ubuntu questions

how much coding/programming knowledge does just installing games and drivers on ubuntu require?

what would the advantages and disadvantages be over windows?

what would the graphics api be?
    It is incumbent upon every generation to pay it's own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted upon would save one-half the wars in the world. ~Thomas Jefferson
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Truth Is Treason In the Empire Of Lies. ~ Ron Paul

Re: ubuntu questions

Quote Originally Posted by vote ron paul View Post
    how much coding/programming knowledge does just installing games and drivers on ubuntu require?
    None

what would the advantages and disadvantages be over windows?
    Advantages, many. Disadvantages, few.

what would the graphics api be?
    OpenGL?

Diddo everything that Ned said.

But I don't know what you mean by graphics API? I'm not familiar with that term in this context.

I still don't understand where this misconception that people have about needing programming skills to use Linux. Honestly I never needed to program anything other then some hacking I did to do some really customized tasks on a couple of servers I made. But that has nothing to do with day to day use or maintenance a home user would face.

Unless you want to build your own Linux distribution, you need no programming skills to do anything that you can do with a Windows computer. Even Gentoo which many claim to be the hardest of any of the main Linux distros available, does not require a programming background.

The only time you need to have programming experience is if you want to do something that none of the millions of other Linux users have done before. So if you're an average user you will not come across this problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Diddo everything that Ned said.

But I don't know what you mean by graphics API? I'm not familiar with that term in this context.

I still don't understand where this misconception that people have about needing programming skills to use Linux. Honestly I never needed to program anything other then some hacking I did to do some really customized tasks on a couple of servers I made. But that has nothing to do with day to day use or maintenance a home user would face.

Unless you want to build your own Linux distribution, you need no programming skills to do anything that you can do with a Windows computer. Even Gentoo which many claim to be the hardest of any of the main Linux distros available, does not require a programming background.

The only time you need to have programming experience is if you want to do something that none of the millions of other Linux users have done before. So if you're an average user you will not come across this problem at all.
    Thanks to both of you=]

Well, i'll explain about graphics api. i had just thought it couldn't use dx since it wasn't ms. so how does it work around that?
    It is incumbent upon every generation to pay it's own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted upon would save one-half the wars in the world. ~Thomas Jefferson
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Truth Is Treason In the Empire Of Lies. ~ Ron Paul

Not all games are created with Direct X. There is lots of good stuff done with OpenGL, and popular games like the Unreal Tournament series work great on Linux. In addition, there are tons of open source games that are pretty fun, however, they are not games where 35% of the budget goes to marketing and anti-piracy taxes. A videophile like yourself will also appreciate the headway being made with regards to video drivers.

As a Windows developer, I use Linux (Ubuntu) for pretty much all my PC games now. (I just end up programming if I boot into Windows) If I am not playing an open source game, I am playing my Windows oriented games through WINE (GuildWars, Unreal, Steam Games, Ultimate Alliance)

I use command line for pretty much everything because I like typing commands and know that GUI's are essentially a presentation layer doing the same thing. However, as I become more comfortable with Linux, I try to start using the GUI and it is incredibly easy.

Don't forget, if you have questions about Ubuntu, you can always just download it and try it out.

Linux by nature is very simple and powerful, but like all things in life (like starting a new job, learning to play an instrument, or trying to beat a game with a breakthrough design) it can be a little challenge initially as your mind has to start learning things it is unfamiliar with.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Wine tends to run some DX games now. It most likely wont run any games designed for the latest DX, but they claim it will run WoW.

Wine just did a major upgrade so I tried an old game I had, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, and I was surprised how flawlessly it worked. Some games I've tried in the past wouldn't display everything properly (missing items like menus, motion would cause artifacts to be left behind, etc). But this game worked perfectly.

I have a couple of other games from that same era that I'd like to try. If I get around to it I'll post the results.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 07-22-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't WINE have some Google backing now? I know Google had something to do with them getting to 1.0, but I don't know how much continued support they are providing.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't WINE have some Google backing now? I know Google had something to do with them getting to 1.0, but I don't know how much continued support they are providing.
    Yes Google contribute heavily to WINE:

http://code.google.com/opensource/wine.html

So are there any issues with installing windows games to Ubuntu? BF2, bf2142, steam games, etc etc.

And what about drivers for things? All good.

I'm thinking about dual booting Vista and Ubunutu 8.04 to try but I don't want to do the whole changeover just yet.

Not unless I find the time...
    Eat right. Stay fit. Die anyway.

new games don't work, COD4, BF2, BF2142, out of luck there.

Appearently Steam works under WINE. Although I haven't tried it as I don't own any Steam games.

Now you have to remember that most games are not designed to work under Linux. There is no support from the manufactures of these games. To them, Linux does not exist.

I am still a little reluctant on recommending WINE to a new Linux user. Even though WINE continues to get better and better, the vast majority of Windows applications do not work under WINE. But on the flip side, some Windows viruses do work under WINE. Hence adding WINE to a Linux install is a double edged sward. Yes you gain some compatibility, but you also gain Window's vulnerabilities.

The makers of WINE are stuck with the same issues Microsoft are still facing since Microsoft didn't consider some basic network/user security issues when designing Windows 95. Microsoft are still suffering from those mistakes today with Vista. Its impossible to have reverse compatibility without reverse vulnerability.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemyth View Post
    So are there any issues with installing windows games to Ubuntu? BF2, bf2142, steam games, etc etc.

And what about drivers for things? All good.

I'm thinking about dual booting Vista and Ubunutu 8.04 to try but I don't want to do the whole changeover just yet.

Not unless I find the time...
    There are some cool games written for *nix. I haven't tried it yet, but this looks really cool http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/downloads.html

Lots of games on the quake engine will work in *nix.

I guess I'll give it a miss then. I'm a gamer and a fan of the battlefield series.
    Eat right. Stay fit. Die anyway.

Here's a link to Wine's application database. It lists all the programs and games that work under it. But if the application does not get a Platinum or a Gold rating, then its probably not worth trying.

There is also another system specially designed to run Windows games under Linux. Its called Cedega by TransGaming. Here is their game list: http://www.cedega.com/gamesdb/

The only thing is Cedega is not open source software so you will have to pay TransGaming to use it. Also, since its closed source, TransGaming is the only ones who will support their product.

BTW, have a look under the 'B' section on TransGaming's website.

Hmmm, ya know I wonder if it would be worth the time.......

my VMware 2K box is installed on my raid0 raptors - I have 2gig ram allocated to it, it runs VERY fast, faster than any standalone server I've seen.

I wonder if there could be a way to use the true graphics and sound drivers for XP, instead of the vmware enhanced (generic)?

If so, that could be an option .