Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Automotive: Opinions on random car repair

I am going to concenrate on the distributor at this point. Then move to fuel next. I dont suspect the fuel pump.

From what I gather from all the forums I have researched, just about everything you guys have suggested /could be/ an issue. That being said, I dont want to chase problems with cash just yet. At least not the "small" probs. I am fairly confident it is either Distributor/Oil leak affecting the timing, or fuel/injectors (or posibly smog components showing their age), or "worse".

A new Distributor (w/cap and rotor w00t!) is $295 + $95 core from Nissan. I can get a re-pop for $371 no core. Some of my research has shown a few people mentioning that the repop is the better way to go, as its built better or leak resistant. I notice this factory distributor doesnt even have an o-ring or any type of gasket or even a lip for that matter, it fits flush to the head. I read where other shade tree mechanics put vaseline on it to "seal up" that flush mount. I'm wondering if the repop distributor has a lip/gasket/o-ring or something.

Thx for help guys. Saturday I will clean it all up, put it back and see if there is at least a difference. Now I just hope I didnt fubar the timing further.....

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mpulliam View Post
    I am going to concenrate on the distributor at this point. Then move to fuel next. I dont suspect the fuel pump.

From what I gather from all the forums I have researched, just about everything you guys have suggested /could be/ an issue. That being said, I dont want to chase problems with cash just yet. At least not the "small" probs. I am fairly confident it is either Distributor/Oil leak affecting the timing, or fuel/injectors (or posibly smog components showing their age), or "worse".

A new Distributor (w/cap and rotor w00t!) is $295 + $95 core from Nissan. I can get a re-pop for $371 no core. Some of my research has shown a few people mentioning that the repop is the better way to go, as its built better or leak resistant. I notice this factory distributor doesnt even have an o-ring or any type of gasket or even a lip for that matter, it fits flush to the head. I read where other shade tree mechanics put vaseline on it to "seal up" that flush mount. I'm wondering if the repop distributor has a lip/gasket/o-ring or something.

Thx for help guys. Saturday I will clean it all up, put it back and see if there is at least a difference. Now I just hope I didnt fubar the timing further.....

-=M=-
    Just take the cap off, and mark where the rotor is pointing on the distributor housing before removing the distributor. Do not crank the engine with the distributor out of the engine.You should be able to put it right back in the same place..It could possibly be that the distributor has an internal o ring on the shaft, or a seal, to prevent oil from coming in that way. The guy at the Dealer parts place should have a schematic of the distributor that would tell you that. It's doubtful that the rebuilt would be modified from stock one.Did you check around salvage yards?
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

I don't know if this is the one you need or not, but they have a bunch on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

I have not crawled into the pick and pull yet. Its on my list, as one of the spark plug wires is malformed at the seal. Nothing bad, but when I was cleanign the plugs I did notice a bit more debry like sand down in the plug area. New plug wires are $121 bux! All I need is the one, so yea...rather try to find one at this point.

My wife is funny, she is rooting for a decent fix. She hasnt said "cheap fix" so that tells me she really likes the car. It is in "pristine" condition, one owner, a little rust on one fender lip and immaculate inside. When it drove it was strong, peppy, and with the 1000w amp and 15" in the trunk/box it had good beats too. To my best calculation, it was getting 24mpg as well, so a huge improvment over my...uh...hillbilly blazer that was getting more like 9mpg before she blew.

-=M=-

Thx kbohip - that looks exactly like it. If you were to flip it around to see the bottom/otherside there is an extra tang there, looks like it was made to be drilled out for a different type of mounting hole, that is the problem area where oil leaks in from the top of the timeing chain cover.
    Last edited by mpulliam; 06-06-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Maybe a little more detective work is in order. It might be a good idea to try and trace the origin of the oil leak,by cleaning off the engine with degreaser, and washing the area around the leak. It could be coming from a valve cover gasket, or maybe a cam seal or some place like that. That's a GREAT find on EBAY, and worth it just to have a spare, as modules can and do fail once in a while.Just for reference, I was an auto tech for 34 years, before a 4wd ran over my left foot.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51 View Post
    Originally Posted by pimp my ride
    `are you sure your regulator didnt go bad?

usually a fuel pump either works at 100% or doesnt work at all

Not true. electric pumps can and go intermitent due to a variety of reasons, one being even a small amount of dirt getting by the sock over a long period of time. Running a car always without any gas can cause a pump failure too, as the pump is cooled by being immersed in fuel. A good many GM vehicles I worked on, had bad pumps with the same symptoms as his. However, the oil in the distributor could very well be the problem in his case. I'd pull the distributor, clean it out with some cleaner and dry it out. If oil is the problem, the car should run ok, until the oil leaks back in again.
    i understand, and thats my point i was trying to get across, but a fuel pump isnt going to start to run at 50% for 3 weeks then die on you

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0