Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: The high price of oil is *whose* fault?

About time^^ Also just heard Exxon/Mobil is getting out of the retail gas station market....gonna sell the company shops.

Cavuto was talking on Fox. And actually he's pretty correct with his other thoughts.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...oICBQD918OHV80
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-12-2008 at 05:14 PM.

"Drive offs" are becoming an increasing problem over here. One filling station has installed spike strips to counter this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7418684.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    "Drive offs" are becoming an increasing problem over here. One filling station has installed spike strips to counter this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7418684.stm
    Im sure well see it here as well. Probably what is happening here is weasels are stiffing the gas company credit cards. Also some farms are getting ripped off where diesel is stored.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Im sure well see it here as well. Probably what is happening here is weasels are stiffing the gas company credit cards. Also some farms are getting ripped off where diesel is stored.
    In some the bigger cities in California they're starting to drill holes in gas tanks. It makes for some expensive repairs
    Last edited by tucker; 06-12-2008 at 07:31 PM.

There's long been a racket in agricultural diesel over here. It's much cheaper, but is dyed red and meant for use by farmers only. Still, strain it through a loaf of bread (I am told) and it looks just like regular diesel (which it is).

I saw some fuel rationing today at a supermarket filling station. They were limiting purchases to 25 litres (roughly 6.6 US Gallons).

All due to sheeple panic buying because of a strike by Shell Oil tanker drivers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7454149.stm

A few days late to the party but the UN says

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367208,00.html

Yeah. Its all about the UN

http://www.cmu.edu/PR/releases06/ima...19_gort_lg.jpg

Lets see on Monday what this signal brings.
    Its a break from business as usual
    and lets not paint Cheney's visit as pointless.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-15-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Ummm...maybe we can drill our way out of this

You don't hear too much talk about the Bakken field from democrats these days. I wonder why? Could it be because of this:

Best of all, the Bakken could be huge. The Geological Survey's Leigh Price, a Denver geochemist who died of a heart attack in 2000, estimated that the Bakken might hold 413 billion barrels. If so, it would dwarf Saudi Arabia's Ghawar, the world's biggest field, which has produced about 55 billion barrels.

The challenge is getting the oil out. Bakken crude is locked 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) underground in a layer of dolomite, a dense mineral that doesn't surrender oil the way more porous limestone does. The dolomite band is narrow, too, averaging just 22 feet (7 meters) in North Dakota.

The USGS said in April that the Bakken holds as much as 4.3 billion barrels that can be recovered using today's engineering techniques. That's a fraction of the oil that Price said should be there, but it's still the largest accumulation of crude in the 48 contiguous U.S. states...
    Back in 1995 USGS took a look at Bakken and their estimate of recoverable oil at the time was 1/25th what they now say it is.

A U.S. Geological Survey assessment, released April 10, shows a 25-fold increase in the amount of oil that can be recovered compared to the agency's 1995 estimate of 151 million barrels of oil...

...The Bakken Formation estimate is larger than all other current USGS oil assessments of the lower 48 states and is the largest "continuous" oil accumulation ever assessed by the USGS...
    I'll leave it as an exercise for the readers to research who was president in 1995.
    digg this
    We really need to take advantage of what is available to us until newer technologies appear and mature. Getting continually kicked in the junk because of our dependency on oil from others when we have recourses right here is senseless.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^^^ Love the bit about the dems plan..

Democrats heralded the breakthrough, and stated that they hoped the "US could continue expanding its oil production by zero barrels every year into the near future."

"By the year 2040," one Democratic strategist explained, "all those zero-barrels of additoonal production will add up to an eye-popping total of zeroty-zero million barrels," possibly reducing oil prices by up to zero percent.

Seriously.. we need to start drilling.. NOW! Taxing oil companies for being profitable is not going to solve anything. Neither is suing OPEC. I had initially not paid too much attention to the "suit" as we all know it's going nowhere. But when you take a look at what it says:

NOPEC (Placed on Calendar in Senate)

It shall be illegal and a violation of this Act to limit the production or distribution of oil, natural gas, or any other petroleum product ... or to otherwise take any action in restraint of trade for oil, natural gas or any petroleum product when such action, combination, or collective action has a direct , substantial, and reasonably foreseeable effect on the market, supply, price or distribution of oil, natural gas or other petroleum product in the United States.
    I think.. who right here in the US fits that description to the proverbial "T"? Let me borrow Dutch's list for a sec:

Dems against:

Chair: Norman D. Dicks (WA)
    James P. Moran (VA)
    Maurice D. Hinchey (NY)
    John W. Olver (MA)
    Alan B. Mollohan (WV)
    Tom Udall (NM)
    Ben Chandler (KY)
    Ed Pastor (AZ)
    Dave Obey (WI), Ex Officio

Republicans for:

Ranking Member:
    Todd Tiahrt (KS)
    John E. Peterson (PA)
    Jo Ann Emerson (MO)
    Virgil H. Goode, Jr. (VA)
    Ken Calvert (CA)
    Jerry Lewis (CA), Ex Officio
    In short the people in congress who offered up this POS should be hauled into court and held accountable to it.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^^I cracked up when I read Ace's post.

I keep trying to come up with an apt analogy that signifies the same as some politicians attitude about drilling and surviving.
    Its like having all this "treasure" that can be converted to cash/incomes
    and ignoring it...for what? For some symbolic gesture? To make some "statement"?
    And of course we need to be careful. I get that.
    But not suicidal.

^^I cracked up when I read Ace's post.

I keep trying to come up with an apt analogy that signifies the same as some politicians attitude about drilling and surviving.
    Its like having all this "treasure" that can be converted to cash/incomes
    and ignoring it...for what? For some symbolic gesture? To make some "statement"?
    And of course we need to be careful. I get that.
    But not suicidal.
    Thing is the rhetoric for not drilling is identical to what it was 10 years ago. Use ANWAR as just one perfect example... if we had started drilling 10 years ago.. would an extra 1 million barrels a day from that one source have helped today? H3ll yes. Exploit all the oil that has been "off-limits" and we could potentially wean ourselves off foreign oil completely.

I'd feel a whole lot better about putting $$ into alternatives if OPEC did not have control of that aspect of our our economy by the nads.

-The Gipper

Drill! Drill! Drill!

Charles de Gaulle once wrote off the nation of Brazil in six words: "Brazil is not a serious country." How much time is left before someone says the same of the United States?

At this point in time, is there another country on the face of the earth that would possess the oil and gas reserves held by the United States and refuse to exploit them? Only technical incompetence, as in Mexico, would hold anyone back.

But not us. We won't drill.

We live in a world in which Russia's Vladimir Putin and Venezuela's Hugo Chávez use their vast oil and gas reserves as instruments of state power. Here, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid use their control of Congress to spend a week debating a "climate-change" bill. This they did fresh off their subsidized (and bipartisan) ethanol fiasco.

One may assume that Mr. Putin and the Chinese have noticed the policy obsessions of our political class. While other nations use their oil reserves to attain world status, we give ours up. Why shouldn't they conclude that, long term, these people can be taken? Nikita Khrushchev said, "We will bury you." Forget that. We'll do it ourselves.

-The Gipper