Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Western Digital Black Edition and RE3 RAID 0 benchies

Western Digital 2 x 250 GB RE3 RAID 0 ICH9R 128k stripe.

The RE3 drives are remarkable, especially when you but them up against a solution that costs 4 times as much like the velociraptors:

2 x 300 GB Velociraptors RAID 0 32K Stripe ICH9R

Western Digital 1 TB Black edition 32mb cache single drive

I've had both the RE3 and Velociraptors now and can't say I regret getting rid of the velociraptors....got some money back into my pocket.

Performance of the black edition is somewhat disappointing. Burst speed is good but these do not show average reads any faster than most other drives, and the claim of 145 mb/s max str is crap.
    Last edited by BlackDragon24; 07-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Re: Western Digital Black Edition and RE3 RAID 0 benchies

Those perform great! I did not even know they existed. Maybe a good reason to get rid of the 74 gig raptors I have. They perform on par with 1 of those drives.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

I see they also have a 750 GB version
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=487

interesting specs
    QUOTE:
    WD Caviar Black drives combine a high performance electronics architecture with a rock solid mechanical architecture to deliver the perfect storage solution for your fully-loaded PC or maxed out gaming machine. Cool drive operation, no-touch head technology, and leading-edge vibration protection ensure enhanced reliability and sustained data throughput. And we back it all up with a 5-year limited warranty.

Key Features High Performance Electronics Architecture

Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance.

32 MB cache - Bigger, faster cache means faster performance.

Unquote:
    Dual processor ? That sounds interesting I would love to see these drives in a head to head compairson to the Velociraptor ( non raid )
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

BlackDragon24:
    Did you test either of the 250GB RE3 drives in a non-RAID configuration, i.e. single drive only?

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

According to WD's site, the RE3 drives use this so-called dual processor mechanism as well.

Unfortunately I did not test them in a single drive configuration and won't be doing that any time in the near future.

I'm loving the new setup. IMHO, WD just killed their own velociraptor product. Anyone who would buy 2 of those after seeing these results needs to have their head examined, or are just looking to throw away money. the 20K rpm raptor that is rumored to be in the works needs to come out soon!
    Last edited by BlackDragon24; 07-14-2008 at 01:23 PM.

TBH I would take a couple quiet 7200 rpm drives that perform well over the 10 or 20k rpm drives that are only marginally better. I run raid so these seem to be the perfect fit. What controller are you using in these tests?
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2

Just using my onboard ICH9R controller....

I agree....a $150 setup that is quieter and performs at about 90% of the speed of a $600 10,000 rpm setup seems fine to me.

To make an analogy....the RE3 drives are the ATI 4870, and the Velociraptors are the GTX 280. Only problem is that WD is stepping on its own feet here.

BTW I picked up these drives at provantage.....they've got em for $72 a drive....the whole deal with shipping cost $153. I ordered last Monday and they arrived Wednesday afternoon via fedex ground shipping. I was very impressed.

Unless the last screen snapshot is of the Velociraptors, there appears to be a serious problem with those HDTach benchmarks. I can believe the sustained transfer rates. But there is no way in hell that I can swallow the reported random access time of 7.1 milliseconds in the last screen shot unless that is for the raptors. A 7200 rpm drive has a rotational latency of 4.2 ms, which implies a seek tine of 3.x milliseconds, which is even faster than a raptor, indeed, a genuine equal of the best 15k rpm scsi drives on this planet. No way in hell I can believe that. And once again, as I have said for many years, one SHOULD NOT EVER be trapped by the STR bull shit alone. Discounting the importance of ACCESS TIME is a very serious mistake.

You are correct in your assessment BWM...I've reorganized them so they are a little easier to read....hopefully

Having had both setups in my system, I can't feel a bit of difference in day to day use. Only time I noted a difference was game map loading time, where the velociraptors seem to be about 50% faster.
    Last edited by BlackDragon24; 07-14-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Ok, I am using the same controller on mine and my two 74 gig raptors barely perform better than one of of those. Amazing. Looks like its time to start poking around for a pair of these!
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2

Quote Originally Posted by 0156 View Post
    Ok, I am using the same controller on mine and my two 74 gig raptors barely perform better than one of of those. Amazing. Looks like its time to start poking around for a pair of these!
    Wait...r u talking about the black edition drives or the RE3 drives?

The RE3 drives are in a RAID 0 stripe hence the fast speeds. The Black edition drive is a standalone.

With two 74 gig raptors in RAID 0, I would imagine you should be seeing AT LEAST 150 mb/s or so, no? Don't pay attention to burst rate.

Quote Originally Posted by 0156 View Post
    You could start with reading BWM's post above yours...

Maybe you should know what I am looking for in a drive before telling me I need help I did not ask for. I do a lot of encoding and video work so drive throughput is very important. These drives seem to be a good candidate for that. Not only that but 2 74 gig raptor drives are kinda small for an os drive for me at least. Also keep in mind I have the older version of the 74 gig raptor.
    An answer to the question above, I really only get around 100 to 110 mb/s from the pair and like I said they are some of the old ones. I have had the same results on 2 different Intel controllers and a promise controller.
    Last edited by 0156; 07-15-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2

Yeah I forget the technology on those older raptors has been surpassed quite easily nowadays....I'm shocked at how low those transfer rates are.

In case you missed my post above, I picked these up at provantage. I was going to get the 320gb version but the price on their site fluctuates daily for that one. I haven't seen them in stock at any other reliable retailers that I use (ZZF, Newegg, etc.).