ecs am2/+ vs kn1

once or twice i have voiced my anger and disappointment in my ecs ka3 and 770 boards. there are many boards with bios limitations that can be just written off as the norm and is the difference between a good board and a great one from most manufacturers. what gets me is ecs has a bad bios that is fixable and make a poor oc board into possibly a great one. ecs lists the ka3 as:
    Extreme overclocking and unprecedented control over system behavior
    and the 770 as:
    Over-Clocking
    Maximizes your system performance by selecting from these overclocking options
    (1) Flexible CPU/DDR core voltage adjustments
    (2) Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio
    . does no good if the divider defaults to 1t command rate and no command rate setting to change it to 2t. does no good to have primary timings without a cas setting which defaults to cas 5 or a cas setting and none of the other primary timing settings. then there is the maximum .05v vcore on the ka3.

this all wouldn't be an issue if i didn't own a kn1. it would be easy to say ecs makes a good entry level board or has mid level ones that have nice features but expect limited oc with them.

a while back i traded a 170(10x280) to a friend for his 165 opty that was causing him fits trying to get over 9x280. his board was one of those good boards that have an htt limitation. i knew i had at least 3 boards that were 300htt+. the other day i found a 4th one.

the second screenie is the max bootable htt and didn't run a full prime95 since it was well under the maximun clock speed. nuff said!

might as well throw in a pic.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 08-02-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Re: ecs am2/+ vs kn1

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    a while back i traded a 170(10x280) to a friend for his 165 opty that was causing him fits trying to get over 9x280. his board was one of those good boards that have an htt limitation. i knew i had at least 3 boards that were 300htt+. the other day i found a 4th one.

the second screenie is the max bootable htt and didn't run a full prime95 since it was well under the maximun clock speed. nuff said!

might as well throw in a pic.

ud
    Must be nice old bean to go where I couldn't! Good to see you got the board & chip to its potential.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3