Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HTPC What Else Do I Need?

I have some parts lying around and am considering convincing the wife we need a HTPC to replace the AVR we currently have. Can now hear ud's laughter...... (Will need suggestions as to why the HTPC is necessary to replace a fairly new hardly used LiteOn LVW-5115GHC+!). What I need to look at is what I need to finish the system and figure cost. The following “specs” shows what I have and what I know I need, I sure there is some hardware needed that I don’t have a clue about (TV Tuner and the like??)

Case: SilverStone SG01-B Evolution
    PSU: TBD Edit...How Big?
    Mobo: Abit NF-M2 nView
    CPU: AM2 4000+ Brisbane (NAA4G 0743GPPW)
    GPU: On Board 6150
    Sound: On Board
    Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (2 x 1024) or
    OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK Rev2 (2 x 1024)
    Optical Drive: TDB
    HDD: Hitachi 7K250, HDT22525DLA380, 250GB
    FDD: NONE
    HFS: Zalman CNPS8000-CU
    NB: Stock
    SB: Stock
    Case Cooling:
    Side (HDD Bay) > 1 x 80mm intake fan (2050rpm, 21dBA)
    Rear > 1 x 80mm exhaust fan (2050rpm, 21dBA)
    Top > 1 x 80mm TBD
    PSB > TBD
    Software: TBD

So bring on your suggestions as to if what I have will work and the most important part the “what do I need”.

This will be mated with the following components (currently have in place with the AVR).

1. Mitsubishi LT-46131
    2. Bose AV3-2-1 Media Center
    3. Explorer 3250HD digital box (from Comcast)

Also would I need to come up with a 5.25 “display” of some sort?
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 05-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: HTPC What Else Do I Need?

I'm in the same boat, we'll I have not bought the HDTV yet. Going to get it in July-August when we move into the new place.

I'm looking at one of the Blu-ray drives for PC. Only @ $150-$200. don't think I'm gonna mess with a TV tuner card since all the good cable channels are scrambled and you need the box to unscramble. (TWNYC Explorer) I'm supposed to get an Nvidia 9600 from Ryan from the NCAA contest probably switch my Opty 165 from my current rig into the HTPC and replace with a Core duo or Quad.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Look at dual HDD, this really helps on performance of recording shows (key to a good HTPC).

The OS/software on small HDD, second 250+ GB HDD for recording
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

Hay TI good to hear from ya again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trollby_IRON View Post
    Look at dual HDD, this really helps on performance of recording shows (key to a good HTPC).

The OS/software on small HDD, second 250+ GB HDD for recording
    Okay understand about a smallish HDD for OS/Software, but when you state second 250+ GB HDD are we talking the same one as I've shown or do you mean 2 x 250GB??
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 05-20-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    Hay TI good to hear from ya again!!

Okay understand about a smallish HDD for OS/Software, but when you state second 250+ GB HDD are we talking the same one as I've shown or do you mean 2 x 250GB??
    On my system I have a 80gb WD-caviar with the OS and all software and a 120gb WD-caviar that is formated and ONLY stores the record files.

I would recommend a 250+gb especially if you decide to do HD, any smaller and you will regret it pretty quick. (I delete records pretty often)
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

2 completely different hard drives. 1 for OS and 1 for recording. Whether you use the one listed as OS or for recording is up to you, just so that the HDD doing the recording is doing nothing but recording.

My HTPC is going together this weekend. I am running a Seagate 320 SATA II as the OS and programs drive, with a new WD 640 as the storage drives for bits and the like.
    I also have the Asus mATX Intel G35 board w/HDMI, my old E6300 going in there, it overclocks at stock voltage to 2.8. I have a LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive for movies. An Avermedia 780 combo PCIe HD tuner card, it will work in QAM under Vista Media Center. All this is going in a Zalman HD-160 plus case.
    I will post pics once it is up and running!

Running both those boards ...p5e-vm and AN-M2 nview.
    No problems with either.
    Edit..my mistake, you have the nf-m2 nview.

Are you planning on OTA HDTV ?
    Last edited by CMB; 05-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.

A 250 will get full pretty fast, look at a Samsung 500. <$100 from da Egg.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    A 250 will get full pretty fast, look at a Samsung 500. <$100 from da Egg.
    I'm sure it will however, to at least get the build "started" and pass the wife need to use as much "in house" as possible as she doesn't know about the case yet!! It is amazing how the price of things drop so fast (unless one really wants it that is! )

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Still need some more part suggestions……..stuff I know I need

1. OS
    2. TV Tuner? Not sure just “how much” I need on this. Right now running Comcast cable with an HD box
    3. PSU**
    4. Any IR stuff??
    5. Optical Drive…I assume at a minimum it will need to have BluRay read abilities?
    6. What else??

** This just got “solved” compliments of you know who! Just won one of these > Kingwin Absolute Power ABT-600CW and may replace the Enermax Liberty 500W in YsSMN with that going to the HTPC. Don’t think I need all of the blue LEDs lighting up a HTPC!

Also just had a thought……. do you think the 6150 GPU is enough or should I seriously consider something like Sapphire’s 34XX or 36XX series GPUs?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Ok, there is currently no way to get the HD from your Comcast box into your HTPC. Hauppauge is coming out with a usb unit with component inputs, but that is still a month or so away. You will be limited to the "free" channels, such as ABC, Fox, etc. None of the encrypted channels will be available to you. You will need a tuner that is "QAM capable" to get those "free" HD channels from your comcast cable. And you will run your cable directly from the wall to the tuner card, not from the cable box. (you can use a splitter so you can still hook up the cable box),
    I personally have the Avermedia 780 combo card, Hauppauge also has a couple of models. The Hauppauge will only work with it's own TV software, or a 3rd party program such as SageTV, BeyondTV, etc. There are also a few free programs out there, such as GBpvr which will work. The Avermedia will work with Vista Media Center, using special drivers.
    For OS, Vista premium is your best bet. I am not wild about having to switch, but it is the way HTPC's are going, and you will find more and more hardware will only work properly under Vista.

For an optical drive, I have the LG HD-DVD/Blu-drive combo drive. It can be had now for around $170, and it also a DVD burner. The version that burns Blu-Ray is another $100. But given the absurd price of Blu-Ray blanks, I see no need for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Ok, there is currently no way to get the HD from your Comcast box into your HTPC. Hauppauge is coming out with a usb unit with component inputs, but that is still a month or so away. You will be limited to the "free" channels, such as ABC, Fox, etc. None of the encrypted channels will be available to you. You will need a tuner that is "QAM capable" to get those "free" HD channels from your comcast cable. And you will run your cable directly from the wall to the tuner card, not from the cable box. (you can use a splitter so you can still hook up the cable box),
    I personally have the Avermedia 780 combo card, Hauppauge also has a couple of models. The Hauppauge will only work with it's own TV software, or a 3rd party program such as SageTV, BeyondTV, etc. There are also a few free programs out there, such as GBpvr which will work. The Avermedia will work with Vista Media Center, using special drivers.
    For OS, Vista premium is your best bet. I am not wild about having to switch, but it is the way HTPC's are going, and you will find more and more hardware will only work properly under Vista.
    There are no cards they have a co-ax input from a Comcast/Cox/TW/etc box?

J, PM me. I have a tuner I can let you have real reasonable and a good version of 2005 MCE OS for even better.

Ditto on the other from John on the Blu-Ray. I have the burner and find I have yet to use it. I suppose it's always there. Damn blanks are gonna have to come down some day! The software croaks, you can have some pretty expensive coasters, if ya know what I mean!.

As an aside? I really haven't been overly excited by Blu-Ray either. I've rented several movies and have yet to be as blown away as all the hype has lead me to believe I was going to be.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!