take 20fps and really high effects over turning everything down to run 40fps on a slower system.

And as mentioned above - these are not the only factors take into performance. Theres drivers, theres PC hygiene, theres the fact the manufacturer (or AMD) has to test each game thoroughly on release to generate the above table.

Opinion: Not interested, and dont think it will produce anything worthwhile except for a price hike to create the data.
    Athlon 64+ 3700 Sandiego
    Asus a8n sli-delux Mobo
    1gb OCZ EB Pc3200 Ram
    36Gb WD Raptor
    2x120Gb Seagate Baracudda STRIPED RAID
    7900GT XFX graphics

There was another perspective (sorry 'bout that!) - that you would need to change the spec every year. The Game Ultra of 2008 wouldn't be Ultra anymore in 2009. The PS3, by comparison, wouldn't change very much.

I live in a country where the ratio of hardware prices to household income is a tad skewed towards the former. I was in a computer store yesterday where I overheard a conversation about which Shader model the nVidia 7050 chipset supported. I would've interrupted with a pretty rude remark about its capabilities, but decided to mind my own business.

The fact is that the PC gaming market is too diverse, with too many variables and it's difficult for any manufacturer (including software developers who actually build the games) to estimate the final configuration of the PC, and therefore the gaming experience. In this scenario, the Game! initiative may form a basic assurance for the end-buyer that the experience will be somewhat pleasant, given that the audience this initiative is aimed at probably doesn't visit forums (or even websites) like this one.

However just announcing the initiative isn't enough. It needs marketing muscle (=$$$$) and long term vision. Not the kind of shoddy support given to 4x4, or more recently, Spider. How many dollars did Intel pump into Centrino, or into Intel Inside? If AMD is seeing 10 dollars each from 20 million gamers, it needs to start puming in money into the initiative. Sure they may lose a few dollars here and there, but the guy who is going to fall for this kind of initiative is watching TV and surfing Hotmail, not tech sites.

We, on the other hand, will always treat this with disdain. After all, most of us would probably be classified as enthusiasts or hardcore. This initiative means nothing to me personally, but it's a good step forward for PC gaming. The problem, as in every other idea, is execution and delivery. And we've seen AMD fail on that too many times, even if their products are reasonably solid (and for a while, reigning champs in their respective fields).

I don't see how slapping gaming tags in machines is going to do any good - in light of how often a gamers changes his/her machine parts anyway. It seems to be the industry (NV-AMD-ATI) is interested in obsfucation, forced tiers, forced early EOL for platforms, tier pricing etc...

This way they can get people to buy into a fully structured "gaming tagged platform" instead of a clearly powerful and more highly usable single GPU/CPU/Chipset system. They want to force SLI/Crossfire and the complication- super expensive 3 PCIe slot motherboards etc.. that goes with it to the masses. All of this in light of no real compelling games for the PC, and a PC gaming market that's shrinking drastically

What we need more of are better single GPU's and better games and a better way to deliver those games to thwart piracy as to allow the PC gaming devs to warm up to PC gamers again. The more complicated these PC gaming systems get, the more the PC Devs have to take into account when programming for too many platforms and GPU's (triple-quad SLI and Crossfire).

Absolutely a bad idea. All AMD's going to do is draw huge fire from everyone down to the stuck-at-best-buy people when others inquire about it. Standardization sounds like a good idea, but it really isn't when it comes to PCs. It'll lead to more deceptive marketing towards new or inexperienced consumers, less innovation by the huge corporations that want to be able to just sit and make money, and more frustrated PC enthusiasts.

What needs to happen is an opening of standards to spur PC gaming. Console developers have almost all they need tossed into their lap for a meager investment, then licensing fees. PC developers have to fight like rabid dogs to get what they need from the various hardware manufacturers to write their engines.

AMD's just throwing money into a black hole...maybe they'll toss it into something useful down the road.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Guys if you look at the benefits,driver support im sure would be much better,an all amd,all intel or "all nvidia" system would insure compatibilty.

Poci, an 'all *brandname*' system allows for a standard (Unlike what I'm talking about in my previous post) that are completely incompatible with each other. We'd backtrack into the dos days of having software that had to have drivers with it. Remember back when the actual program took 2 floppy disks, but an extra 6 were included for printer drivers?

We'd end up with stuff not much better than consoles, if at all.

"AMD computer 2009 edition version 1"
    "Compatible only with AMD GAME! systems"
    "Windows really good edition home premium for intel systems"
    "Windows really good edition home basic for amd systems"
    "Windows..."

It'd just get really ugly and allow the coorperations to lock consumers into a brand name like windows locks in software users. It's taken linux about 17 years to get to where it can compete with windows on the average user's PC, we don't want to have to go through that cycle with hardware.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

No but im talking about having the ability to build it yourself as well.

And face it its bound to happen whether we like it or not,lets just hope our graphics dont get boiled down.I still think we can keep ahead.