Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Gentoo 1st try not going well

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    my desire is to become MUCH more intimate with Linux as a whole, and with what I've read Gentoo is the tool which will force me to do so, and will, as stated, be one bad a$$ stable, and fast O/S! .
    obviously, this is just my humble opinion, but gentoo seems like too much work for the payoff. what is the payoff anyway? i guess people will say that you can tweak gentoo and add only what you want. if that's the case, the same could be said about debian, or even ubuntu. i can take either one of those and do a minimal install with no gui, and put on exactly what i want. how i want. im left with a lean, mean computing machine. how does waiting for things to compile in gentoo make the computing experience better? if there ever was a hobbyist (or tinkerers) OS, it would seem gentoo is it. that's cool if you like spending hours fixing and tweaking, but i would rather be using my pc for things i like to do. i have heard many horror stories about "update world" screwing everything up. no thanks. gentoo isnt going to earn me any money. my customers want ease of use and highly reliable.

like i said, if you enjoy it, go for it. that's what makes choice a great thing.
    Ubuntu User #15003
    Linux User #448521

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4ghz/8GB DDR3/NvidiaGT430/Ubuntu 11.10

Re: Gentoo 1st try not going well [update - progressing better]

well, I can't say that I'm experienced enough with other distro's, but so far, it appears as though EVERYTHING is customizable w/in Gentoo, when you select GNOME - that's ALL you get, not GNOME plus 30 Apps. someone else decided to include. You compile every option an application can have, for lack of a specific example - most apps. that support ssh have it "built in" for the other distro's, when you merge it, if you don't want ssh support, compile with out it.

And as far as a base system goes, so far, on older hardware (xp barton 2500), my gentoo install boots up/down markedly faster than my (X2 4800) Cent Box, I'll know more as it get further along.

Me, I like Gentoo for several different reasons. But the biggest aspect is its hands on approach to everything. I like doing things manually since there is never any surprises. Like I said half jokingly in another post, I actually have a an issue with GUI configuration systems. I can't search a GUI to find a particular setting. Also there usually isn't a decent help with most applications when it comes to fine tuning them. Where as the Gentoo crew insures all the configuration files come with decent explanations right in each file.

Then there are those who are speed freaks. They like Gentoo since you can compile everything for your particular CPU, not just your CPU class. I never really got too deep into this. But it was available.

Jackel is right about the speed. When I built my desktop on a Sep 3000+, I timed it at about 16 sec. from the end of the POST screen, to KDE fully up and running. That included me typing my user name and password, and waiting until KDE has fully loaded. Its not as fast anymore, but now I use DHCP (adds about 3-5 sec), and also added many new applications that start up automatically.

One of the other reasons I really liked Gentoo, is how you can learn how an OS installer works. Short of trying Linux From Scratch, I think Gentoo would be a close second. Obviously this isn't something may people want or needs to know. But for me its something I wanted to learn.

Oh, and another neat thing about Gentoo. You don't need to download a Gentoo CD to install it. You can use practically any live CD to do the installation. Just so long as you have some of the basic Linux tools, you should be able to do the installation.

But like you said, its all in what you're looking for. I've done 3 servers using Gentoo since I wanted full control over things. And I've also made one desktop just because I was board. My laptop on the other hand, is running Ubuntu. I didn't want to waste time getting it going. And I also wanted something where I can keep it up to date without running it all night long (not good on the batteries).

Choice is good.

I'm a Gentoo user mainly because I was I *BSD user first. I've grown so accustomed to it, I have trouble with the "Easier" distros. (Although I do have on Debian and one Xubuntu box.) I don't consider myself a "Gentoo Snob" or "Ricer," just somebody who prefers the distro. My system is truly a "Kitbash": xfce4, exaile, slim, evince, xfburn, vlc, ristretto, gtkam, gimp, xsane, pidgin.

Anyway, Jackal, here's my /etc/conf.d/net:
    modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
    wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"

dns_domain_lo="Ozzie"
    dns_servers_lo="10.191.135.6 24.93.41.125 24.93.41.126 24.93.41.127 24.93.41.128"
    #dns_domain_eth1="Ozzie"
    #dns_servers_eth1="10.191.135.6 24.93.41.125 24.93.41.126 24.93.41.127 24.93.41.128"
    #config_eth1=( "10.191.135.3/24 brd 10.191.135.255" )
    #routes_eth1=( "default via 10.191.135.1" )

dns_domain_ath0="Ozzie"
    dns_servers_ath0="10.191.135.6 24.93.41.125 24.93.41.126 24.93.41.127 24.93.41.128"
    config_ath0=( "10.191.135.9/24 brd 10.191.135.255" )
    routes_ath0=( "default via 10.191.135.1" )

And my /etc/resolv.conf:
    # Generated by net-scripts for interface ath0
    domain Ozzie
    nameserver 10.191.135.6
    nameserver 24.93.41.125
    nameserver 24.93.41.126
    nameserver 24.93.41.127
    nameserver 24.93.41.128

Folding in memory of Joan Marie 10/16/1959 - 02/21/1968
    Requiescant in pacem

Quote Originally Posted by joeyg View Post
    I have trouble with the "Easier" distros.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I've ran into issues trying to adjust things in Debian and then finding out it's not the 'Debian way'. "Oh you mean to say there was a command line application I was suppost to use to edit that config file? Don't touch it by hand?" <-- Common issue I ran into.

I found Ubuntu to be simular. But at least Ubuntu tends to get things right the first time around, and hence I don't have to mess with it nearly as often.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 06-03-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Greetings from firefox 2.0.0.14 on my new gentoo box

ns1 ~ # uname -a
    Linux ns1 2.6.24-gentoo-r8 #2 SMP Sat May 31 19:46:38 CDT 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Yippie! And BTW FF loads about 200% faster than on any other box/distro, that "I" have used. Now I have to go to the gym, pick up meds. (root canal today YUK!), come home, fix dinner, shower, and begin repairing my issues, and overnight compile some apps.

Stoopid noob question, I can emerge in multiple terminals w/out fear of hosing eachother up correct? I.E. emerge thunderturd in one, and emerge bind in another at the same time?
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-03-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Stoopid noob question, I can emerge in multiple terminals w/out fear of hosing eachother up correct? I.E. emerge thunderturd in one, and emerge bind in another at the same time?

I wouldn't. Chances are they wouldn't hose each other, but the dependencies are detmined at the time you emerge, so you could possible emerge a dependency more than once.

Folding in memory of Joan Marie 10/16/1959 - 02/21/1968
    Requiescant in pacem

that makes sense.....I think, my noob humble opinion anyway, it appears as though putting package specific USE Flags in /etc/portage/package.use, as opposed to system wide with /etc/make.conf seems like a better idea?
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-04-2008 at 11:48 AM.

They are not suppose to interfere with each other. But like Joey says, I wouldn't. Instead, just list out all the applications that you want to install and emerge will sort out which order they should be installed.

Here's how I'd install those two:

emerge mozilla-thunderbird bind

Tip for the day: Seeing as I didn't know what they called thunderbird in portage, I had to do a search to find the proper name. It was easy using either the -s (search titles only) or the -S (search titles and descriptions):

emerge -s thunderbird

And that listed out all the packages that have thunderbird in their title's.

And BTW FF loads about 200% faster than on any other box/distro, that "I" have used.
    I remember being surprised by that too! I can't wait to try FF3 out as it should be faster yet.

I was running Debian when I made the switch from FF1 to FF2. I was so disappointed in how slow that was. That was when I upgraded my CPU from a XP1800+ to the Seperon 3000+. I also switched it to Gentoo at that time to.

Hmmm...well I can probably consider this particular thread closed, since I've got a desktop.

Issues remaining - GRUB (no menu, and video is messed up until kernel loads nvidia driver.)
    Won't boot up to login screen with gnome as default - fails, I have to login, then startx. - FIXED per Spankin's resolution.
    Manually merge 9 files.
    Figure out what to do with the USE Flags.
    Install a TON of software.

Add-On for Grub, get the menu working, then get dual boot with Ubuntu working - although if all goes well here, I'll probably dump it, and just run Gentoo . - That will give me a 160G /dev/hda, and a 320G /dev/hdb.....what to do with almost half a tb of storage? Anyone know a good place to d/l mp3's? (I haven't done that since Napster was totally legal, and virus free, like 15 years ago I think, LOL!)
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-05-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Did you try to emerge gdm (Gnome Display Manager) yet? That's required to get the graphical login screen. Then there is a configuration file that you'll have to edit to say that you want GDM to start when you start X. After that, add GDM XDM to your default run level.

I'll have a quick check when I get home for all the details. I can't access anything from here at the moment.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 06-05-2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Should have typed XDM not GDM

Ok, I found the configuration file. It's /etc/conf.d/xdm If you read it, you'll see what you'll need to alter to get GDM to appear.

Then try adding xdm to the default runlevel (if you haven't already) using:

rc-update add xdm default

And if you are using startx right now, try using [b]gdm[b] instead. I find it works better since you do not need superuser privileges. Also, if X ever hangs up on you, but you still have working terminals, try gdm-stop or gdm-restart

Thanks again Spankin! I followed this to the letter:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml

hmmm....and look your advice (which fixed it btw !) of "emerge gdm" is not mentioned in there anywhere.

Do I have this "guess work" to figure out on a large portion of applications that I want to install?
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-05-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Hmmm....interesting, I think "part" of my Grub problems are that /boot/grub/ does NOT contain a file called splash.xpm.gz - actually an updatedb --> locate splash*.xpm.gz -- comes up empty as well, also while booting up - two things fail, I think ('cause I can't make out the screen yet), that they are vesa, and vga, how do I get rid of that, there's no entries in xorg.conf for them?
    Last edited by Jackal; 06-05-2008 at 01:30 PM.