Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Gentoo 1st try not going well [update - progressing nicely now]

Well d/l the live install cd, get to networking, and there is no /net folder?

ls /lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers

there is no net, network, nothing?
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-12-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Re: Gentoo 1st try not going well

Which network adapter that you're trying to use? Is it an Intel, Nvidia, 3Com, etc?

I had a quick look on two of my systems. One of them didn't have any net folder yet the other did, complete with a large list of modules.

Try using the following commands. They should list all network drivers available for every kernel you have (not just the current one). You may need to try another kernel until you get your system installed where you can create you own custom kernel (or use the Genkernel).
    Code:
    cd /lib/modules
    find -iname "*.ko"|grep drivers/net

Be warned, most people I've ever known who had success w/ a gentoo install have to compile it manually, the installer is bunk.

Hi jackal,
    If you are willing to spend a considerable amount of time on installing and willing to learn Linux at the same time then Gentoo is for you.
    But don't use the live installer.
    Use the command line installer.Unfortunately they are still beta at the moment.
    A very good substitute is rescuecd.http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
    It has net-setup to get you connected to the internet,Firefox to browse the excellent handbook and mc to browse files.It is based on Gentoo.
    If you get Gentoo installed and going you can say that you have a much better system than any other Linux distro.
    I joined jan 2004 and use Linux exclusively.
    Check the Gentoo forums they are better than any other Linux forum I know.
    Gerard.

1st, THANK YOU for your replies! As usual PCPER does not disappoint! I have, as some know, been a "casual" Linux user for about 4 years, FC 2,3,4/Cent 4.x/5, and Ubuntu Fiesty/Gutsy/Hardy, my desire is to become MUCH more intimate with Linux as a whole, and with what I've read Gentoo is the tool which will force me to do so, and will, as stated, be one bad a$$ stable, and fast O/S! .

I anticipate a steep curve, and many trials and opportunities.

I figured out on my own (the install docs. on gentoo.org leave a little "for you to figure out") hehe, that @ the Login screen to press ctrl-f1, saw I could run the installer, tried that...but apparently I wasn't doing something right, as it wouldn't partition my drive the way I wanted, so I ctrl-f2 and did it myself with fdisk, and mke2fs, mkswap, etc.....however, the installer then couldn't mount, so again back to my other session and did it myself.....that's when I got to the next step of networking and ran into my current situation.

Spankin, it is the integrated Nvidia, on an Nforce2 Ultra (MSI K7N2 Delta L, to be exact) and the result of that command is:

nothing, just drops down to another livecd root#

pietjepuck, net-setup appears to work, i.e. net-setup eth0, steps me through entering ip address, broadcast, mask, gateway, etc.....but afterward:

eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

I also tried manually, although I figured it wouldn't work, as it appears there is no driver module loaded, ifconfig eth0 ip address x.x.x.x, blah, blah.....and it, of course, did not work.

I d/l the livedvd from a different mirror, perhaps the livecd I have is bunk, I'm also getting Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block xxxxxx, over and over in sets of two.

Thanks again for the support! .
    Last edited by Jackal; 05-31-2008 at 10:31 AM.

hmmmm....now 2 different livecd's, and one livedvd with the same results

First, don't give up. I have eight computers running Gentoo. Right now is probably not the best time to get into the Distro, however. 2008.0 is still in beta and 2007.0 is broken in a lot of areas. If you're attempting 2007.0, you will have a lot of headaches getting a running system going.

As others have said, don't do the live CD, stay with the command line installer.

'net-setup' should list any recognized nics and should configure via DHCP. If you have a Attansic / Atheros chipset, it won't be recognized. Support for newer Realtek gigabit nics is also spotty.

Folding in memory of Joan Marie 10/16/1959 - 02/21/1968
    Requiescant in pacem

Hi Joey, thanks for the advice, I don't understand what "don't use the livecd" means....what else is there?

I'm not about to give up!!! I won't, I won't do it!

I'm trying the 2008.0 beta 2-r1. I see that the mirror have this:

livecd-i686-installer-2008.0_beta2-r1.iso 30-Apr-2008 19:46 671M

and

livecd-i686-installer-2008.0_beta2.iso 24-Apr-2008 19:12 838M

noticing the size difference, I don't know that 838 will fit on a CD.

LOL, I also borked up my Ubuntu on that box, anyone know of the easy fix?

What I had was Primary Master = /dev/hda = Windows 2K (which I blew away for Gentoo, however, this is where the GRUB install from /dev/hdb was with Ubuntu)
    Primary Slave = /dev/hdb = Ubuntu

So now I can't boot into Ubuntu since I blew away GRUB on HDA.

TYIA!

Well, some success was made while the forums were down, I have a working run level 3 gentoo system. I cannot get a graphical interface however.

I'm sure there are compile options I missing, or whatever, I'm getting:

Failed to load modules nv, fbdev, vesa, vga (module does not exist, 0) when trying to run xorgcfg.

emerge nvidia-driver gives me:

many of the same type lines, but here is one relevant I think.

-x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.05 (masked by: missing keyword)

I've tried:

echo "-x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.05 ~* *" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
    (however /etc/portage/package.keywords does not exist) - so I replaced it with /usr/portage/package.keywords like this:

echo "-x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.05 ~* *" >> /usr/portage/package.keywords

which returns me to a # prompt - but emerge nvidia-drivers gives the same error.

I tried following this as closely as I could (above mentioned path differences for example):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

well, I've monkied around and have X working now, trying to install gnome and getting a boatload of circular dependancies

WOW, this is a MONUMENTAL learning curve!!!

A HUGE sticky for this process would be great

I've used Gentoo before to make experienced tech support buddies cry. Its the ultimate reward for someone who loves frustration.

CPU-Z My Heat
    Request Granted. Safe Passage Guaranteed via JimZ

Gentoo is best used for purpose build setups, not really for casual use.

Its also more BSD based then the typical linux distro so you can get a better feel for the Unix based enviroments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Hi Joey, thanks for the advice, I don't understand what "don't use the livecd" means....what else is there?

I'm not about to give up!!! I won't, I won't do it!

I'm trying the 2008.0 beta 2-r1. I see that the mirror have this:

livecd-i686-installer-2008.0_beta2-r1.iso 30-Apr-2008 19:46 671M

and

livecd-i686-installer-2008.0_beta2.iso 24-Apr-2008 19:12 838M

noticing the size difference, I don't know that 838 will fit on a CD.
    The solution for this particular problem was to use the "minimal install" iso., it had everything "my" system needed to get up to runlevel 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Well, some success was made while the forums were down, I have a working run level 3 gentoo system. I cannot get a graphical interface however.

I'm sure there are compile options I missing, or whatever, I'm getting:

Failed to load modules nv, fbdev, vesa, vga (module does not exist, 0) when trying to run xorgcfg.

emerge nvidia-driver gives me:

many of the same type lines, but here is one relevant I think.

-x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.05 (masked by: missing keyword)

I've tried:

echo "-x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.05 ~* *" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
    (however /etc/portage/package.keywords does not exist) - so I replaced it with /usr/portage/package.keywords like this:

echo "-x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.05 ~* *" >> /usr/portage/package.keywords

which returns me to a # prompt - but emerge nvidia-drivers gives the same error.

I tried following this as closely as I could (above mentioned path differences for example):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
    I "think" the biggest problem here, was the path for my profile was wrong, once corrected, and discovering that emerge "package" |more works and I could read everything - adding the proper mask, emerge nvidia-drivers went fine, then just tweaked xorg.conf, which I'm used to having to do that anyway.
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-02-2008 at 10:29 AM.