LPT port problems with GA-P35-DS3R

I've got a GA-P35-DS3R mobo which hasn't got the parallel port D-type on the board, but a header which I've connected the gigabyte 25-pin adaptor to. I've set the port to work in ECP/EPP mode in the BIOS, so hopefully it should do all the stuff I need.

I'm trying to use the parallel port to do some bit-banging I2C stuff which I use with some simple hardware based around a 7405 IC. The hardware worked fine on my old PC, and I'm driving it with some C-code I have written under Linux. I'm trying the same on the gigabyte-mobo PC and it's not working. It seems that some of the data pins are doing the right thing, but not so sure about some of the other control pins.

Sorry for asking about something rather obscure; but has anyone else experienced problems with the LPT port on this board?

Re: LPT port problems with GA-P35-DS3R

Quote Originally Posted by davemar View Post
    I've got a GA-P35-DS3R mobo which hasn't got the parallel port D-type on the board, but a header which I've connected the gigabyte 25-pin adaptor to. I've set the port to work in ECP/EPP mode in the BIOS, so hopefully it should do all the stuff I need.

I'm trying to use the parallel port to do some bit-banging I2C stuff which I use with some simple hardware based around a 7405 IC. The hardware worked fine on my old PC, and I'm driving it with some C-code I have written under Linux. I'm trying the same on the gigabyte-mobo PC and it's not working. It seems that some of the data pins are doing the right thing, but not so sure about some of the other control pins.

Sorry for asking about something rather obscure; but has anyone else experienced problems with the LPT port on this board?

Did you check the manual(s) for the layout of the pins on the header ?
    ( most of the time, they are listed and figured in a mobo manual ...

That way, you could track down differences and solve the problem !

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Yeah, I'd check to make sure the signals are going where you think they should. I'm still trying to get the COM port working and it only has 9 pins. The ribbon cable adapter I have doesn't work. I didn't think there were that many ways you could wire a ribbon cable between a DB9 and a pin header.
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, Intel E8400
    Asus A7V880, AthlonXP 2600+ Mobile
    ATI 9600XT AIW, Diamond Viper ATI 3870

I'm sure the header is connected correctly as the data pin I'm using seem to be doing the right thing when I read or write to it. IIRC I'm using the ERROR, SELECT and BUSY lines too (I'm not at home to check this at the moment), and it's those I've got my doubts about. I think the output stuff is working OK, but the input signals are not being correctly read. I'll have to poke around a bit more directly with the pins to investigate.

The circuit I'm using is pretty much what is used here:
    http://jcoppens.com/globo/gl4pre/t_c...ta/adapter.gif

I'm sure the header is connected correctly as the data pin I'm using seem to be doing the right thing when I read or write to it. IIRC I'm using the ERROR, SELECT and BUSY lines too (I'm not at home to check this at the moment), and it's those I've got my doubts about. I think the output stuff is working OK, but the input signals are not being correctly read. I'll have to poke around a bit more directly with the pins to investigate.

The circuit I'm using is pretty much what is used here:
    http://jcoppens.com/globo/gl4pre/t_c...ta/adapter.gif

We don't have permission to view that one !??

Hmmm, seems to work fine from here.

Anyway, I've solved the problem. The circuit diagram you can't see has pins 10,13 & 25 connected to ground. While this might be OK with some LPT ports where all the grounds are connected to each other, it appears to be different with the Gigabyte one. The grounds are obviously paired only to specific pins (as the LPT specification states I think). So I connected all the ground pins (18 to 25) together, and now it works perfectly.

Hmmm, seems to work fine from here.

Anyway, I've solved the problem. The circuit diagram you can't see has pins 10,13 & 25 connected to ground. While this might be OK with some LPT ports where all the grounds are connected to each other, it appears to be different with the Gigabyte one. The grounds are obviously paired only to specific pins (as the LPT specification states I think). So I connected all the ground pins (18 to 25) together, and now it works perfectly.