Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TV Tuner Cards & "New" Cable Box "Standard"

Okay according to this article at Yahoo Tech (http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200805...te/cable_boxes) the set top cable box may become a thing of the past.

As I'm a total NOOB on the HTPC front, trying to build one, and pissed off that the "standard" TV Tuner is not HD cable friendly already....how would the above affect current tuners?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: TV Tuner Cards & "New" Cable Box "Standard"

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but many current TV's and TV tuners are HD friendly for over the air signals. however, cable companies scramble their signals which confuse the TV's/Tuners. You need either the cable box from the cable company(for a monthly rental fee) or a cable card (for a monthly rental fee) to be able to unscramble their broadcast. The cable cards are currently just a one way signal and are fairly limited.

The link above talks about being able to put cable cards in TV's and for tuners that would allow the unscrambling cards to work in tv's and such.

Again, I don't know the above for sure, but that is my haphazard take on what is going on.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Many tuners offer QAM capability. My Hauppauge HVR-1800 as an example.

One of my disappointments because of the lack in prior knowledge is the fact the tuners (hasve a HVR-500 coming) HD is stricly OTA. I had thought I could hook up to my cable HD box through the tuner, and found out not so.

However was wondering if loosing the box would
    A. Help
    B. Hinder
    C. Have no effect

on the current (my HVR-500 specificly) tunersd.

May be talking through my hat due to ignorance.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

losing the box should limit your reception to basic cable or nothing at all.

connect the hd box to the pc tuner with coax. set the tuner to ota and chan 3. that doesnt work?
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

that card is strictly analog. it is going to be of little use once 2009 rolls around.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    that card is strictly analog. it is going to be of little use once 2009 rolls around.

ud
    Only for OTA. It will still work with cable.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Sorry to again show my ignorance, but it is my understanding that connecting to cable is analog only and isn't that also going to digital only in '09?

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Not all of them. See http://www.dtv.gov/ for answers to all of your Digital questions.

Not all of them. See http://www.dtv.gov/ for answers to all of your Digital questions.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

You might want to check with your local cable provider to see what they say about it. It's possible that they may be one of the few going digital, but from what I understand most won't be for a couple of years yet as they aren't required to until at least 2011.

Don

Digital TV broadcast is ATSC I believe (haven't clicked on the link to dtv yet). But yeh, look for 'HD Tuner' when buying a TV. Even if you bought an HDTV a year ago you probably do not have a digital tuner. For them to sell at a lower price manufacturers back then did not include the digital tuner, therefore you are unable to get over the air digital signal.

Brighthouse says that as a customer, you do not have to worry about getting a DTV converter as they automatically convert the image if you have standard analog cable.

i've been going on the assumption that cable companies would like to tighten the noose and not miss the opportunity to dump analog. i just found this: FCC: Dual Carriage Will Last Three Years / Backs Off From Martin’s Plan in Compromise Move

DUAL MUST-CARRY: The FCC Rules
    Under the FCC’s report and order, cable operators will be required from Feb. 18, 2009, to Feb. 17, 2012, to:
    Carry a local broadcaster’s digital signal in analog and digital formats; or,
    Carry the signal only in digital format, provided that all subscribers have the “necessary equipment” (digital set-top boxes) to view the broadcast content.
    Carry the high-definition signal of broadcasters in high-definition format.
    SOURCE: FCC

On TV-carriage, both the cable industry and FCC chairman Kevin Martin declared victory.

“Today, I think analog cable consumers were the big winner,” Martin said.

Martin’s stated goal was to protect millions of customers who used only analog TV sets to watch programs provided by their cable operators. The object was not to force them to lease digital set-top boxes in order to view local TV stations that rely on mandatory cable carriage rights, or must-carry, to get their programming to viewers. The FCC’s requirement takes effect when local stations are forced to broadcast all programming in digital form, starting at the end of Feb. 17, 2009.

Cable could claim victory because it forced Martin to dump a far more draconian digital-TV plan than the one adopted. Martin wanted perpetual dual carriage without the Feb. 17, 2012, sunset, which the FCC said it would reserve the right to extend.
    not knowing much more than hobbi on the subject and since i've been working on keeping my 32" sony analog functional. i figure he has a hdtv and he would want to make use of it. what i don't no if the quality would be there going from analog.

i see hobbi is visiting, care to clear that part up personally dude.

ud

The TV sig needs to stay digital if possible for the "boss", however she hasn't come off the $$ to buy into total "upper channels" and is currently renting a HD box. If any of this make sense let me know..........BTW looks like she has blow this project out of the water anyway! And the more I check into the HTPC arena, I'm realizing I'm expecting too much anyway, so if the parts survive it may be just another "standard" PC.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

you did get the parts through the door. another backup pc!

ud