Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New HTPC Builder, need advice

Hey all,
    Well this is my first post here, but I come here often seeking answers

To my question: I just recently dove into building a HTPC because I had some spare parts laying around to use, but I have come across a few questions I hope you guys/gals could help me with.

Parts list:
    case: Fusion 430 Black

mobo: gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H

proc: AMD 5000x2 Black edition

memory: need advice, currently looking at OCZ Platinum(2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066

heatsink & fan: This is my biggest problem as I don't know what to get I have been looking at the ninja mini, but I am concerned with size and cooling ability. I saw a few posts here of people using it in this case, but I guess I was looking for a little more assurance

HDD: WD 250gig (for now)

DVD: NEC 3550A (for now)

PSU: 430w that came with case

Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface

I am looking for some advice on which way to go with this build. I have included some pics below of what I have so far, nothing much but accumulated parts, but pics nonetheless. ALSO, as you can see I am NOT impressed with the location of the PCI x1 slot as the tuner card sits RIGHT above the northbridge!!! I can only imagine this is going to cause problems, but I have no alternative at the moment.

Pics:

Tuner Card Pics:
    I'm a sig.

Re: New HTPC Builder, need advice

zalman 8700 is supposed to be good for HTPC's. It blows down and should help cool your NB too.

For memory I'd get a ddr2-800 kit with the lowest timings possible, as ddr 2 1066 speeds won't do anything for you on that processor. Even if you do decide to OC you can just raise the multi.

Hey thanks for the info! I really wanted to order the parts today to be delivered prior to the weekend, so I went with the ninja scythe mini and OCZ memory at 1066. I figure if I decide to upgrade the proc down the line to a phenom, I have the memory to go with it, and it was only around $20 more.

My only worry is the proximity of the tuner card to the north bridge. I have no idea why they would build this mobo this way, they have to be fools honestly. If the NB becomes an issue I may have to invest in a separate vid card and disable the onboard video. Also, my last dilemma is to use or not use the razor sound card I have...
    I'm a sig.

from what i heard about the scythe mini your gonna have a helluva time getting it on an AM2 socket because it wasnt really made for that but i havent expereinced this so ill be looking for your input on this
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."

doh!
    I'm a sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayu View Post
    doh!
    well its listed that it can but from reviews on newegg it seems like its a really bad fit

i heard the du orb is a low profile cpu cooler which im going to get myself as soon as i get a bit of money
    "Remember, as you walk by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so shall you be, Remember this and follow me."

do you have a link to the orb?
    I'm a sig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106114

it looks good and from thew bench marks it looks like it keeps up with some of the best and IMO looks good doing it

Oh that! yes, I did see that and consider, but i thought two fans woudl be very loud. I just got the minja in yesterday but I am working all day today so i can't try to put it in. I did dry fit it into the case and it is going to be tight....so we will see. I will be attching it to the mobo later tonight or tomorrow, I will take pics for ya.
    I'm a sig.

If it fits, the Mini is an awesome cooler. If your case ventilation is good, you can run it without a fan and still get great cooling. It is one of the most popular HSF's among the HTPC crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    If it fits, the Mini is an awesome cooler. If your case ventilation is good, you can run it without a fan and still get great cooling. It is one of the most popular HSF's among the HTPC crowd.
    but like i said ive heartd horror storys of what people have done with getting it on an AM2/AM2+ socket

Quote Originally Posted by Vear Heart View Post
    but like i said ive heartd horror storys of what people have done with getting it on an AM2/AM2+ socket
    That may be true, but from what I have heard from AVS and other places, it is maybe the best HTPC cooling out there if it fits properly. Particularly since it will work very will without a fan at all, which is of utmost importance with an HTPC. And I havent heard of any AMD problems there. I also tend to take Newegg feedback with a grain of salt, since people are MUCH more likely to write in with a problem, rather than with a good experience. And the experience level of most of those that rate themselves "high" are highly suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    That may be true, but from what I have heard from AVS and other places, it is maybe the best HTPC cooling out there if it fits properly. Particularly since it will work very will without a fan at all, which is of utmost importance with an HTPC. And I havent heard of any AMD problems there. I also tend to take Newegg feedback with a grain of salt, since people are MUCH more likely to write in with a problem, rather than with a good experience. And the experience level of most of those that rate themselves "high" are highly suspect.
    very true but i did hear the same exact thing on about 6 reviews not altogether just after looking into it one night i had come across that

ok, quick update, I just installed it in a matter of a minute. screw on the correct adapter, clip one side in, clip in the other and done. Will post pics when the wife gets home with the dig camera.
    I'm a sig.

Kool!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!