XP SP3 is now an Automatic Update

..just in case you guys hadn't noticed yet. Been a while since it went RTM. I wonder if anything's changed...

Re: XP SP3 is now an Automatic Update

I caught it and unchecked it, I turned my automatic updates to ask before installing because I don't want it yet. My last install was having so many problems I wanted to rule it out.

I still run Windows Update manually. I don't trust MS. Having said that I updated to SP3 on a test HD before I let it mess with my XP installation. Works fine for me.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Yeah I've been using it for a while and on my own rigs it hasn't been a problem - provided it was installed over the top of SP2 and not on a slipstreamed CD. What I was referring to about any changes is all the AMD machines it failed to work on. Not sure if it's been fixed to work on them (now that it's an Automatic Update).

It has not been a problem on my AMD machines and I have 3 still running XP.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I've had SP3 installed since it came out I slipstreamed it into my copy of Windows XP Pro my original disk I bought 5 years ago. After installing it and getting everything back up drivers & programs etc I can honestly see some improvement the system seems snappier more faster.
    Windows XP 32bit SP3 (Moving to Win 7 RC1 64bit Soon)
    AMD Phenom 9550 AM2+ (4x 2.2ghz - Stock)
    Gigabyte GA-MA78G DS3H AM2+ (R1.0 BIOS F4)
    Kingston Hyper-X 4GB PC8500 DDR2 Kit (5-5-5-15 2.1v)
    Some Seagate RMA'd HDD (Upgrading To A SSD For Op Sys, & WD 250GB 7,200rpm SATA-II HDD For Storage)
    PNY 9600GT 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0
    Samsung SH-S138L DVD-RW
    Active Power 850w Mod PSU

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    It has not been a problem on my AMD machines and I have 3 still running XP.
    I was referring to the reported problems with OEM branded AMD machines. I also have three AMD PC's running SP3 with no issue.

I was referring to the reported problems with OEM branded AMD machines. I also have three AMD PC's running SP3 with no issue.
    My laptop is an AMD computer. It was my test computer before I installed it on the rest of the computers.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    My laptop is an AMD computer. It was my test computer before I installed it on the rest of the computers.
    Good for you The problem with AMD PC's is well documented. Google with keywords like SP3, AMD and HP (or Dell).

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Yeah I've been using it for a while and on my own rigs it hasn't been a problem - provided it was installed over the top of SP2 and not on a slipstreamed CD.
    Why? I have been using it slipstreamed for a while without a problem (except for one time)
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by 081423 View Post
    Why? I have been using it slipstreamed for a while without a problem (except for one time)
    Because when I used the slipstreamed CD on my main rig, things went horribly wrong. Like I said, that problem applies to one of my own rigs. I've used the SP3 CD on several other systems since then without issue. All of those were Intel systems.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelfireUk83 View Post
    I've had SP3 installed since it came out I slipstreamed it into my copy of Windows XP Pro my original disk I bought 5 years ago. After installing it and getting everything back up drivers & programs etc I can honestly see some improvement the system seems snappier more faster.
    I am with you , I did the same and IMO slipstreamed worked better then just downloading SP3 and putting that over SP2 . Only thing I did do different is intergrate IE7 and WMP 11 into my disk w/SP3
    BTW my machine is a AMD system and I did a fresh install
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Would be interesting to know if they did anything different to correct some of the issues that various people have encountered. My guess is …. Nope…… Microsoft more than likely figured that most of the troublesome PC’s have been found and taken care of… Microsoft’s usually poor logic IMO.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870