Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need groundhog relocation help

Anybody have any knowhow to catch these things? I bought a havaheart trap tonight and put apples in it. Hopefully I'll catch the SOB. It's destroyed Mrs.Nuts flowers in the back yard. It yanks the flower right out of the ground, eats the flower and then drops the stalk on the ground beside the hole.
    It's a pretty big thing bout 10 pounds I guess.
    I bought the trap to catch animals the size of skunk, cats, racoon and ground hog so I hope it's roomy enough for my guest.
    If anybody has any ideas I sure could use 'em.
    Thanks.
    Pete

Re: I need groundhog relocation help

I have been told you can light a flare and drop it in the hole and then cover the hole. It uses up all the oxygen and smothers the gopher.
    Brian

pellet gun and a good ol fashioned stake out
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

All I can think of is Caddy Shack and Bill Murray as the crazy groundskeeper. I suspect dynamite is not an option in New Jersey? The trap is probably your best bet.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1946 View Post
    All I can think of is Caddy Shack and Bill Murray as the crazy groundskeeper. I suspect dynamite is not an option in New Jersey? The trap is probably your best bet.

fireworks!!!!!

This brings back memories. We had a woodchuck installing its own personal tunnel network in our backyard. One day the dogs (three labs) managed to chase it into the woodpile where it *didn't* have a hole. After tossing aside around a full cord of wood, I finally uncoverd the annoying cuss. He was hissing and spitting at the dogs, who still couldn't get a grip to pull him out of the wood. Fortunately, the pitchfork fit into the same gap and voila, skewered woodchuck. I buried him about three feet down and thought that was the end of it.

About two weeks went by when my wife, who was glad to have the tunner-digger gone, asked a question.

Wife: "Are groundhogs the same thing as woodchucks?"

Me: "Yes"

Wife: "So, you killed a groundhog?"

Me: "Yes"

Wife: "But. . .groundhogs are cute."

LOL, but if you think groundhogs are bad, you ought to do battle with a family of beavers. I chronicled my story last fall here.

As an update, the whole family was together over Thanksgiving last fall. I made the bold proclamation at dinner that Black Friday was going to take on new meaning. It was a full moon and the forecast called for no clouds. It was also going to be friggin' cold. I told everyone that Black Friday was going to bring death to a beaver.

I went out on Friday afternoon and popped a hole in the dam to get their attention. I went back around 5:30 when it was getting dark. That's when they usually come out to eat. I saw a couple heading for their food stash, but didn't have a decent shot that direction. I had to pack it in around 7:00 and get home to put kids to bed.

9:00pm rolled around and I told my wife, "I'm going back." For one miserable hour I stood in the cold without any sign of beavers on the move. Just before 10:00pm I was about ready to give up when two swam out from their lodge into the main creek. I had a six volt lantern and the single-shot with BB load and I tracked one moving down the creek.

It stopped briefly and I fired.

Water churned and I heard some gurgling, but couldn't find the beaver. It surfaced downstream, gurgling more, but I still couldn't track it down. You gotta keep in mind, it's near 0F and courtesy of the hole I put in the dam, the water level is down a couple feet. The bank of the creek is covered with sheets of ice from where the water level used to be. I'm trying to walk along the bank in the dark under a full moon wearing mucking boots and carrying a shot gun. Shortly after this, I saw one swimming upstream fairly fast toward to the lodge. I figured it had shaken off the shot and was swimming home. PO'd, I packed it in and called it a night.

Next day I was taking my Tennessee sister and brother-in-law out just to show them the property. Danged if there wasn't a big 'ol beaver dead and jammed into the dam where I had punched the hole a day earlier. It was a final act of defiance trying to flood my creek one last time. Fortunately I had gotten the momma beaver, and the family seems to have dispersed in her absence.

I'm sure there will be future beaver battles, but for now at least I have won.

I got it today.It's a fat thing.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    pellet gun and a good ol fashioned stake out
    rail gun and a good ol fashioned stake out
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

What do you plan on doing with it?
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

Can I have it?

lol

The Groundhog is looking at you, looking at the groundhog with the camera.

Nice catch! That didn't take long.

Take him to the rich part of town and set him free.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    Nice catch! That didn't take long.

Take him to the rich part of town and set him free.
    LMAO! good idea, make sure the cheapest house is $400,000.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51 View Post
    psht 400k? he said a rich neighborhood, not the slums!
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51 View Post
    I can't even get a crappy house for $400,000 in Vancouver.

Sig by Ishers of Canucks.com forums.