Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Gentoo 1st try not going well

I've always used the minimal install CDs. I'm always in a hurry to start the process so I can't wait for the large downloads!

Also are you still using a beta version? Normally I would never use a beta version of any OS if I'm wanting to use it in a production environment, or if I need to learn a lot about that distro/OS. It just adds extra issues that you don't need.

And here's a tip, using |more is nice, but you loose the colour formating. So I like to use the [shift]+[PgUp] buttons to scroll backwards, allowing me to read long lists. Its not perfect, but its very handy.

hi Spankin,

Yes, it's 2008. beta2. Probably not the best idea, but, now that I'm this far into it......

Does that key combination work in runlevel 3? Any idea's on my Circular Dependancy issue....All I can seem to find is either "it might be a bug", or "just change your USE flags", I can buy the USE flag option - however, since I really don't have a clue yet, which ones I should "USE" (pun intended), I have no idea which ones might cause a problem.

First major issue that can be causing this would be your date/time settings. Odd but true. I ran into major issues trying to get things to compile and install due to my date/time. Make sure you have it configured for your timezone, then set the time and date. Once that is fixed, run a emerge --sync

Now try and reinstall the software. If that doesn't fix it, running another emerge world

If you still have issues, its time to get serious.

emerge -DuN world

Note: on the last two commands you can also run using the -p option as well just to see what it'll do before you run the command again without -p. I usually like to see what its going to do before I let it do it. Also the Gentoo team recommends runing emerge -DuN world after doing an emerge --sync or changing your USE settings found in the /etc/make.conf file.

Then if this still fails to work. There is one other command we can try. That is:

revdep-rebuild -X

That last command is not installed by default. I don't know why since I've found it very useful a couple of times. It get installed using gentoolkit. So to install that you'll need to run:

emerge gentoolkit

Now there is one thing to keep in mind with revdep-rebuild command. You may have to run it a few times to get everything fixed.

BTW, these circular dependencies you're getting, are they actually packages that are blocking other packages? I have never seen an actual circular dependency issue with Gentoo. If this is the case, let us know which package is blocking which package. Then I may be able to help you choose which one you would need to uninstall to proceed. I've had some packages that I've had to uninstall and then reinstall it after updating/installing other packages.

emerge --sync didn't help, I've never run emerge world, on trial it said something like sys-apps/mktemp was blocking -- so I emerge --unmerged it. and world is compiling now. After emerg --sync, there was one file in /etc that needs....I think "manual merge" it is an nvidia file, at the end of emerge world it now says there are 8 more....I have no idea how to manually do it, and google isn't much help.
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-02-2008 at 11:47 PM.

well the frustration level is mounting.....grub will not display as readable, AFTER the nvidia driver loads - the screen becomes readable.

after running emerge world, I'm still getting approximately 6 pages of circular dependencies for emerge gnome.

Well, probably not the thing to do, but I just removed the USE= line from make.conf - and gnome is now emerging , I only put in there what the install doc said to do in the 1st place, seeing as I have no clue what all thousands of combos I should put
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-03-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Basically what that is saying is that a configuration file was already found on your system so rather then replacing it with the new one and possibly wiping out your configuration settings, it changed the name of the new configuration file by adding ._cfg0000_ to the beginning of its name. You'll notice that the name begins with a period so the file is normally hidden. So to view hidden files you'll have to use the all switch with ls:

ls -a

But going through all the subdirectories within the /etc directory would be a pain. So an easy way to find all of these configuration files that need attention would be to first change into the /etc directory and then run this command:

find -iname "._*"

I know the Gentoo team recommends using find -iname "._cfg????_*", but I find this works just as well while being much easier to type.

Then what I used to do was open the existing configuration file in one terminal (using vim or nano) and open the new configuration file in a different terminal. I would then flip back and forth looking for changes. I found I was able to learn about these different configuration files this way as I was able to read all the notes attached to them as I went along. But now a days, I normally use the diff command to find the difference between the files. Change into the directory where the new and old configuration files are located and try this:

diff config_file_name ._cfg0000_config_file_name

You'll be presented with changes with in these two files along with the line numbers where each of the changes begin. You'll also notice that lines that begin with < are lines that are missing/being replaced by lines in the new configuration file. While lines that begin with > are new lines being added/replacing lines in the old config.

Generally speaking, if the configuration file doesn't look familiar to you, then chances are you're using the default settings and its ok to replace it with the new config file. For normally everything in the /etc file gets set by hand. Unlike Ubuntu, CentOS, or most other distros, Gentoo normally avoids using software to configure these files. This is one of the things that gives you great power. For if you learn these config files, you'll be able to get your self out of a jam no matter which distro you are running.

When ever I make a new Gentoo system, I always install this little script that I made:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -e $1 ]
    then
    	if [ -e ._cfg0000_$1 ]
    	then
    		if [ -e .$1.old ]
    		then
    			rm .$1.old
    		fi
    		if [ -e $1.old ]
    		then
    			rm $1.old
    		fi
    		rename $1 .$1.old $1
    		rename ._cfg0000_$1 $1 ._cfg0000_$1
    	else
    		echo "._cfg0000_$1 was not found.  UPDATE ABORTED!"
    	fi
    else
    	echo "$1 was not found.  UPDATE ABORTED!"
    fi
    I end up saving this script as upd and I put it in my /sbin directory. Then I chmod 750 upd it to set the proper permissions.

With this script available, I end up updating my system by following these steps:

1. Find all the new config files using the find command.
    2. Check for differences between the two files using the diff command.
    3. Update the new ._cfg000 file as required.
    4. Back up the existing config file and make the new ._cfg0000 file current by running my upd script. Use it like this:

upd name_of_config_file

I hope this clarifies things a bit. It may seem like a lot of work right now, but trust me, you'll get quick at it soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    emerge --sync didn't help, I've never run emerge world, on trial it said something like sys-apps/mktemp was blocking -- so I emerge --unmerged it. and world is compiling now. After emerg --sync, there was one file in /etc that needs....I think "manual merge" it is an nvidia file, at the end of emerge world it now says there are 8 more....I have no idea how to manually do it, and google isn't much help.
    You should just watch what you unmerge as you can end up killing things. I ran into a dangerous situation where two applications were blocking each other. And if I deleted the wrong one the entire system would have died. Its always a good thing to do a quick http://google.com/linux search for "application1 is blocking application2" before proceeding. It can save you from having to boot up the minimal CD and doing a chroot to repair your system.

well the frustration level is mounting.....grub will not display as readable, AFTER the nvidia driver loads - the screen becomes readable.
    Just a guess here, but does it help any if you remove the "splashimage" line from your /boot/grub/grub.conf file? Or are you sending any command like this to the kernel: "video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85" in your grub.conf? If so try removing that too.

I was battling this same issue with an installation of Mandrake a few years ago. I could never figure out what was going on. But then again that was my pre-Gentoo days!

after running emerge world, I'm still getting approximately 6 pages of circular dependencies for emerge gnome.

Well, probably not the thing to do, but I just removed the USE= line from make.conf - and gnome is now emerging , I only put in there what the install doc said to do in the 1st place, seeing as I have no clue what all thousands of combos I should put
    Post your USE= line so we can have a look at it.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 06-03-2008 at 01:49 AM.

hmmm...well it was:

USE="-gtk -gnome qt3 qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr"

from the Gentoo handbook, I then changed it to

USE="-qt3 -qt4 -kde dvd alsa cdr -arts X dbus gtk gnome hal avahi"

Which is where I was getting the 200+ circular dependancies, so in frustration, I just pulled the whole thing out.....which is when gnome emerged, although....it still doesn't work so far I've had to:

put it back to

USE="X dbus gtk gnome hal avahi" - this is the current setting
    re-emerge cairo
    emerge avahi
    emerge gnome-session (in progress, may not get done before I leave for work).

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Just a guess here, but does it help any if you remove the "splashimage" line from your /boot/grub/grub.conf file? Or are you sending any command like this to the kernel: "video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85" in your grub.conf? If so try removing that too.
    no, and sort of:

removing the splashimage line made no difference, and the only thing I passed was vga=03x318, I tried several different settings from the chart, all with the same result, I have not tried adding "video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85"

I also notice on my Cent box, I have an additional "hiddenmenu"

another annoyance, on every reboot, I have to edit /etc/resolv.conf, as it is not retaining my DNS settings.

One thing is for sure, I would NOT recommend Gentoo for ANY noob, nor for an intermediate with low patience......I place myself into the "general pc tech skills - Extremely High - Linux skills - beginner (one step above noob), patience level - moderate", and this is VERY tough.

Without your help, I'd probably have given up, so Thanks!!! BTW, the "tip" of shift-->pgup works like a charm .
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-03-2008 at 07:06 AM.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gnome is up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course there aren't any apps. on it yet, . Not even a shell back to google.

Sweet. Terminal installed, .....note to self:

"Settle Down Jackal, there is still a TON of work to get done b4 you have a "working server", and remember...."you're still a (Linux) Sh@t sandwich, you MAY just not be a soggy one anymore!"
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-03-2008 at 08:13 AM.

no, and sort of:

removing the splashimage line made no difference, and the only thing I passed was vga=03x318, I tried several different settings from the chart, all with the same result, I have not tried adding "video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85"

I also notice on my Cent box, I have an additional "hiddenmenu"
    Ok, try removing the vga=03x318. It is not required if you are going to be using X. Also, that video=.... line was just a sample. I honestly don't know it it'll fix anything or not.

another annoyance, on every reboot, I have to edit /etc/resolv.conf, as it is not retaining my DNS settings.
    Are you trying to set this box up with a static IP? If so, you'll have to edit 2 files. The /etc/resolv.conf should have the IP addresses of your ISP's DNS, and your router's IP address (as backup in case your ISP changes things). And also you'll need to edit your /etc/conf.d/net file. Here is my configuration to set the server as 192.168.1.2:
    Code:
    config_eth0=( "192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.1.255" )
    routes_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.1.1" )
    One thing is for sure, I would NOT recommend Gentoo for ANY noob, nor for an intermediate with low patience......I place myself into the "general pc tech skills - Extremely High - Linux skills - beginner (one step above noob), patience level - moderate", and this is VERY tough.
    Did I ever mention that it took me about a week to get my first two Gentoo boxes up and running? Oh, and that was just to get to runlevel 3 up and running along with SAMBA... none of this X stuff.

hmmm...well it was:

USE="-gtk -gnome qt3 qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr"

from the Gentoo handbook, I then changed it to

USE="-qt3 -qt4 -kde dvd alsa cdr -arts X dbus gtk gnome hal avahi"

Which is where I was getting the 200+ circular dependancies, so in frustration, I just pulled the whole thing out.....which is when gnome emerged, although....it still doesn't work so far I've had to:

put it back to

USE="X dbus gtk gnome hal avahi" - this is the current setting
    re-emerge cairo
    emerge avahi
    emerge gnome-session (in progress, may not get done before I leave for work).
    After changing your USE line, it probably would be a good idea to run:

emerge -DuN world

As this would recompile everything based on the new USE options. This may be an issue if you've been altering it.

I'll have to have a closer look at the options you choose later tonight. As I'm late for work now.