Thread: BIOS Upgrade

BIOS Upgrade

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade the BIOS on my ASUS M2V-MX SE motherboard using the application I got from under BIOS utilities at this site:
    http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

I ran it and chose to upgrade the BIOS from a file, selected the .ROM file that I had downloaded from the website (under BIOS), but I get the following error message:

"The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present. Press [EXIT] button to exit."

Any help in getting this sorted out would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -tkr
    Last edited by Tekker; 07-25-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Re: BIOS Upgrade

Sounds like your board may have had the wrong bios loaded on it ...
    See the thread here:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Ok, I booted from the ME bootup disk and then put in the other CD containing the afu236u.exe program and the MXSE0504.ROM file.

Then at the DOS prompt I typed

A:\> cd e:

to move to my CD drive, but I got the following error message:

Invalid media type reading drive A
    Abort, Retry, Fail?

Is this because I'm using a CD for the boot disk instead of a floppy? If so, I don't have a floppy drive in this computer, so is there any way I can make this work from the CD?

Thanks,
    -tkr
    Last edited by Tekker; 07-25-2008 at 04:50 AM.

What drive are you in at the dos prompt ? Not sure what me boot disk you have ?
    If you don't have a floppy a: drive then you can't use the command A:\> cd e: as you don't have an a:

I'm using the ME boot disk mentioned in the thread that you posted. This is where I got it from:
    http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

I burned the iso image onto a CD and booted to dos with that. Since my CD drive is drive E should I be going to drive E at the dos prompt? If so, it's not working because it's apparently putting me at drive A.

-tkr

Check in your bios and make sure that floppy is disabled.

Otherwise, what happens if you just pop the boot disk out after you are at the prompt, pop in the disk with the bios/dos utility on it and then type the command afu236u etc....

It looks like the problem was trying to use "cd e:" to get to the e drive, using just "e:" instead worked.

I also changed to the e drive before removing the windows boot disk, then I just put the other CD in and typed the command to update it.

It went through the BIOS update and finished with no problems, but when I rebooted it gave a CMOS error. So I went into the BIOS and saved it and then it booted right up. But at the bottom of my BIOS is still says v02.53 instead of the new version I installed (v05.04). Which is very strange.

-tkr

That's just the version of the award software that you are looking at...not the Asus bios #.
    Asus update will let you check the version of bios installed.

Ah, ok... It is updated then.

I was looking at the wrong thing before also, so I don't know what version I actually had installed previously and now I guess I'll never know.

Thanks for your help CMB!

-tkr
    Last edited by Tekker; 07-26-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekker View Post
    I was looking at the wrong thing before also, so I don't know what version I actually had installed previously and now I guess I'll never know.
    Asus update will tell you this.
    MK
    Windows 7 Home Pro 64-bit + Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 + AMD Phenom II X6 1055T + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600