Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: The high price of oil is *whose* fault?

The problem we have is all the contributors are off on their own.
    Oil industry works as an independant deal. Same with nukes. Conservation etc.
    Give them all an incentive to contribute to a common and simple goal.

AKA Build an atomic Bomb

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I hear ya loud and clear. And if in the next 5 years we find a suitable alternative? Great! Seeing as no one has shown me that "earth friendly" alternative that I can use today... the "it won't help us today to open ANWR" crowd's rhetoric falls well short of a rational, reasoned response. How overwhelmingly short sighted is it to not make plans for the very real possibility that an alternative will not be found in the foreseeable future? It's beyond comprehension IMHO.

Exactly. Each group kicks in with what they can do...oil beefs up domestic supply....the nuke guys find ways to do new plants that replace plants that burn crap now....conservation team works on the car companies....etc

Weve pissed away years by each group competing with one another.
    Its stupid.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-17-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    The problem we have is all the contributors are off on their own.
    Oil industry works as an independant deal. Same with nukes. Conservation etc.
    Give them all an incentive to contribute to a common and simple goal.

AKA Build an atomic Bomb
    Yup.. they are all going in separate directions. And we as a country are headed down the slippery slope. Big oil cares not. Go ahead Nanners.. tax them.. see who ends up paying. The enviroweenies do not care. They seem to prefer anti-human policies anyway. It'd be mud huts and a prius in every dirt driveway if they had their way. Nukes? That industry has been demonized in this country six ways to Sunday. Why should they give a hoot about our problems? People better wake up real fast. Our own gubberment is the worst offender ATM. No nukes.. no new drilling.. no plan other than suing OPEC and taxing oil companies.. and lets not forget the costly fight against "global warming".. ya.. we have a lot to look forward to. My prediction going on as-is? $10/gal gas inside those same 5 years.

We simply need to cut the BS. Come up with a REAL plan for energy independence that includes both research and exploitation of our resources.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Yup. You got it. Why I would make the goal almost neutral. Simple
    Reduce oil imports by 50% in 5 years.
    All the groups are satisfied.

BTW? When am I getting a check from Government for the perfect solution?

Cause thats how Id frame my deal. If I were the Pres.
    [JimZ in 08]
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-17-2008 at 09:23 PM.

The high price of oil in America is America's fault for not thinking ahead and assuming the supply of it is limitless.

If things continue the way they are, then America as a super power will cease and become a nation of debt owing money to all the other major super power nations as they try to pay for the high price of oil as well.

Heck, the oil age as we once known it is pretty much over. People will have to be more conservative with it and more isolated until a cheaper form of energy emerges.

I agree with your first point. Its our fault to have been talked into a conservation/environmentalist driven energy policy that has forced us into a take it or leave it situation.

The oil age isnt over. Were paying the price for being convinced its over.

At this rate, when the oil age is over, we'll have all the oil...

Kinda like sittin' in front of a computer with stacks of papyrus and boxes of quill pens...

OK, bad analogy. I think you get the drift...

Now that the polls favor drilling pretty much across the board... who wants to take bets how long it takes the Messiah to "Change" his position?

McCain Flip-Flops on Offshore Oil Drilling

And the Fox News All-Star Panel seems to think he'll be better off for it. Charles Krauthammer, however, argues McCain didn't go far enough:
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

They are full of shit. I would reduce foreign in oil imports in 5 years
    assuming I were the guy in charge.
    Its not rocket science.
    Reduce demand....thats all fine...but couple that with increased domestic supply.
    Duh.
    Jeez the cost of imported gold is expensive....what shall we do?
    Find our own or find an alternative?

Meanwhile...my biggest bitch is we are being self destructive in ignoring
    what we "have"

"No Jimz...dont dig up that pile of diamonds in your backyard...it may upset the cats and dogs that like to play nearby.....meanwhile well figure a way to devalue what is there"..."cause we have a better plan to rob you of the money you might have earned and kept here"..."and kept circulating in our economy"

Drilling and Our Collective Madness [Victor Davis Hanson]

There is something pathetic about Americans begging the House of Saud to produce another 300,000-500,000 barrels of oil per day, while in mindless fashion repeating the mantra, “We can’t drill our way out of this problem” — as if anyone suggested absolute oil independence was the goal rather than more supply to deflate tight conditions that encourage speculation. Americans, who invented the oil industry, are beginning to resemble H.G. Wells’ Eloi in our refined paralysis.

Exploration and oil production are an issue that is absolutely explosive for Democrats, given their perennial resistance to ANWR, coastal and deep ocean drilling, tar sands, shale, liquid coal, and nuclear. And the irony is that their opposition to drilling — dismissing each potential find or field with the reductionist “it would be only 500,000 barrels,” “a mere million barrels,” or “just a few cents off a gallon of gas” — is classically illiberal to the point of either callousness or abject madness.

Keep reading this post . . .

Hey.. we should all just sit back an relax.. wait for the "plan".. any time now...

Where Are The Lower Gas Prices, Ms Pelosi?

From an April 2008 interview with Larry King via YouTube, and an April 24, 2006 press release issued by Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, CA 8th District:

Pelosi: ‘With Skyrocketing Gas Prices, Americans Can No Longer Afford Rubber Stamp Congress’

Monday, April 24, 2006

Washington, D.C. – House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement today on President Bush’s, Speaker Hastert’s, and the Republican Congress’ empty rhetoric on gas prices. Key facts on the Majority’s failure to address gas prices follows Pelosi’s statement.

With skyrocketing gas prices, it is clear that the American people can no longer afford the Republican Rubber Stamp Congress and its failure to stand up to Republican big oil and gas company cronies. Americans this week are paying $2.91 a gallon on average for regular gasoline – 33 cents higher than last month, and double the price than when President Bush first came to office.

“With record gas prices, record CEO pay packages, and record oil company profits, Speaker Hastert and the Majority Congress continue to give the American people empty rhetoric rather than join Democrats who are working to lower gas prices now.

“Democrats have a commonsense plan to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices by cracking down on price gouging, rolling back the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies, and increasing production of alternative fuels.”
    This statement was issued more than two years ago. The Democrats have had complete control of Congress since January 2007.

Ms. Pelosi has been the Speaker of the House and the second most power elected official in the land since then.

Enlarge

So where are the lower gas prices, Ms. Pelosi? (And your attempt to raise prices by raising the taxes on gasoline doesn’t count.)

Since the Democrats took control of Congress gas prices have gone through the roof.

Why is that?
    I know.. I know..

-The Gipper

No

http://www.foxnews.com/urgent_queue/...f44,2008-06-18

What a thought. Jesus. Right off the bat I could name 5 guys here
    that have a better grasp on what we should do

Energy Experts

Orang
    trout
    Scooter
    otoc
    dutch

Geesus chrest! 3 words..

Among other things, the Democrats called for the government to own refineries so it could better control the flow of the oil supply.
    Stuck... on... stupid...

edit to add

Isn't it usually liberal democrats who scream bloody murder about "big brother"?
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 06-18-2008 at 08:18 PM.

-The Gipper

Im convinced 5 or 6 reasonable and informed people can solve the mess.
    I dont mean to glorify the points I made last night...but come on.
    Simple goal that all can contribute to without giving up their special interests.

Maybe when Orang deems himself as Emporer I can get a slot
    as the "Office of Make It Happen"