Spec me a new PC

It seems like ages since I contributed to these boards, probably because it's been a long time . It's a sad occasion though as I have to report the death of my last cruncher, it fried it's silicon chips a few days ago after years of faithful service. The funeral will be held once I have extracted the data, no flowers but donations to my pocket please

It's been a while since I looked at things computery, so I need a bit of advice. I obviously have a case, drives (HD, CD, DVD) and all the other accessories but I need a new board, CPU and memory. I'll probably need a new graphics card as well (mine is AGP). The machine will be used for crunching obviously, playing WOW, maybe a small bit of video editing as well as the normal surfin/work type stuff.

So whats good these days, I don't want to spend a fortune but don't mind emptying my wallet for something thats going to last a while. Say 250 GPB or 500 of your US dollars.

Gareth

Re: Spec me a new PC

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehopper View Post
    It seems like ages since I contributed to these boards, probably because it's been a long time . It's a sad occasion though as I have to report the death of my last cruncher, it fried it's silicon chips a few days ago after years of faithful service. The funeral will be held once I have extracted the data, no flowers but donations to my pocket please

It's been a while since I looked at things computery, so I need a bit of advice. I obviously have a case, drives (HD, CD, DVD) and all the other accessories but I need a new board, CPU and memory. I'll probably need a new graphics card as well (mine is AGP). The machine will be used for crunching obviously, playing WOW, maybe a small bit of video editing as well as the normal surfin/work type stuff.

So whats good these days, I don't want to spend a fortune but don't mind emptying my wallet for something that's going to last a while. Say 250 GPB or 500 of your US dollars.

Gareth
    $500? yikes! The motherboard, ram and cpu may eat up that alone.

Start with an Asus P5K Deluxe(DDR2 version with Yellow+Black ram slots), Q9450 cpu(Price drop soon according to Intel), 2GB of Patriot DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 ram, Thermalright 775 bolt thru kit, Kingwin RVT-12025 cpu cooler, a Delta 120mm 151cfm fan to replace the stock Kingwin fan, Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound(for the Kingwin and the top of the Q9450 cpu), As to power supplies an OCZ 700w psu should do, An Nvidia MSI NX6200TC as their inexpensive workhorses(Good for crunching, web browsing, etc, Games I don't know) or an ATi HD 3850 w/512MB(Which should do for what the NX6200TC can't do and then some, I've seen some good online reviews) or an Nvidia XFX 8800GT.

Thanks Joker, looks like I might have to raid the piggy bank then.

Anyone else have any ideas?

For processor, I'd say Intel all the way. The only real question is a dual core or quad core. An entry level quad core (Q6600 2.4GHz) will cost you round 130 atm and they overclock really well if that interests you. Dual cores are not that much cheaper, so I would get the Q6600 or at least use that as a reference point for anything else you consider. A Q6600 quad core should certainly last you many years for general usage and they are good value atm as they've been out quite a while now.

Motherboard choice will really then depend if you want to OC. A top end board will set you back around 100, but you can go cheaper if you don't want to OC. I'm guessing a good P35 based borad from the likes of Abit, Asus or Gigabyte. Here's some examples:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-92-263-0

Memory is cheap now, and 2GB ram will come in around 30, even for good makes like corsair or crucial. 2GB is a sensible minimum, and 4GB is great if you have a 64-bit OS to take advantage.

For a graphics card, I just went with a cheap PCI-E card as I don't play games so that's fine for me. They start around 20-30 and go through the roof depending what you want. Have a look on ebay for a second hand card as folks sell off old cards cheap and there's really nothing to go wrong on them. I picked up my nvidia 7600GS around half price.
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 06-22-2008 at 11:25 AM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115052 $129

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128337 $89

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098 $45

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161228 $89
    after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256019 $36

I have this CPU. Just change the FSB to 333mhz and memory to 2.40 and you have a 3160mhz 1.13v screamer. If you want a quad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017 $209

Cheaper than the Q9300 and low vcore 1.25v....

I have built many PCs using that 350w power supply. It puts out more power than most 500w...
    Last edited by MJD1964; 06-23-2008 at 09:05 AM.

I just built a quad machine for around $470 including a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. I as well had a case and drives. I did go cheap on a used X600 video card (folding only machine) for $15 so thats $455. Add in a $150-200 video card and it'll be a nice machine even for gaming while being able to OC to 3.6 easy and be quiet. It may need a slightly better PSU to go along with it, a bump from 500->600 or so.

Same motherboard, Q66, 2GB Crucial, OCZ 500W PSU, TRUE 120, and 2x scythe fans. Shop around.

I agree with MJD1964 on the gigabyte motherboard. I like the "all solid state capacitor" feature. I've had motherboards with swollen caps before.

I also have to agree that the Q6600 is where the value is. (Although I prefer to go AMD if I can to support competition.)

And I agree that a good lower watt power supply would be a better choice, except that I would spring for a seasonic such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151033

I've had good luck with Seasonic, and I find their power supplies to be reliable and exceptionally efficient. The one I linked to is "80 plus" certified. It also has a large fan below and vent holes in the back, a design I like as it is inherently much quieter than having a smaller fan in the back. A 430W PS will be enough as long as the video card isn't too high-end.

The Radeon 3850 is an excellent value for a video card.

I would spring for 4GB ram (two sticks of 2GB each). Even if you're currently using an old 32bit OS that can't make full use of it, having 4GB still gives some value. And it makes it much easier to upgrade to 8GB later, as you won't be wasting two slots on obsolete 1GB sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by AMD_is_logical View Post
    I agree with MJD1964 on the gigabyte motherboard. I like the "all solid state capacitor" feature. I've had motherboards with swollen caps before.

I also have to agree that the Q6600 is where the value is. (Although I prefer to go AMD if I can to support competition.)

And I agree that a good lower watt power supply would be a better choice, except that I would spring for a seasonic such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151033

I've had good luck with Seasonic, and I find their power supplies to be reliable and exceptionally efficient. The one I linked to is "80 plus" certified. It also has a large fan below and vent holes in the back, a design I like as it is inherently much quieter than having a smaller fan in the back. A 430W PS will be enough as long as the video card isn't too high-end.

The Radeon 3850 is an excellent value for a video card.

I would spring for 4GB ram (two sticks of 2GB each). Even if you're currently using an old 32bit OS that can't make full use of it, having 4GB still gives some value. And it makes it much easier to upgrade to 8GB later, as you won't be wasting two slots on obsolete 1GB sticks.
    Going to 8GB means one would definitely need a 64bit OS, As 4GB is already stretching XP Pro to just beyond Its limit as stated by MS. As the OS can see 4GB of memory, But not all of that 4GB is available to the user, Some is reserved for the Hardware and everything else that the OS uses or that is running under that OS, As there is nothing above 4GB to the XP Pro OS, Absolutely nothing. As the XP Pro OS uses a Flat memory model and all 4GB is within that space, Bank switching does not add extra space, By Its very name It just switches banks in and out of where the OS can see.
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 06-23-2008 at 05:51 PM.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Q6600 at the moment is definitely the way to go for cpu...... with proper cooling, 3ghz+ is almost certain with a decent mainboard. But a c2d will work nicely if you want to spend the cash elsewhere..... or maybe on gas! LOL

looks like Mike (MJD) has a good list of parts, hard to argue with any of his choices, as they offer a good bang for the buck......

Let us know your final choices so we can oooooo an aahh!

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores View Post
    Q6600 at the moment is definitely the way to go for cpu...... with proper cooling, 3ghz+ is almost certain with a decent mainboard. But a c2d will work nicely if you want to spend the cash elsewhere..... or maybe on gas! LOL

looks like Mike (MJD) has a good list of parts, hard to argue with any of his choices, as they offer a good bang for the buck......

Let us know your final choices so we can oooooo an aahh!
    Can a Q6600 G0 get to 3.49GHz on air?

Quote Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post
    Can a Q6600 G0 get to 3.49GHz on air?
    Maybe..... depends on the cooler..... 3.3ghz is probable, and 3.2ghz is almost certain....

The Q6600 is more robust in my opinion.... 1.5v Vcore is fine as long as you have good cooling. I bet with good cooling and up tp 1.5v Vcore, 3.5ghz is possible. I seemed to see more failures on the 45nm chips than the 65nm parts..... just an observation, Have no official study....

but to be honest, either chip is fine..... but for someone on a budget, the q6600 is cheaper, which is the "main" reason I recommended it in this case.......
    Last edited by thelmores; 06-25-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Maybe..... depends on the cooler..... 3.3ghz is probable, and 3.2ghz is almost certain....

The Q6600 is more robust in my opinion.... 1.5v Vcore is fine as long as you have good cooling. I bet with good cooling and up to 1.5v Vcore, 3.5ghz is possible. I seemed to see more failures on the 45nm chips than the 65nm parts..... just an observation, Have no official study....

but to be honest, either chip is fine..... but for someone on a budget, the q6600 is cheaper, which is the "main" reason I recommended it in this case.......
    I got the Q9300 M1 cpu up to 3.49GHz and @ 1.375vcore, among other settings and It's been running like this for just over 24 hours now. Of course the Q9300 is in a P5K Deluxe w/4GB Patriot Viper pc2-8500 ram.

Cheers guys, you've given me a lot to think about. It'll take me a week or so to sort it out and decide which way to go but I'll report back with the build and results.

One thing I've noticed is that the cost of components is much higher on this side of the pond. I ran a quick check against MJD's list, I reckon costs here are about 30% higher than in the US. I tried to compare like with like but not all the manufacturers listed supply to the UK.

Gareth

the q9300 is also about $70 more..... which was my point!

the q9300 is also about $70 more..... which was my point!
    The failures on 45nm parts were cause some people pushed the vcore stupidly beyond 1.45v, Go beyond 1.45v and You got Yourself a trinket, Not a cpu anymore, Even 65nm can't be pushed too far beyond 1.5v without making a lot of heat(Unless You like to water cool them), Prices are going to drop soon according to Intel, So I'd get one as right now their less than $280 on ebay and they really overclock, Sometime afterwards they should be less than that. Oh and I use a Kingwin RVT-12025 cpu cooler and a Delta 120mm 151cfm fan and the cpu cooler didn't cost Me even $39 with shipping.