Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What can I use to fill gap under door?

The door to my room has this inch wide gap at the bottom from the floor. Its not really a problem, but it tends to transmit sound across very easily. And just the other day I saw a huge roach crawl through it. Anyways, is there something I can use to plug it temporarily without doing permanent damage? Liek some sort of foam?

Re: What can I use to fill gap under door?

The gap is there to allow airflow, as for sound travel, most home's built in the last 30-40 years use a "hollow" type of door as they are cheaper than a solid one, solid being a better door to not allow as much sound to travel thru.

You can get a strip of wood the same width as the door and tack it to the bottom, but I would not suggest it at all.
    As for the roach, all an exterminator, as when there is one seen, there are 1000's unseen.........

Could look at this [typical] solution as well

http://amconservationgroup.com/catalog.aspx?catid=234

http://www.grandrapidsnightout.com/dining

I assume this is a door to the rest of the house and not the outside?

get one of these door sock things
    http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Ge...g2444a349.html

and Exterminate the damn roaches

I think hunter is right about the hollow door thing. But the roach still freaks me out so I might plug it anyways. Will attaching a wall of eggshell cushion to my door help the sound thing?

And I dont think the roach was from inside the house. It was like 2-3" long! I tried to cup it but was afraid of smashing it in half if I missed. If I see more, Ill tell the lady who owns the house, but right now im just praying its an isolated incident.

Quote Originally Posted by fatlazyhomer View Post
    I think hunter is right about the hollow door thing. But the roach still freaks me out so I might plug it anyways. Will attaching a wall of eggshell cushion to my door help the sound thing?

And I dont think the roach was from inside the house. It was like 2-3" long! I tried to cup it but was afraid of smashing it in half if I missed. If I see more, Ill tell the lady who owns the house, but right now im just praying its an isolated incident.
    foam would work yes, just make sure it doesn't damage your landlords door.

and that door sock thing sounds like a good idea for you since you probably don't want to go modifying the doors too much since they aren't really yours.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Small Children
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

those 2-3 inch long roaches are most likely wood roaches, and the exterminator at my work place said for some reason, they are very bad this year, no idea what would be different.

the egg crate should lower the sound level pretty good, but attatching it will be a problem, hmm, then again, you might be able to use fishing line at t he top middle and bottom, wrapping it around the door (the fishing line that is) to hold it in place.

Hey even thumbtacks might work on the sides ofthe door, tying the line around the hinge side first, to hold it in place and not have string showing on the outside.

Thats a great idea! Im going to try that. Know where I can get alot of egg crates for cheap/free?

Edit: Ive decided to get an egg shell mattress. I figure I can use it for soundproof now, and after I move back to the dorms, as an actual mattress. The ones they provide arnt very comfy.
    Last edited by fatlazyhomer; 06-17-2008 at 01:46 AM.

Why not stick a small (fairly thin) rug/runner underneath the door to lessen the gap?

I was hoping for something that would allow me to open and close it with ease. But those solutions seem unreliable according to reviews.

I had to search for this since i forgot what it was called. Recommend reading the amazon reviews. Some love/hate for it. If it is a standard door than it should be fine.

https://www.twindraftguard.com/index.asp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top

Edit: I thought i had clicked on astrochimps link but yeah he mentioned it too
    Last edited by Kzar; 06-18-2008 at 01:33 PM.

You can use Door Gap Fix and get them at www.doorgapfix.com They are door extender retrofit kits. they are made of wood, recycled wood even. they help keep heat in and even help keep smoke out of the room in case of a fire out in the hallway. better than the draft guard products. this actually becomes part of the wood door. stays on. i've had one on for a few years. works great.

a towel
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Quote Originally Posted by shazammer View Post
    You can use Door Gap Fix and get them at www.doorgapfix.com They are door extender retrofit kits. they are made of wood, recycled wood even. they help keep heat in and even help keep smoke out of the room in case of a fire out in the hallway. better than the draft guard products. this actually becomes part of the wood door. stays on. i've had one on for a few years. works great.

Wow!!

You signed up, found and almost 2 year old thread and replied to it???????????
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate