Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monitor shut off, no BIOS post, no keyboard or mouse lights, will not boot

I was working on my computer when the monitor suddenly shutoff. I did a manual reset and now the monitor will not turn on and the BIOS will not post. After trying several things, the BIOS posted once, and now will not post anymore. I reset all items. Booted the computer with only the CPU, RAM and Video card, still no post. I tried a different power supply, still no beeps or posts. No keyboard or mouse lights either. Any help ASAP would be great! Thanks!!!!

Re: Monitor shut off, no BIOS post, no keyboard or mouse lights, will not boot

Quote Originally Posted by zm15 View Post
    I was working on my computer when the monitor suddenly shutoff. I did a manual reset and now the monitor will not turn on and the BIOS will not post. After trying several things, the BIOS posted once, and now will not post anymore. I reset all items. Booted the computer with only the CPU, RAM and Video card, still no post. I tried a different power supply, still no beeps or posts. No keyboard or mouse lights either. Any help ASAP would be great! Thanks!!!!

Which Gigabyte board ?

Have you visually checked the mainboard completely (for blown or burnt stuff) ?

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP

Yes i have checked the motherboard for blown or black fuses. I cant find any.

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP

Yes i have checked the motherboard for blown or black fuses. I cant find any.

I meant any component, not only fuses ( most have none, some have resettable ones on USB I/O - they don't mark when tripped though )

Yes i have checked all components. No blown or burnt stuff. What are resettable on the motherboard?

Yes i have checked all components. No blown or burnt stuff. What are resettable on the motherboard?

If there are any, they are reset by letting them cool down; they get tripped by high temperature ...

Checked and/or reseated all connectors ?

Do you have a DVM to measure onboard voltages, like anything that 's fabricated (V-regulators) locally, meaning Vcore, Vmem, Vchipset, etc. ?

I have reset all components. Reseated all the RAM, including in different slots, and the CPU as well. No unfortunately i dont have a DVM to measure the voltages. Does it sound like a bad motherboard? or CPU?

It kind of sounds like what happened to me. http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=456687

A new PSU with more power fixed the problem. You said u tried a new PSU, but was it the same wattage or did it have more power?

I tried one with more wattage, antec basiq 500, instead of enermax 465, but less amps on the 12v rail, 30amp instead of 33amps on enermax PS. I have had the computer for 5 years, then it stopped working all the sudden. Thanks for the thread. I don't think i need a more powerful PS because it has been working right for 5 years. thoughts?

Well, with age old caps degrade and will indeed require more power but my other though is how much is the board actually worth investing in, especially if it might be dead. Either one of those power supplies you mentioned should be more than enough to power it up. Have you done a cmos clr? Try reseating the cpu too and booting with only 1 stick of ram in it. Here's an off topic story. I came home a couple weeks ago and a ga-p35-ds3l that I had running as a dedicated cruncher was powered off. Thinking nothing of it, I powered it up and almost immediately was greeted by a small fire in the mosfet area
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    **cruncher #2 lp-dk x58/w3520@4100 ***cruncher #3 tpower x58/w3520@4100 ****cruncher #4 dx58so/w3520@4100
    *****cruncher #5 m2f/x3360@3910 ******cruncher #6 790i/q6600@3600

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

I agree with you loonym, not sure worth investing in except i have 5 years worth of data on a RAID 0 with the gigaraid on board chipset, so i need the same exact one to save the data. And yes i've tried one stick and clear the CMOS, no go, but something did happen...

Update: I removed 2 sticks of ram and reseated the processor, got a POST beep. Then nothing. It seems that sometimes when i put pressure on the heatsink of the CPU it will give a post beep, but them not other times. Does this mean my processors bad?

Raid 0 critical data with no backup... always a very risky venture. Wouldn't be a bad idea to make a hardware sig or just fill out the form in user cp, it'll help people when they try and help you troubleshoot your gear. Are the fans spinning up when you power up, lights, hdds spinning up? Strip it to bare essentials. 1 ram, cpu/hsf, vid, hdd. Do that cpu reseat again, clr cmos, maybe you'll get it with one of those 2 psu.
    **cruncher #2 lp-dk x58/w3520@4100 ***cruncher #3 tpower x58/w3520@4100 ****cruncher #4 dx58so/w3520@4100

maybe it will!

ok, i will post my hardware sig, sorry about that, and also try again the things you said. Yes fans are spinning, as are hard drives, etc.. Quick question, if i just have my HSF sitting on top of my CPU (with thermal paste), not fastened in, but secure, does that affect if it gives the bios beep or not?

I have a HSF that's terrible to take on and off to reseat the CPU, wondering if this matters at all. Thanks!!
    Last edited by zm15; 07-23-2008 at 11:24 PM.

The hs not being fastened shouldn't matter. I sometimes run on the bench with a TRUE just perched atop the cpu.

maybe it will!