Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Re: Antivirus xp 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Just had to clean this junk off someone's computer at work:

- Boot in safe mode w/ networking
    - Disable its 2 startup entries via Startup Cop/MSCONFIG
    - Use regedit to delete its service
    - Disable suspicious IE modules
    - Delete AV XP 2008 folders/files from C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Program Files
    - Use BitDefender/TrendMicro free online virus/spyware scan
    - Reboot
    - Verify real antivirus is working
    The core of this thing runs inside the OS Kernel. This virus is loaded in memory every time Windows starts. You can get rid of the shell, but I don't see how the above steps could do anything about the core. You can't extricate it without destroying the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Panadero View Post
    I got an attempted XP 2009 install on a linux machine today. Reading a regular nothing-special website and whammo, pop-up, fake scanner, etc. like mentioned above. I wondered how they did that. In googling around a bit, found this discussion which shows one vector from web pages/hacked servers.
    Good reading, SP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorin View Post
    The core of this thing runs inside the OS Kernel. This virus is loaded in memory every time Windows starts. You can get rid of the shell, but I don't see how the above steps could do anything about the core. You can't extricate it without destroying the OS.
    Well, it's not all that tough. I remove it everyday and haven't destroyed an OS yet.

Last week, I told my son to take his Dell E1505 lappy back to school and figure out how to move all his stuff off of it so I could wipe it clean. He shipped it back yesterday totally locked up. He got nothing off of it. The only way I finally figured out how to get into it was to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Task Manager. File/Create New Task / I typed in:

D: and hit enter. I got the Desktop to appear!

Then I ran Vundo Fix and SDFix. The computer then became usable after running each of these twice. But the popups returned /I've learned to ignore them. ;-)

I eventually managed to get McAfee Safety &Security Center (from AOL) to load. I even threw an old enterprise 8.0i Network Associates AV CD that I had in the bin [at it].
    And some superDATs I had laying around for good measure - they really wacked 8.0i. So I eventually removed 8.0i as I don't think it's really update'able anymore.

The popups persisted!

I then booted from the Dell restore CD, pretended to install new OS but selected the 'Repair' option once it realized there was an OS in place. The damn Dell CD could not produce tons of i386 related files and dll's. I skipped them. When I rebooted, IE was gone. Long story short, I went into "add and remove windows components" and unchecked IE. Rebooted. Went back in and added IE back in. Rebooted. IE 7.0 appeared! wtf?

I have had the devil of the time this evening trying to get Windows Updates to work. BITS and some Windows Auto Updates ...thingys in services.msc - they were crippled. That's where I spent hours and hours in the Microsoft self help area. I don't know what I finally did to make them start, but SP3 is now downloading as I type.....it's taking forever! ?? I'll post back tomorrow with a progress report.

All the while, I've been trying to figure out how to save his Cakewalk music files [which he considers precious]. They can be saved as a "Bundle" - FYI. Don't bother with just saving the .wav files - they are huge but useless!
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

I saved everything off of it that I was supposed to. The Automatic Updates is crippled again. Screw this. The Norton Ghosted image is loading now.

-TMack

LOL my son's Dell got infected again over the Tksgvg Holidays. I told him I'd be glad to reformat. He told me he could live with it since Opera and Safari seem to be working fine - just no IE or FF.

I called him yesterday and asked how it was going - he mentioned that he had gone to CNET's download.com and got Malwarebytes freeware and that took care of it.

If anything changes, I'll post back.
    -TMack

I have six pc's from private customers with antivirus xp 2008 which puts in my pocket about $700.00 or so for a days work.

All reformatted and re imaged. Pain in the ass. Guaranteed a few come back reinfected again no matter how much I try to idiotproof the machines and explain to the customers about basic security and the biggest issue...commonsense.

God bless em, its a living when your on unemployment.
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

Damn GOOD living, too.
    I do the same stuff, man. My absolute BEST seller is creating a hands-off
    installation disk using Nlite. I tell folks to backup important documents to a
    thumbdrive, and when their system gets crappy just pop in the DvD, boot to
    it and go grab a beer.

One would think this would lessen the number of help calls I get... but it
    doesn't. heh

Newest Article: PC Gaming Superiority
    http://richardmccord.com