Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: HTPC What Else Do I Need?

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Ok, there is currently no way to get the HD from your Comcast box into your HTPC. Hauppauge is coming out with a usb unit with component inputs, but that is still a month or so away. You will be limited to the "free" channels, such as ABC, Fox, etc. None of the encrypted channels will be available to you. You will need a tuner that is "QAM capable" to get those "free" HD channels from your comcast cable. And you will run your cable directly from the wall to the tuner card, not from the cable box. (you can use a splitter so you can still hook up the cable box),
    I personally have the Avermedia 780 combo card, Hauppauge also has a couple of models. The Hauppauge will only work with it's own TV software, or a 3rd party program such as SageTV, BeyondTV, etc. There are also a few free programs out there, such as GBpvr which will work. The Avermedia will work with Vista Media Center, using special drivers.
    For OS, Vista premium is your best bet. I am not wild about having to switch, but it is the way HTPC's are going, and you will find more and more hardware will only work properly under Vista.
    There are no cards they have a co-ax input from a Comcast/Cox/TW/etc box?

Comcast Boxes have no live outputs/inputs (SATA, USB, Ehternet, etc.) for you to use. Trust me, I've tried every which way!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Comcast Boxes have no live outputs/inputs (SATA, USB, Ehternet, etc.) for you to use. Trust me, I've tried every which way!
    So if using the Explorer 3250HD digital box (from Comcast) I would have to use a splitter and would NOT have access to my HD signals?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Quote Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post
    There are no cards they have a co-ax input from a Comcast/Cox/TW/etc box?
    The problem is that the Comcast box is only putting standard def over the coax, it can only output HD through HDMI, or Component. And outside of professional video editing cards, like the Black Magic line, there is no consumer method of getting HD signals into a computer.
    There are 2 basic exceptions: Using a HD tuner card, which will get your local Over the air (OTA) channels, or the same free channels from cable,
    or get a Cablecard PC, which you have to buy as a complete computer, since the motherboard and bios are proprietary.

The problem is that the Comcast box is only putting standard def over the coax.....
    Pulled up the "owner's manual" for my box earlier and not only does it just do std def through the coax out it is also mono audio too.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

What you do where the cable coax comes out of the wall, you put a splitter there. You then run one coax to your cable box, and another to your tuner card. That way your comcast box still works as before, and your new HD tuner on your PC can tune in those un-encrypted QAM signals. You can still run your HDMI or component cables from your comcast box to your tv, and it will operate normally.

What you do where the cable coax comes out of the wall, you put a splitter there. You then run one coax to your cable box, and another to your tuner card. That way your comcast box still works as before, and your new HD tuner on your PC can tune in those un-encrypted QAM signals. You can still run your HDMI or component cables from your comcast box to your tv, and it will operate normally.
    But that would mean I might as well keep the DVR/AVR whatever as I wouldn't be able to "record" any of the shows in HD - defeating the purpose of the HTPC to begin with!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Yeah and I doubt they would lose that many DVR purchaces by sending HD out of the coax connection. I dont really see as much benefit for an HTPC now except for gaming on bigger TV and not having to burn movies to DVDs.

After talking with UB and listening to others the idea of an HTPC is starting to loose it luster! A tuner card is OTA only, I can't hookup to cable, it won't really replace the DVR I have, and it seems I shouldn't use some of the main components I already have - meaning more investment....... as I mentioned to UB it is almost like "why build it?"!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

No, the tuner card for HD is only HD. The other tuner cards are just fine for cable channels 1 - 125.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    No, the tuner card for HD is only HD. The other tuner cards are just fine for cable channels 1 - 125.

A bit confused here how many tuner cards in a system are we talking???

Okay lets back up and unscramble what little gray matter I have left.

The following is what I'd like the HTPC to do, so tell me how much is "pipe dreams".

1. Record TV programs for later viewing with the occasional "transmitted" movie from my cable provider (comcast). This would have to happen via input other than coax (s-video or composite?)?
    2. Prefer to have decent quality with #1.
    3. Replace the DVR (this is the primary "justification" for the unit).
    4. Copy movies from the Bose AV3-2-1 Media Center and supliment its non blue-ray abilities.

Oh and by the way what happens to all of these analog tuners when the mandated switch to digital transmission occurs?? Please excuse my meanderings as I'm totally lost as to what I thought a HTPC did.
    Last edited by jedihobbit; 05-23-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

Just take your time getting the right parts for your HTPC. I might have scrimped and saved for 7-8 months until I had everything I was finally satisfied with for my HTPC build. I am beginning to gather parts to build another one now.

Best of luck with your project!

why not just get a pc tv wirless sender and send the movie from your main pc
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT

Quote Originally Posted by wonkanoby View Post
    why not just get a pc tv wirless sender and send the movie from your main pc
    Ahhhhhhhh..... excuse (that the wife might buy ino) to build a 4th computer.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

This stuff does get confusing.
    1. Get a dual tuner card, the hybrid ones have one digital tuner, and one analog tuner. I use the Avermedia 780. The Hauppauge 1600/1800 is also very good.
    2. There are 2 ways to get HD programming into your computer. OTA, or from an antenna, and QAM, which comes over your cable line. Most digital tuner cards will do both of these, but not usually at the same time. Be advised that QAM will only get you the same channels you would get OTA, in other words ABC, Fox, etc. You will NOT get Discovery, ESPN, HBO, etc. Those are encrypted, and require a cable box to decrypt them.
    3. The only way around 2 above, is to get a cablecard PC. These tend to be expensive, and you have to buy a pre-made complete computer. Dell, HP, and Velocity Micro are 3 well-known names. You cannot install a cablecard tuner in a home-built pc, it requires a special bios chip on the motherboard to work. Yep, it sucks.
    4. Hauppauge is coming out with a USB box, which will accept component output from your cable box, and send it to your PC. It should be out any day, but it will be $250. And currently it will not work with media center, it uses it's own program, which like all the other "bundled" programs is pretty clunky. SageTV and Beyond are options here, and will most likely support this tuner shortly.

I just got my HTPC built last night, finally. I need to get some pics up soon. It plays HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, AVI/Divx files, pictures, etc over my HDTV. I still have to setup the tuner, but we are keeping our cablebox/pvr, simply because it is simple to use, and it records premium channels.
    It can be a daunting task to get set up and running, but very rewarding when it is done.