3gb vs 4gb -> any major differences?

Here's the thing: I have Vista Basic 32-bit and want to upgrade the memory on it. I know that Vista Basic will only detect 3.2GB if I do put in 4gb in it. So I was wondering if I should just get 3gb of ram instead of getting 4gb? Also, is there a noticable difference between 3gb and 4gb?
    Thanks

Re: 3gb vs 4gb -> any major differences?

I think the biggest difference would come from dual channel if you did 2x2 over 3x1. At the prices it's probably worth just getting 2x2 if you're in the market.

Just get a 2x2 kit and avoid the headaches of mixing and matching sticks. You won't be able to use it all but if in the future you decide to go to a 64 bit OS you'll already be set and you'll still have the ability to add more later if your MOBO has more than 2 slots.

depends, how much ram do you currently have installed? and in what configuration? if you have 2x1gb then i'd just go ahead and get a 2gb stick as similar to the stuff you already have as you can. keep one of the 1gb sticks and throw the 2gb stick in with it. you'll still have 2gb of ram operation in dual channel and the remaining 1gb in single channel.

this is the most cost effective upgrade, and one i have recently performed on my laptop with good success.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Don't want to highjack this but I have one sort of similar question.

Main difference being that I'm using XP Pro 32bit. I know that I can't get all 4GB out of it but wanted to know would it do any harm to install it anyway?
    I have 2 x 1gb sticks in already and bought two more of the same memory (as it's cheap) - OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Platinum.
    So should I just put one of them in or will putting both in do any harm?

Thanks!

You should put in both. No harm will be done; Windows simply doesn't access the region of memory space it's using for I/O memory mapping.

You need to put in both anyway or else the memory that is accessed can't used in dual-channel mode. (It's even slightly possible your motherboard requires you to fill both slots. Not likely, but possible.)
    Last edited by Zach; 08-15-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks for that. Stuck the 2 in this weekend, no probs... yet!

Cheers!