Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Working retail.....

Amazing.I think I now know why I have a grey hair growing on my temple.

Imagine this:

Customer:"I want a laptop with 2 ghz cpu speed and 4 gb of memory"
    me:"but this one with C2D@1.8ghz is a bit faster then that turion @2ghz,nowadays they use a rating system for performance"

Customer pretty much gets pissed and sends me off.

I then have my colleague come up to me and ask me what that ladys problem was cause she told him he was an idiot and she cant find anyone knowledgeable.
    When he told me that I couldnt stop laughing. Cause I was trying to warn him about her too earlier lol.

Re: Working retail.....

There's just no helping some people, especially the one's that know better
    than you.
    You can only do so much to keep folks from screwing themselves... after that,
    it's all on them.

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

I just end up taking it as a joke and moving along.

I seen a lotta people quit in less then 2 weeks in my department.
    No working eithics to do that if ya ask me. Work is work,sometimes you have to put up with that kind of stuff. Its sure beats breaking your back in construction,and in a way has its advantages when compared to fixing rigs for example.Heh dunno what drives you crazier,dealing with people or BSODs sometimes

I dunno, I thought a lady with glasses at this retail store was cute, she helped me with buying something.

I knew exactly what I wanted to buy and they had it in the store so it was a smooth deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    I just end up taking it as a joke and moving along.

I seen a lotta people quit in less then 2 weeks in my department.
    No working eithics to do that if ya ask me. Work is work,sometimes you have to put up with that kind of stuff. Its sure beats breaking your back in construction,and in a way has its advantages when compared to fixing rigs for example.Heh dunno what drives you crazier,dealing with people or BSODs sometimes
    i dunno, 9 bucks an hour retail minus the cost of benefits, versus 36 an hour PLUS your benefits paid FOR you, i dunno it's a tough call

i've done both and retail was more laid back, but it was no career. not to mention there's all those dumb customers
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Retail should be a REAL motivating job.
    I mean, how can you not start to realize how good you've got it when you
    deal with SO many stupid people every day?

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com

Working retail is only depressing. It makes you realise that most people are successful by being in the right place at the right time. If their employers only knew how stupid they were. I personally don't think I deserve to live check to check, and have to beg people to help me to survive. But that's life.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

The customer service woman said "Hello, can I help you?" so I said "Hello, i'm interested in (a product), then she asked me to walk across to the area where they are, before she spoke, I asked if they had it in stock, she didn't tell me to buy something else or anything like that and I asked if it was in stock and that I would buy it if they did. I didn't pisss her off or anything with discounts or price matches, lol. No such thing for the store I went to although I was satisfied buying there.

The only thing in retail worse than being a "salesperson" is first line management. The sales droid just has customers and management on their back, but first level or store management has customers, their staff and upper level management to please. It's a guaranteed "no win' situation.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

i bought a computer at best buy, and when i got home and hooked everything up it wouldnt turn on

i took it apart and moved the wires around and it turned on then turned back off again

checked ALL of the connectors, then i tried turning it on, and it worked, but every once in a while it would start to go very slow and crash

took it back, and those geek squad people looked at it, and the same problem happened to them, one of the employees, who actually seemed fairly knowledgeable, said it sounded like a bad mobo, and went to get the manager of the geek squad department to get us a new computer, the manager was a COMPLETE and asked to reproduce the problem, and it wouldnt work, when it turned on, it was going VERY slow (think about a p1 at 64mhz trying to run xp) and he was like oh well its just a software problem, and they reformatted the computer

we raised a bunch of hell at him and finally got him to replace the computer, except that they were out of the same model we had, and they tried to get us to take some AMD gateway, he said that the single core AMD was just as good and fast as the c2d

anyways, they had to drive 50 miles to get me a new computer

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

I went to buy an ACER notebook at Walmart a while back. Online realtime inventory for the store said they had 2 in stock. I get there, and the guy says"we don't stock that model."I said that inventory showed 2".At first he didn't want to check, but when I said "I'll ask a manager", he went to the stock room ,and appeared a bit later with the laptop in hand. Sometimes a little prompting yields results. It's a nice laptop for the price, and worth the little extra to get it that day. I gotta say Acer laptops are designed with repairability in mind. Just about everything is accessable from the bottom. I did boost the ram to 4gbs when the egg had a weekend special. When I turned it on, the Wi card found a signal nearby. FREE INTERNET
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Oh man, I just go to the store when the customer service person just gives me what I want and doesn't tell me what to get, very annoying when they turn into a salesman and forget the customer service part, I just want them to give me what I want and forget the crap about getting something better or more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1946 View Post
    The only thing in retail worse than being a "salesperson" is first line management. The sales droid just has customers and management on their back, but first level or store management has customers, their staff and upper level management to please. It's a guaranteed "no win' situation.
    Finally someone that really knows whats goin on.

But take my word me im not a droid

Let me tell you this,where I work its non commisioned,just salary.Im one of their top salesman,not only cause dealing with hardware is also my hobby,but hey Im pretty good at running my mouth about it and how to "attach" things.
    In any case what we do offer does benefit the customer,you know how many people I get that dont know how to install an AV so I have to sell them services to have it done in the store?I sure do it and its my job.
    In any case I didnt get a promotion I wanted,due to my rebel nature,they gave it to some 19 year old,because and I qoute the words of the manager that made this decision "when I talk to so and so,his response is yes yes and yes,you (refering to me good ol Poci) on the other hand say but,if or why"

Now normally you would say well hes right you gotta listen to what your boss tells you.But ya know what I agree with that,and I do that with every other boss I have (yeah we got like 10),except with this guy.
    He makes some rules that sometimes make me ask myself is this a friggen gulag or concentration camp???
    In the end I now simply say yes and alright whenever this guy says something from now on,I dont want to miss another opurtunity for promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride View Post
    i bought a computer at best buy, and when i got home and hooked everything up it wouldnt turn on

i took it apart and moved the wires around and it turned on then turned back off again

checked ALL of the connectors, then i tried turning it on, and it worked, but every once in a while it would start to go very slow and crash

took it back, and those geek squad people looked at it, and the same problem happened to them, one of the employees, who actually seemed fairly knowledgeable, said it sounded like a bad mobo, and went to get the manager of the geek squad department to get us a new computer, the manager was a COMPLETE •••• and asked to reproduce the problem, and it wouldnt work, when it turned on, it was going VERY slow (think about a p1 at 64mhz trying to run xp) and he was like oh well its just a software problem, and they reformatted the computer

we raised a bunch of hell at him and finally got him to replace the computer, except that they were out of the same model we had, and they tried to get us to take some AMD gateway, he said that the single core AMD was just as good and fast as the c2d

anyways, they had to drive 50 miles to get me a new computer

I hear a lotta horror stories about em from customers.

I dont necesarily think they are idiots.
    you know how much work they got?And the little pay they get considering they are techies? Why do you think I would rather sell?
    Last edited by Poci; 06-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.

i wouldn't trust the geek squad with a broken toaster
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT