Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Western Digital Black Edition and RE3 RAID 0 benchies

The black editions are desktop/performance/enthusiast class drives.

The RE3's are enterprise class drives that have gone through tighter QC and burn in testing.

Well looky looky what I found

http://www.provantage.com/western-di...s~7WND900V.htm
    http://www.provantage.com/western-di...s~7WND9010.htm

These are supposed to be the new versions with the hot swap compatible back plane....the price point of the 74gig version is just awful....

So it's seems that I made a serious mistake in buying to Velociraptor 150G units to run Raid - 0 with 32 striping then?

God I feel sick if this is true

Please BMW... tell me it's not so

Why was it tested with different stripe sizes?
    Last edited by Think; 11-04-2008 at 09:27 AM.
    You either game with a PC or you're not a gamer.

I've been runnning a couple of 36 gig raptors in raid 0 for a few years now, but reading this i see that i'd be crazy not to sell them on ebay and buy a 500 or maybe a couple of 250 re3's.

Anyway...the reason i'm posting is sort of off topic, but what are most people doing about vista/xp. I hate vista, so i've been running a dual boot system and it is a pain in the ass. Is it worth it to have vista at all? Or do games play as well on XP?

Thanks

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kpat99 View Post
    I've been runnning a couple of 36 gig raptors in raid 0 for a few years now, but reading this i see that i'd be crazy not to sell them on ebay and buy a 500 or maybe a couple of 250 re3's.

Anyway...the reason i'm posting is sort of off topic, but what are most people doing about vista/xp. I hate vista, so i've been running a dual boot system and it is a pain in the ass. Is it worth it to have vista at all? Or do games play as well on XP?

Thanks

Kevin
    First off, Vista is a better operating system then xp after you have implemented SP1. The new os will not be ready until the end of 2009. The HDtach is completely skewed and to quote Western Digital directley :

Response (Jeremy H.) 11/06/2008 02:45 PM
    Dear Mark,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

Where did you see that the Caviar Black drives are better than our VelociRaptor series? WD doesn't advertise any of our drives to be better than the other. WD recommends using VelociRaptor drives for maximum performance whereas Caviar Black for highest storage capacity. The VelociRaptor is a RAID drive whereas the Caviar Black may not work for RAID since it comes from our desktop family of drives.

Take a look and my 150g velociraptor results:

and

STR doesnt matter nowadays. I would rather see some good IO test where the velociraptors would really shine vs HDtach.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    So it's seems that I made a serious mistake in buying to Velociraptor 150G units to run Raid - 0 with 32 striping then?

God I feel sick if this is true

Please BMW... tell me it's not so
    No, it is NOT true. NO non-SCSI drive on this planet comes close to matching a VelociRaptor. Period. Some experimentation is required with various stripe/cluster size combinations to determine what kind of overall performance profile is right for you.

Why was it tested with different stripe sizes?
    Some experimentation is required with various stripe/cluster size combinations to determine what kind of overall performance profile is right for you. Different stripe and cluster size combinations can have a very marked effect on read and rates with small files.

First off, Vista is a better operating system then xp after you have implemented SP1. The new os will not be ready until the end of 2009. The HDtach is completely skewed and to quote Western Digital directley :

Take a look and my 150g velociraptor results:

and

STR doesnt matter nowadays. I would rather see some good IO test where the velociraptors would really shine vs HDtach.
    Those are excellent benchmark results. Exactly what one should expect from a two drive stripe of VelociRqaptors. These benchmarks are, however, only low-level performance metrics, mostly for troubleshooting, etc. IOmeter results will vastly outdo any other non-SCSI drives in existence.

Hi BMW. Yes, I've concluded that the velociraptors are definitely the choice to choose for my purposes. I've installed IO but what would be considered a standardized test for IO? I have little experience using the program and would like to post results.

Thank you.

Hi BMW. Yes, I've concluded that the velociraptors are definitely the choice to choose for my purposes. I've installed IO but what would be considered a standardized test for IO? I have little experience using the program and would like to post results.

Thank you.
    Here's what to expect. Bottom of the page.

http://www.storagereview.com/WD3000BLFS.sr?page=0%2C2

FWIW, here are my benchies using two 300 gig velociraptors with a 32K stripe.

In my experimentation using a 32K stripe with 8K cluster was the best performer for everyday stuff and gamins. If you are using an array for video rendering and large file manipulation, a 64/128/256 stripe may be more useful. My rule of thumbs is to use a 4/1 ratio stripe/cluster. YMMV

On my budget i'm definitely going to be sticking with 7200 rpm. But is it worth getting the new re3 series? Is there that big of a gain? I'm in canada, and this weekend a local store has wd caviar 500 gb drives for 70 bucks, or i could get the re3 for a 100. Or i could get 2 X 250 re3's for 150...

For moderate video editing and gaming will i really see a big difference?

Thanks

Kevin

I'm looking at the 320 gb RE3's model WD3202ABYS

Can get 2 of them for 158.00 USD. If anybody has any comments at all about them please let me know before i go ahead and buy them

thanks

kevin

I have two of the 250 gig re3's and they are smokin fast in RAID 0:

I don't think there are better performing 7200 rpm drives on the market right now