Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: mid-range INTEL/ATi setup?

oh yeah the WD 250GB IDE and the dvd burner are just from my current system, so - thought I might as well keep them for my new one, because they work well enough, and I dont burn many CDs and stuff.

I bought my first premade pc EVER recently at Newegg. Its at least a midrange gaming pc, IBUYPOWER "Gamer".

It was $1369 and if you add up the individual parts it would cost that to build.

Theres a link to it in the Gaming Forum here (under GOOD BUY OR NOT?)

If you have not already purchased the components I would change my recommendation for the Video card. Yes, the 9800GTX is still a very good card, however it is beaten by the 4850 $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121253

Better still is the 4870 $310 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102748

At $165 for each card I would crossfire the 4850's. Almost the same price as a single 4870.

Most people with Intel Core2 Duo or quads MUCH PREFER an Intel based motherboard, more stability among other reasons.

you can't Crossfire unless you're willing to buy a NON Intel chipset motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    Most people with Intel Core2 Duo or quads MUCH PREFER an Intel based motherboard, more stability among other reasons.

you can't Crossfire unless you're willing to buy a NON Intel chipset motherboard.
    The x48 among many other chipsets are Intel's which support Crossfire. I think all of Intel's chipsets support crossfire.

I just pulled the trigger on:

intel C2D E8400
    ASUStek P5Q-E
    CORSAIR 2x2GB PC2-6400 (TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G)
    SAPPHIRE ATi 4870
    WD vRAPTOR 300gb

TRUE-120-xtreme
    DELTA 120CM (TWO HUNDRED CFM!) (with vantec fan controller)

still looking for somewhere to buy an AUDIOtrak HIFI 7.1 though.

wish me luck!
    Last edited by intrepidTE; 07-02-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petden View Post
    The x48 among many other chipsets are Intel's which support Crossfire. I think all of Intel's chipsets support crossfire.

Ya, I guess almost all the newer ones support Crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by intrepidTE View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on:

intel C2D E8400
    ASUStek P5Q-E
    CORSAIR 2x2GB PC2-6400 (TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G)
    SAPPHIRE ATi 4870
    WD vRAPTOR 300gb

TRUE-120-xtreme
    DELTA 120CM (TWO HUNDRED CFM!) (with vantec fan controller)

still looking for somewhere to buy an AUDIOtrak HIFI 7.1 though.

wish me luck!
    Lookin good!

Well, that 200 cfm fan combo will push enough air, to move the whole computer , or at least make a hover craft out of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZcCuXDBuoY

BTW, the setup looks good.

yeah - my philosophy is that theres no point spending over 1200AUD on a computer if the neighbours dont know every time its turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by intrepidTE View Post
    yeah - my philosophy is that theres no point spending over 1200AUD on a computer if the neighbours dont know every time its turned on.
    As long as that sound doesn't bother you everything is fine. I am not a stickler for silence, but i dont like something that sounds like a whining child that is not your own :P.

this is a pic of my TRUe-120, 120cm Delta and my AUDIOtrak 7.1 soundcard. The other parts of this bad boy are arriving soon.

Yes, thats an original 1993 IBM keyboard, too!
    Last edited by intrepidTE; 07-08-2008 at 07:31 AM.

I just got a call that my parts had arrived at the computer shop. Im still at work, I cant sit down properly, Im also making excitable noises that are drawing strange looks. . .

For one very good reason. Can you imagine trying to keep a 500 gb drive organized ? Get a small primary drive, keep it organized and use larger drive to store data and use for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispycrunch View Post
    Why don't you get a bigger IDE drive? 500GB is like $75. Ditto on the DVD - Get DL. Unless these are just old parts you're going to use on your new system.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool24 View Post
    If they are not parts you have id definitely get Sata drives, no point in buying old technology like IDE. The Vraptor looks nice though. I'd love to get one but i cant justify spending that much on a hard drive anymore. 6 years ago i spent over 400 bucks on a 100 gig hard drive, and i think that was the first and last time i spent over 250 on one.
    haha yeah with our luck they will bring out server grade HDD for the same price as the VLociraptor and we will have 15000 RPM drives
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."