Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: The high price of oil is *whose* fault?

^^

You'd think the "national security" nominee, John McCain, would get this. He's clueless a don't-drill zombie. We may mark this down as the year the U.S. tired of being a serious country.
    Another reason to leave the presidential box on the ballot unmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    ^^

Another reason to leave the presidential box on the ballot unmarked.
    It'll be hard to vote McCain.. but the very thought of Bamma having access to placing members to the Supreme Court made up my mind. And I'm sick over having made the decision to do it..
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Knock, knock:
    BG, Petrobras Find More Oil in Brazil's Santos Basin
    BG Group Plc, the U.K.'s third-largest oil and gas company, and Petroleo Brasileiro SA made a second discovery in Brazil's Santos Basin.

The Guara exploration well struck oil in the BM-S-9 concession area, according to the partners, which also include Repsol YPF SA. That's in the same block as the Carioca discovery in September, which Brazil's petroleum regulator said may contain as many as 33 billion barrels of oil.
    Guara and Carioca are ultra-deep wells beneath a salt layer under the seabed known as pre-salt fields. These fields lie below as much as 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) of ocean and seabed, forming a new province of Brazilian oil reserves beneath shallower existing fields.

Tupi Field

BG and Rio de Janeiro-based Petrobras are also exploring the Tupi field in the Santos Basin. Tupi, the biggest discovery in the Americas since 1976, and the nearby fields may cost $240 billion to exploit, according to estimates from Peter Wells, director of U.K. research firm Neftex Petroleum Consultants Ltd. and a former Royal Dutch Shell Plc exploration manager.

^^^ It makes you wonder what could be found deep under the seabeds of North America. We aren't even allowed to look, are we?

Sheesh, I can still remember all of the oil rigs off the Southern California coast. They sure didn’t keep us away from the beach or the water when I was a youngster.

Now the Southern California coast is so polluted from big city waste it isn’t fit for man or beast.

How ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ It makes you wonder what could be found deep under the seabeds of North America. We aren't even allowed to look, are we?
    pretty soon we wont be able to even discuss the matter

Breaking: Bush Will Call On Congress To Lift Ban On Offshore Drilling Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Breaking: Bush Will Call On Congress To Lift Ban On Offshore Drilling Tomorrow
    Bout dang time... it'll never happen... but it's about time those opposed to taking advantage of resources we have access to are made to publicly account for their refusal. Energy is going to be a campaign issue.. and it's an issue the (R)'s can easily run home with if McCain can find a way to not bork it up.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368221,00.html

Look. We all know its not the silver bullet. But this is what a leader has to do
    and he needs to explain what to expect.
    For the moment? Lets attempt to get our oil imports down to where they were 25 years ago.
    Because tech isnt moving fast enough
    and were comiting suicide worrying about animals.

Gotta have an oil expert
    Ethanol expert
    Nuke expert
    New Tech Expert
    Conservation expert

and plainly say..."this is what needs to be done in 15 years"

Sit them down. Find a plan. What does each need to do.
    How much can each contribute to a common goal?

And Federal money gets portioned out according to how goals are met...not impossible/self destructive "dreams"
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-17-2008 at 08:22 PM.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,368221,00.html

Look. We all know its not the silver bullet. But this is what a leader has to do
    and he needs to explain what to expect.
    For the moment? Lets attempt to get our oil imports down to where they were 25 years ago.
    Because tech isnt moving fast enough
    and were comiting suicide worrying about animals.
    McCain's position is laughable:

On Monday, McCain made lifting the federal ban on offshore oil and gas development a key part of his energy plan. The Arizona senator said states should be allowed to pursue energy exploration in waters near their coasts and receive some of the royalty revenue.
    Last time I checked Alaska was also a state. Why should they not be able to develop 2,000 acres of the 19,000,000 that make up ANWR John? To protect 0.010% of that pristine.. mosquito infested landscape 99.99% of Americans will never lay eyes on?

But let's face it.. Bamma's position is even more comical:

Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic candidate for president, opposes lifting the ban on offshore drilling and says that allowing exploration now wouldn't affect gasoline prices for at least five years.
    Boilerplate liberal response. Guess what? If we were able to drill in ANWR 10 years ago that one source would be now supplying about 1 million barrels a day! Instead we're supposed to bend over and kiss OPEC's a$$ for producing another 200k barrels a day. And the (D)'s running congress laughed at the results of GWB's request. WTF did they expect after congress under Pelosi/Reid agreed to sue OPEC? Candy and flowers for the favor?

-The Gipper

It needs to be hardcore business without politics.
    Id get the oil weasels in my office and they wouldnt leave until I had a firm commitment. Same for the nuke weasels.
    The goal is simple. Imported oil is reduced by 50% in 5 years.
    From whatever "source" ie domestc production/new tech/nuke/conservation etc

Seems hardcore. But hey [if it were up to me] it beats having IRS Auditors living with you for the next 40 years.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-17-2008 at 08:40 PM.

You know what Im getting at Scooter?
    Simplify the goal. Then the different groups can be measured against a common goal.

Reduce imported oil by 50% in 5 years.

Put a man on the moon by the end of the decade

Keep the goal simple

It needs to be hardcore business without politics.
    Id get the oil weasels in my office and they wouldnt leave until I had a firm commitment. Same for the nuke weasels.
    The goal is simple. Imported oil is reduced by 50% in 5 years.
    From whatever "source" ie domestc production/new tech/nuke/conservation etc
    Seriously. We have the means at our disposal and if we used them all we could feasibly lower oil imports by 50% in 5 years.

The choice is easy IMHO.. either get on board or STFU about gas prices. Wanna wait till gas = European prices and still hear (D)'s pimping the idea that "it won't help us now" crap about opening up our own resources for use? Fine by me.. I'll still be driving. But I don't wanna hear a peep from Pelosi.. Bamma or any other (D) nitwit about the "people's" suffering. By handcuffing our ability to develop domestic resources they horsef*ck us all.
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 06-17-2008 at 08:50 PM.

-The Gipper

Exactly. Think back to JFK's call to get a man on the moon in 10 years?

Simple.

It didnt mean it was up to government to complete all the elements.
    Government's proper roll is making it easy for industry to accomplish the task
    not break their balls with bull shit

You know what Im getting at Scooter?
    Simplify the goal. Then the different groups can be measured against a common goal.

Reduce imported oil by 50% in 5 years.

Put a man on the moon by the end of the decade

Keep the goal simple
    I hear ya loud and clear. And if in the next 5 years we find a suitable alternative? Great! Seeing as no one has shown me that "earth friendly" alternative that I can use today... the "it won't help us today to open ANWR" crowd's rhetoric falls well short of a rational, reasoned response. How overwhelmingly short sighted is it to not make plans for the very real possibility that an alternative will not be found in the foreseeable future? It's beyond comprehension IMHO.

-The Gipper