It and programming

Hi

I like computers. I spend most of my time on the internet and keep up on tech and it really interests me. So the natural progression is for me to try and get a job working in what I like. The problem is that I hate programming. I have tried to learn from books, online and a class too, but I just get frustrated and stressed out with it. I just don't think I'm made to be a programmer.

Are there any other areas of computers I can work in? Or am I just screwed and will have to find some other industryto work in?

Re: It and programming

Uhhhh you do know it takes more than programming to make a computer work right? Have you thought about Networking? Computer Repair? those don't require programming knowledge and are still good job opportunities. Even getting into an IT dept. for some company where you're main job is to troubleshoot software and hardware problems for their users. I think you need to do a little more reading out there.
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
    Intel Q9300
    EVGA Geforce GTX260
    750GB Hitachi SATA HD
    250 GB Maxtor Ultra 16 SATA HD
    200 GB Western Digital SE PATA HD
    Samsung DVDRW
    Antec 850w PSU
    Antec P160 Case

The problem is that I hate programming.
    No problem at all. Have you thought about the infrastructure side of IT? Networking, hardware, security, SysAdmin stuff?

I see my SysAdmin friends' salaries taking off. Not so much with my programming colleagues. There's a huge demand for networking and infrastructure people in IT.

I'm a programmer and I absolutely hate (despise, loathe) networking and my best bud is a SysAdmin and he can't stand programming. But of course, that doesn't stop us from joining up on the virtual battlefield and kicking some serious arse!

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

What about electronics in general. Plenty of stuff to go into with an EE.

Amen - MANY more opportunites open to EE types (and I don't mean M$ types).
    Last edited by BWM; 06-12-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehat View Post
    Are there any other areas of computers I can work in? Or am I just screwed and will have to find some other industryto work in?
    As others have stated, there's more to IT than just programming. For me, it was the proverbial foot-in-the-door with my current employer, i.e. I started off as a programmer, but eventually moved to a different team a year later. Other than the occasional SQL statement, I haven't written any code in over eight years. I detest programming and, to a lesser degree, networking, but if an organization is sufficiently large, you can find your niche within IT. For someone like me who was fresh out of college without any related work experience, knowing some programming is definitely an asset; once you're in, you can explore job openings within the same department.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks. I did wonder after reading some sites about sql if DBA could be a good move. But is this path only open for programmers?

Thanks. I did wonder after reading some sites about sql if DBA could be a good move. But is this path only open for programmers?
    Having some programming knowledge is handy, but not necessary if you wish to become a DBA eventually. Chances are, you may need to write custom scripts tailored to your organization's database applications, but how much and how often depends on what hardware they're running, application software, etc. Regardless of how you gain entry into the IT department of an organization, it's a safe bet that you'll continue receiving training (to some degree) as an IT employee, so that your skills set don't diminish or become obsolete. What companies are willing to pay for in the way of training can vary dramatically, and it's something you'll want to find out during the interviewing process. In my case, Oracle CBT training is currently available to me, though I would prefer to attend a weeklong course off-site (it is a more expensive option, as courses run ~$3000 each)

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Amen - MANY more opportunites open to EE types (and I don't mean M$ types).
    Really? I thought that computer jobs would far outnumber electronics ones.

Really? I thought that computer jobs would far outnumber electronics ones.
    I don't know what the job market's like for EE-related occupations, but I know there's a severe shortage of computer science grads in the US, as well as IT professionals with specialized skills sets.

- Frederick Douglas