Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GA-P35-DS3L/S3L S-series, Ultra Durable 2 mother board issues, possilby power supply?

I have the specifications for all of my hardware, but I don't know what to give you, so I'll just state my problem.

Lately, when I turn on my computer, the mouse, keyboard, and monitor are not detected. I wait, and it just sits there for upwards of 5 minutes. I have been able to get it started properly, however, but in order to do so, I flip the power supply switch while it is still failing to start up, then turn it back on again. I sometimes need to do this 3-5 times before either I give up or it turns on. I have tried using a different power supply, and the reason i think it is this is because i'm running a GeForce 8800 video card with an Intel Core 2 Duo and a 500 Watt power supply, but when I tried the different power supply (also 500 watts) a new message came up that said "Your Video card isn't getting enough power." Advice/help please

I built this about 3-4 months ago, this problem started about a month ago.

-gbenderk
    Last edited by gbenderk; 07-12-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Re: GA-P35-DS3L/S3L S-series, Ultra Durable 2 mother board issues, possilby power supply?

First off? WELCOME here! Glad you found us, sorry to hear you're having troubles, but that's why we hang around this joint!

Please list all your specs
    Mobo (I think I see that in the header, but just to make sure)

CPU (you listed that)
    PSU (type, model #)
    Memory
    Videocard (model #)
    Peripherals (hard drives, etc.)

Offhand, it seems you may not have a fully functioning PSU or not ewnough of one, but don't take that to the bank, I don't have enough info yet!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Re: GA-P35-DS3L/S3L S-series, Ultra Durable 2 mother board issues, possilby power supply?

PSU (Antec EARTHWATTS, EA-500)
    2 cards, 1 GB each, by Crucial
    Videocard (GeForce 8800, GV-NX88T512HP/256H)
    Peripherals ( 3 80 GB hard drives, 2 of which are partitioned into 2 parts, USB mouse, USB keyboard, iPod dock (USB), Speakers (onboard sound card), LAN, and monitor (digital to serial w/ converter))

Quote Originally Posted by gbenderk View Post
    PSU (Antec EARTHWATTS, EA-500)
    2 cards, 1 GB each, by Crucial
    Videocard (GeForce 8800, GV-NX88T512HP/256H)
    Peripherals ( 3 80 GB hard drives, 2 of which are partitioned into 2 parts, USB mouse, USB keyboard, iPod dock (USB), Speakers (onboard sound card), LAN, and monitor (digital to serial w/ converter))

I 've had 2 Antec PSU's; the first was a 480W which ran for about 3 months and was replaced by an Antec 550W PSU; that one lasted about 6 months.

They came from the same shop; they then pointed me to Fortron Source for a replacement 550W PSU.
    They stated that they had many Antec power supplies return under Warranty and they lost trust in them.

My current Enermax and Fortron Source PSU's are running 24/7 and have been for 2 years and more ... with an Overclocked CPU at full load (or at least 90-95% of that).

Other PSU's I have are Enermax.
    Fortron Source make their own PSU's, Enermax and Antec do not !

I would try connecting another PSU to your system, preferrably one from another maker ...
    Since the PSU is the system's basis (foundation), I would go with a 550-600 W model.
    If the PSU is not up to it, the system can't be !

As saying from a teacher of mine: (freely translated) "A system is but as good as its Power Supply"

Last edited by noorman; 07-10-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typos

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Yeah, when we tried a different PSU it was a different brand but still 500W. I don't know what kind it was though.

Yeah, when we tried a different PSU it was a different brand but still 500W. I don't know what kind it was though.

There of course is always the possibility that your motherboard is gone bad ...

But since you say that it will boot after a few kicks to the PSU's backside, I 'd start there.

You might just disconnect all the stuff that 's not really necessary to run the system (as a test) ...
    That would lower the load on the PSU immediately.

First, try another videocard if you can at all (not spending any money) and see if you get the same problem. Preferrably, a card with no power connections needed.

Second, can you test at a molex connector with the PC running and record the 12 & 5 v lines> Any decent but inexpensive digital volt meter (DVM) will do.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

The Antec EarthWatts PSU's are made by Seasonic and are top quality. They are every bit as good as a Fortron, Corsair, PCP&C, or Enermax. They are considerably higher quality than many of the PSU's that they distributed only a year or two ago, many of which were made by ChannelWell and just didn't hold up. While I can't vouch that your EW500 has enough power for that specific vid card I can't imagine that it wouldn't based on what I've personally experienced and what I've learned from others who know.

Don
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I see you are using a USB mouse and keyboard. Do you have a ps/2 mouse and keyboard handy, and if so, do you experience the same problems when you use them?

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

You might just disconnect all the stuff that 's not really necessary to run the system (as a test) ...
    That would lower the load on the PSU immediately.
    Tried that, it didn't work.

First, try another videocard if you can at all (not spending any money) and see if you get the same problem. Preferrably, a card with no power connections needed.

Second, can you test at a molex connector with the PC running and record the 12 & 5 v lines> Any decent but inexpensive digital volt meter (DVM) will do.
    1. I cannot without spending any money
    2. I have one at work which I will bring home.

Quote Originally Posted by alex666 View Post
    I see you are using a USB mouse and keyboard. Do you have a ps/2 mouse and keyboard handy, and if so, do you experience the same problems when you use them?

marty
    Yes, i have them, and the problem persists with those as well.
    Last edited by gbenderk; 07-11-2008 at 02:52 PM.

gbenderk, I re-read your first post and realized that it was not specified whether this was a brand new build or not (other than the comment "lately"). Is it a brand new system that has been doing this from the start, or had the system been running adequately and then started doing this? It sounds like the latter, and it would help if you could provide some history on your system, e.g., "It's always been quirky", or , "It ran rock solid for the past 6 months", whatever. Any unusual occurrences, e.g., I left it on during a thunderstorm, stuff like that. Are you using a UPS with voltage regulation? And did you build it? All new parts? Have you pulled the mobo out of the case and tried it? All this sort of stuff would help, as no suggestions so far seem to address what's going on.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

gbenderk, I re-read your first post and realized that it was not specified whether this was a brand new build or not (other than the comment "lately"). Is it a brand new system that has been doing this from the start, or had the system been running adequately and then started doing this? It sounds like the latter, and it would help if you could provide some history on your system, e.g., "It's always been quirky", or , "It ran rock solid for the past 6 months", whatever. Any unusual occurrences, e.g., I left it on during a thunderstorm, stuff like that. Are you using a UPS with voltage regulation? And did you build it? All new parts? Have you pulled the mobo out of the case and tried it? All this sort of stuff would help, as no suggestions so far seem to address what's going on.

marty
    It's had only one problem before, which was random shut downs, but that seems to have gone away, because i didn't do anything to solve it. This specific problem started probably about a month or so ago. I've only had the computer for 3-4 months. I built it. All new parts aside from the two cd/dvd drives and the floppy drive.

Also, i have always turned it off during thunderstorms

I plan to try a new, higher wattage PSU as soon as i can get my hands on one. If it doesn't work, then i'll just return it, but i'm pretty sure that it is the PSU, after all that i've heard regarding my problem.

Ok, i volt tested only the 12V rail (i didnt know how to test the others) and it came up at around 11V.

Ok, i volt tested only the 12V rail (i didnt know how to test the others) and it came up at around 11V.
    If your meter is accurate, then your 12v rail is well out of spec.

If your meter is accurate, then your 12v rail is well out of spec.

+12V should be at least 11.40 Volts, at idle and at load (and anything in between really) !
    ( ALL Voltages ought to be nominal +/- 5% )