Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

Re: Computer system Contest

8 years in the USAF here, and I'd be moe than happy to keep the system safe at my place.......

Re: Memorial Day

What Ive done is a thread merge. Seems to me its all the same topic and you can clearly see Quakindude's eloquent post # 29 above. Followed by Brads.
    That is the mark for the beginning of Quakindude's Memorial Day contribution.[Thread]
    I wanted to include some of the comments In Slayerhawks thread...hence the merge. Ive left a marker so people can understand.

Another thing while online? That seems appropriate is to spend a few minutes at this place. The reading will give you another appreciation for "military guys" that Brad and Quakendude mentioned.

Like so

http://www.blackfive.net/
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-24-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Here’s something to keep in mind.

During your Memorial Day celebrations you might take time for a moment of silence in honor of our departed military members and veterans.

Veterans' burials nonstop at national cemeteries By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer
    Sat May 24, 3:05 PM ET

The cracking of rifle fire silenced the twittering blue jays, blackbirds and killdeer.

As members of the color guard lowered their rifles, the smell of bitter smoke drifted over the family and friends of former Army Sgt. Ellis Hale, a Vietnam War veteran who died of prostate cancer at age 59. Sniffles and gentle sobs accompanied a recording of taps.

Moments after the final note, Sherry Hale walked down a curved brick walkway past the saluting line of representatives of the country's past wars. Head bowed, she clutched to her chest the American flag that covered her husband's casket.

The scene at the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery is repeated nationwide more than 100 times a day. Military veterans are being buried at such a rapid rate that national cemeteries use heavy equipment to make room.

"We're still in growth mode right now," said Bill Tuerk, under secretary for memorial affairs at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. "We're in a very high demand time period and we're trying to respond to it."

An average of 1,800 veterans die each day, and 10 percent of them are buried in the country's 125 national cemeteries, which are expected to set a record with 107,000 interments, including dependents, this year. And more national cemeteries are being built.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by tucker; 05-24-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Indeed. ^^ hard numbers.

I also explained my thread merge screw up to Quakindude so I dont have to feel like I need to go to "moderator" hell.

Again? Some time here

http://www.blackfive.net/

Thanks for the link Jim. Soon as I saw his mention of Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart, my minds eye turned back to Tommy Fields, Bill Cleveland, Ray Frank and the others. I met Tommy at a youth baseball game, never knowing I would be assigned as his direct replacement just a few months later. I was in HHC 160th as an ALSE tech and after Somalia, I was pulled from the ALSE shop and put in Hooter Brothers. I never lived up to Tommy's reputation, but it wasn't from a lack of trying. He was just a much better/more mature man than I was during those years. I went on to spend the next 4.5 years in D-co 1/160th. But had to move on due to family issues. Either move on, or lose my family. So when crunch time came, it was a simple matter of moving on.

Nice. It should be a requirement

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4931214&page=1

Everyone wins.
    Vets get some help with stuff
    and law students become better lawyers.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-26-2008 at 02:44 PM.

People should have the idiots who run the VA on the whipping post, too. Quality of VA hospital care is shameful. Not even close to what our guys EARNED. I've seen it too many times.

My Uncle came back from 'Nam about 20 different kinds of screwed up. They
    would force him to go to the VA hospital for care. I'm pretty sure they killed
    him. I'm not looking forward to requiring their help.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerhawk View Post
    My Uncle came back from 'Nam about 20 different kinds of screwed up. They
    would force him to go to the VA hospital for care. I'm pretty sure they killed
    him. I'm not looking forward to requiring their help.
    God forbid I hope like hell you'll never need it!!!!!!!!!!

A little late, but I've been in the Air Force for 17 years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Christop54 View Post
    A little late, but I've been in the Air Force for 17 years and counting.
    My hat is of to you, sir, officer or enlisted, I don't care. You deserve this nation's deepest regard, respect, and thanks.

Who won?

I havent seen yet. Ill leave a note for Ryan and Wise so it will get posted here.
    I suppose well need to be careful tot to identify the "person" and rely on membername if it was indeed a member here.

^^The Wise One tells me that Friday will most likely be the announcement day

I hope I got better luck than I did with my Age of Conan pre-order.
    I wasn't sent my pre-order code, so I missed out on my in-game mount. Arg!!

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com