Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: HTPC What Else Do I Need?

Can you upgrade to an HD dvr/set top box from comcast to cover your needs to record all HD from comcast ?

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    This stuff does get confusing.
    To say the least!

I just got my HTPC built last night, finally. I need to get some pics up soon.
    Will look forward to that, should be a cool log or whatever!!

It can be a daunting task to get set up and running, but very rewarding when it is done.
    I sure hope so.....the wife just saw what I've done to the equity line and with this thing the spending is still going!! And to add insult to injury I still have to buy Home Server for BluHaz reDux v2.0. Oh crap another question, could this be somehow hooked into the "network" that will be created wirelessly? To say show "home videos" that will be edited and stored on BHrDx v2?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Well guys I appreciate the input, but it looks like if the parts that are already on order "survive" this thing is going to be a "standard" PC. The wife didn't buy into the HTPC idea one bit and honestly I don't think I really have either. It seems I may have had too "high" of expectations for such a build.

Yep CMB, that may be the way we go.....

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Up and running, and pretty impressive. I still have lots of fine-tuning to do, with the remote, etc. And I havent set up the tuner yet, that is for tonite. The Blu-Ray and HD-DVD quality is simply superb, the HD-DVD quality actually is superior to my Toshiba stand-alone HD-DVD player.
    As soon as I get a receiver that will accept HDMI sound, I cant wait to hear the Lossless HD audio formats.
    I still need to get some pics up. Lazy, lazy.

Cool JC!! Looking forward to the pics!! Let me make a little suggestion....maybe do a separate thread like a worklog so more people may be inclined to look at it!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

jedihobbit , you should have np running home video and other media from your dedicated home server. I have read that MS Home Server is very easy to set up and afterwards maintain since you can access it from any computer on your network with the command console.I don't know what wireless lan you plan on using for your network . however I know if I was doing something on that order I would have a central Cantenna to be the central broadcast and receiver point for my network. I prefer Cat5 here myself. I've seen a few simple kits on Ebay for the Cantenna, you finish by getting a few parts at your local hardware store.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. I hemmed and hawed for ages over building an HTPC, now I couldn't be happier. I have most of our music converted to Mp3's and also have some Flac mixed in. The Blu Ray works awesome with my Toshibia HiDef.I even picked up a book so I could cover all the bases with Media Center for Vista.
    I found out for instance that Media Center in Vista Home Premium will not support Dual Core Cpu's, but Vista Ultimate will.
    And new streaming video sites check out www.hulu.com

Quote Originally Posted by howieh60 View Post
    I found out for instance that Media Center in Vista Home Premium will not support Dual Core Cpu's, but Vista Ultimate will.
    Mine uses both cores in VMC. Maybe they meant dual-cpus?

Running quad core on vista home premium media center.
    Not sure where you got the info from, unless as John says 2 cpus and not # of cores.

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

I got the Windows Vista Home Premium Media center, not Vista itself, just the Media Center portion would not support Dual core cpu's from a Microsoft Press book.The Title "Windows Vista Home Entertainment with Windows Media Center and Xbox 360" Authors S.E. Slack and Greg Slack.

Quote Originally Posted by howieh60 View Post
    I got the Windows Vista Home Premium Media center, not Vista itself, just the Media Center portion would not support Dual core cpu's from a Microsoft Press book.The Title "Windows Vista Home Entertainment with Windows Media Center and Xbox 360" Authors S.E. Slack and Greg Slack.
    Interesting, because I run Vista home premium, and I can tell you that in media center it uses both cores, and uses the heck out of them while playing a blu-ray or HD-DVD!
    I wonder if it is just that maybe Media center itself is not multi-threaded, but I run Arcsoft TMT as my Hi-def DVD player, and it uses both cores. In fact, they do not recommend single-cores.

Hauppauge have come up with this...
    Presumably you can get the recording into your pc through USB.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Guess 250 before shipping is worth it....

http://registration.hauppauge.com/we...product=hd_pvr

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Yeah, that is a device that is long overdue, and people have been waiting for something like that for a long time! Now at least there is a consumer level solution to get HD video onto a computer.
    On a side note, my HTPC has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. Still working out the bus. I wasnt real happy with the Intel G35 HDMI video. It just lacked the horsepower needed for Blu-Ray playback. There is no hardware acceleration with that chipset, so it all goes on the CPU. And I have an E6300, OC to 2.8, and I still got stutters. So I just said heck with it, since my audio system does not support audio over HDMI yet anyhow, and went with a new 9600GT from Palit, with HDMI out. I scored it for $139, and it was worth every penny! Incredible video performance, and still very quiet.
    I still need to get pics up, LOL

I still need to get pics up, LOL
    Yes you do!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11